Alaska Lindblad vs other - Worth it? Whose done both to compare?

Trying to weigh the cost of a Lindblad expedition in Alaska vs other mid sized more luxury ships.  I want to really see and experience Alaska but would like a nice ship, experience as well.  Tell me why I should choose Lindblad?  

• 2 weeks later...

Most definitely worth the cost. We had previously done an Alaska cruise on HA and while it was OK, we were kind of underwhelmed.

When we did the Lindblad version a few years later (on the Sea Bird), we thought the entire experience was about as good as it could possibly be. Getting in to smaller places, like Elfin Cove, etc., made a big difference. We have taken a total of four Lindblad/NatGeo trips, with a fifth one coming up later this year. In my opinion, they are tops at what they do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to Alaska family cruise for my 70th in 2025. 7 of us, including a 15 & 17 year old. I prefer small ships, but don’t want my grandkids to get bored. I see that Lindblad has daytime activities for teens, but wonder if much for them in evenings. 
I’m also considering NCL Haven which would offer more at night.

Opinions? TIA

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2023 at 6:57 PM, Vertygo said:

Looking forward to Alaska family cruise for my 70th in 2025. 7 of us, including a 15 & 17 year old. I prefer small ships, but don’t want my grandkids to get bored. I see that Lindblad has daytime activities for teens, but wonder if much for them in evenings. 
I’m also considering NCL Haven which would offer more at night.

We actually cruised both Lindblad on Nat Geo Venture in Alaska and NCL Haven on the Breakaway in the Caribbean in the past year.

While the Haven area was nice -- butler, concierge, lounge open all day, restaurant open for all meals including on port days for lunch, small pool, a hot tub, a covered deck, and a large sun deck -- my husband and I (60s) hated the cruise itself becuz: crowds and lines for everything. When conditions kept us from a port, we just ended up with another day at sea. My son (30) enjoyed the public hot tubs and lounges. The restaurants were so-so, even the specialty ones. There was plenty to do for the youngs, though. 

Lindblad was fabulous in every possible way. The staterooms are tight, but the public areas are spacious and never felt crowded. Food was fabulous, staff was fabulous. Example: the hotel manager saw my husband come out of our room with a bag of laundry one morning and took it from him! The hotel manager! Entertainment was limited to evening lectures (what we saw today, what we'll see tomorrow), but they were interesting. When conditions weren't ideal, they pivoted to a plan B. There were multiple teens on board who didn't seem to mind the fact there was limited programming specific to them, or at least if they were bored I never saw evidence of it; maybe they were just being polite. 😃 But the shore excursions and zodiac trips were enough for them, it seemed like. Some of those shore excursions would wear out even a teenager. WiFi was good, and you can buy an unlimited package that will serve one device at a time, which for many teens is probably enough to stave off complete boredom. And we went into areas where we never saw another cruise ship. One passage we did see one other: Lindblad's opposite number, headed in the other direction on the reverse itinerary. 

If it were me, and it was my 70th birthday gift to myself, I'd go Lindblad all the way and cross my fingers for great weather and lots of orcas. 

• Thanks 2