Escape Live Review

ventigirl

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

ventigirl was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We’re on board right now and wanted to share a little feedback. If you have specific questions I’d be happy to try to answer them. 
This is our NCL cruise but we’ve done Royal Caribbean and Carnival. We are mid to late 50s looking mostly to relax and appreciate good food and service. 

I was really concerned after reading many many negative reviews about the food and service. We have found both to be very good. We have been eating breakfast and lunch in the buffet and have always found a good variety, plenty of fresh fruit and veggie options, etc. Tables are cleared and cleaned immediately. It is busy at meal times but we’ve gotten a window seat every time by walking all the way to the rear of the ship. 
we had dinner at Moderno and had excellent service. The salad bar isn’t really a salad bar….it’s mostly a variety of things including sushi, lettuce, rolls, etc. The meat they bring around was delicious and plentiful!  They also bring a handful of shared sides that include mushrooms, mashed potatoes, rice, etc. I don’t know if we would go again just due to personal preference but it was a great experience and the meat was incredible. 
We had dinner last night in Cagneys and it was incredible. I had a shrimp skewer and my husband had the prime rib. The appetizers and salads were also very good. Service was excellent and we almost received our food sooner than we were ready. We would definitely go back and felt like the food was worth the price compared to similar experiences on land. 
The main dining rooms have also been excellent. Service is attentive and food has been good and I can’t complain about the variety. 
We purchased vibe passes and they are well worth it to us!  We want quiet, relaxing and it delivers big!  It is quiet so if you want the more high energy pool vibe this wouldn’t be for you. I would say if it’s a warm destination bit getting vibe passes would be a deal breaker for us. The main pool area is absolutely packed although there are seats on the upper decks away from the pool. There are misters and hot tubs in those areas as well. Spice H20 is very crowded too. 
We have enjoyed our cabin and the room steward has taken good care of us. We put our light on for cleaning when we leave for the pool mid morning and it’s generally cleaned by mid afternoon. We asked for a coffee pot and he has kept that stocked. We did receive the complimentary laundry bag and last night there was a dessert sampler. We are in the club balcony and love the larger bathroom. 

We did not upgrade to the drink package and we’ve been more than pleased. I drink mostly wine and vodka and grey goose/Belvedere is included. I’m also a wine drinker and no issues with getting a nice glass whenever I want it. My husband hasn’t had any issues with beer brands or whiskeys. Tobacco Road has an old fashioned with Woodford Reserve that is part of the drink package. Any other bar would be an $8 up charge. We’re huge Starbucks coffee drinkers but have found coffee in the restaurants and buffet to be excellent. Water is readily available so bring a travel cup and fill it up. We haven’t touched the boxes water at all. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Thank you very much for posting!

Follow up question about the Woodford Reserve, so no upcharge at Tobacco Road but there is everywhere else?

Woodford Reserve is not listed on the Basic Beverage package but is on the Premium Plus package

My husband will be thrilled if he can have it at Tobacco Road!

Thank you

16 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

Thank you very much for posting!

Follow up question about the Woodford Reserve, so no upcharge at Tobacco Road but there is everywhere else?

Woodford Reserve is not listed on the Basic Beverage package but is on the Premium Plus package

My husband will be thrilled if he can have it at Tobacco Road!

Thank you

When I was on the pearl last year, the whiskey bar had a Woodford Old Fashioned (cocktail) that was included in the regular package, but if you wanted just straight Woodford (neat or rocks) it was above the $15 limit, and therefore had the upcharge.  It didn't make much sense to me, as the quantity of bourbon felt the same (but it could have been a significant amount more when ordering straight, who knows).  I enjoy an Old Fashioned, so I didn't mind.  But if your husband only wants it straight, perhaps you could try to sweet talk the bar tender into making you the Woodford Old Fashioned without the extra stuff. 😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...