Grenadine Islands Excursions

Cotanomore

We board Saturday for the Grenadines so I can let you know when we come back if we do anything we'd recommend (unless of course you're on the same trip in which case, we're both going in clueless 😁)

• Like 1

This whole “smaller ships goes to ports the big ship can’t go to” is crap. There is nothing to do in these ports. The catamaran trips are the same company in every port and they suck.  Stay on the ship, enjoy the relaxation, quiet time and self reflection. The excursion aren’t very exiting and most people come back saying they would have rather stayed on the ship or explore don’t their own. 

This cruise line is all about the ship and the sails. 

Well, it wouldn't be any of the "boat" tours we'd do anyway - We're already on a boat so I don't feel the need to pay money to go on another type of boat!! It would be more the treks, food or more heritage type excursions that would might consider - The ones where you get to see a bit of the islands where we stop (so it doesn't actually matter where the boat anchors). Of course, I see us being just as happy hanging out on the clipper or at the beach or towns/village with a drink in hand too, so we'll see!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

This whole “smaller ships goes to ports the big ship can’t go to” is crap. There is nothing to do in these ports. The catamaran trips are the same company in every port and they suck.  Stay on the ship, enjoy the relaxation, quiet time and self reflection. The excursion aren’t very exiting and most people come back saying they would have rather stayed on the ship or explore don’t their own. 

This cruise line is all about the ship and the sails. 

To a point. It all depends where you sail. I have sailed with Star Clippers many times and their sailings in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean are like chalk and cheese.

In the Med the emphasis is on interesting ports, and the ship's small size does enable it to get into some ports which cannot handle large cruise ships. So as well as or instead of  Naples you get Sorrento or Amalfi, as well as Cannes you may get Portofino, in Dubrovnik you drop anchor just outsde the main harbour instead of being bused in from Port Gruz several miles away.....

In the Caribbean however, the emphasis is very much on beaches. Often the beach rather than the port itself is main the destination, in some cases with a "wet" landing where there is no jetty. And there is usually a beach BBQ on one of them. Fine if that is your thing, a bit boring if it is not. Which is why I have sailed with them many times in the Med, but only once in the Caribbean.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We did one excursion - The 4 by 4 trip on St Lucia and I would recommend. It was about 2 hours or so, we saw a bit of the Island and got some local knowledge from the guide. Aside from that, we were happy to just wander around on our own at the various stops.