Full Tipping or Not

gonecruising

DO US ALL A FAVOR...and leave Mr. Flagger out of the discussion. This should not be a forum for personal attack. You will notice that Flagger has not responded here...so please...just leave it alone. I have disagreed with him on mumerous occasions but bringing his name up here is not the right thing to do.

THANKS,

ROSS

DO US ALL A FAVOR...and leave Mr. Flagger out of the discussion. This should not be a forum for personal attack. You will notice that Flagger has not responded here...so please...just leave it alone. I have disagreed with him on mumerous occasions but bringing his name up here is not the right thing to do.

THANKS,

ROSS

CGT:

It wasn't meant as a personal attack.

Regards

If it takes 3 days to reply to a thread I think mentioning a name after that period of time is the same as bringing it up in the first place. Let it rest and stop making a big deal of it. Besides, I don't think the OP who brought it up meant it as any sort of a put down but merely mentioned his views. We should all have to right to reply to ANY thread and I hope f does not feel he is not welcome here.

MrLee, I did not realize that you had as yet not had your first X experience. My apologies. After you experience X food I believe you will see the difference between EXCELLENT food and OK food. No harm meant.:)

Even if I never showed up in the dining room, would the tips be paid...of course they would be. IMHO you are tipping for the cruise, not where you eat. The specialty restaurants have a tip included in the fee and, like any service situation, if you wish to give more, that is your decision. The same goes for bartenders. The "stiff rate" on some lines is as high as 30%, maybe more. That is not surprising given the millions cruising each year. I think cruises embarking from U.S. and Canadian ports had 2 million passengers last year.

Tuggers, No problem. Actually if it's even edible that's all I care. Supposedly the Ryndam (HAL) has similar quality to Celebrity but I personally didn't see a huge difference with the Triumph (Carnival).

Just my opinion of course.

1. Yes, and usually more.

2. Have never done casual dining.

3. Always add additional tips.

1. Do you usually tip the main dining room waiter/busyboy the full amount at the end of the week even though you weren't there the entire time?

2. Do you tip the waiters at the casual dining area separately?

3. Do you add an additional tip to the specialy dining waiter/busboy over and above the $30 cover fee?

Ref: Full tipping or not?

Hi gonecruising and other shipmates who think alike about tipping.

It is awful when passengers refuse to tip and avoid doing it on the last night. It's so true that such people know the price of everything (such as tipping), but the true value of nothing (such as human kindness and a willingness to serve others with sincere concern and a smile.)

As a general rule, we always round our tips up. It makes it easier to put $80 in an envelope rather than $77. Of course, if we were really pleased with our service, we will increase our tip.

We have always made it a point to be in the dining room on the last night. The only time it nearly didn't happen was on the last night of our Millie cruise. DH got sick on something he had eaten earlier in the day, so he spent the last night in bed. We went into the dining room together, but he had to go back to our room. I could have left with him, but he felt that I should stay there. The waiter felt so bad that I was sitting by myself as we were at a table for two but he understood.

Anita

We are taking our first cruise on Celebrity in November. Do I understand correctly that on Celebrity, you tip the crew members on the last day? Our last cruise was on Princess and they add the suggested tip amounts on your cruise bill. If you were dissatisfied with a certain person, you could ask that a certain amount be deducted from you bill. This seems much fairer to the workers. On the last night, you could give the waiter/busboy or whoever an envelop with additional tip if you wanted. I thought this was done on all lines.

You have it right, it's done on Celebrity also. Just that on Celebirty it is not automatic to have it put on your shipboard account, you must request it. Not sure about all lines, as I am still working my way through them.

You may add your tips to your bill on X. They will send a form around for you to fill out and return to the guest relations desk to do this.

I prefer, and with my conversations with staff, they prefer, the cash. It takes a little while for them to get the money and is a tiny bit of a hassle for them. I feel they work really hard and if handing them an envelope with the cash in it makes their life easier then I can do that for them.

There is a Tip Calculator on these boards that you can do a search for. It will let you put in the line, number of nights, type of accommodation, and tell you what bills to bring to make your envelopes. Then you can bring that right with you and add any additional at the last minute if you wish.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

The nice thing, for me, in charging the tips is I get frequent flyer miles on my credit card. With 4 of us traveling usually the tips often add up to around $500 so it is a significant amount of cash. I tend to give extra tips in cash too. So far on all the cruises I've been on we've gotten vouchers for the charged amounts that I can stick in the envelopes with any extra cash I want to tack on.

Tom

Archived