Easiest ports and excursions in Alaska for mobility issues

losito

Hello,

I'm hoping some of you may be able to share your recommendations for which ports and specific shore excursions in Alaska were easiest for those with mobility issues to navigate.  My client wants to choose the ship and itinerary based on that criteria and, even after speaking to various cruise lines, I'm having a very difficult time with specifics.  I think they would do best on Holland, Princess or Celebrity, but am not sure about what ports and tours would work well.  Any input is much appreciated!

One important factor is what, if any, equipment does your client need, require, or use?

If I used a power wheelchair, had a companion that was strong traveling with me, and did not need a bunch of baggage, and could not transfer, I’d look to sail out of Vancouver because I could take the skytrain from the airport to the Pan-Pacific at the cruise port and not worry about accessible ground transport.

Skagway may/may not be functioning well this summer-some ships have changed itineraries, in part due to a rock fall that took out a pier (word is the pier should be fixed by cruise season). No pier means tenders, which are challenging to individuals with mobility issues. No Skagway means no train, which is highly accessible..

As @FOPMan says, what mobility equipment does your client use?    There is a big difference between a cane and a power chair.   

If they are looking to go on the ship-sponsored shore excursions, those excursions would be listed according to how difficult or strenuous the excursions are.  As an example, on the Princess website for Ketchikan excursions, they list "wheelchair accessible, easy activity" and ones that are just listed as "easy activity".  Do they need excursions that are wheelchair accessible?   

Maybe find out a little more information from your client about what they are looking for and their mobility status (ie, can they walk over gravel?   step up into a bus? wheelchair confined?) and post that information so people on this board can give better responses.   

I should have added that getting around Seattle with a power chair is a major pain. A collapsible scooter and the ability to sit in a normal car makes Seattle equally easy and you can focus on which ship and itinerary you like without giving much thought to ground transport.

A large, 4500 passenger ship has alot to do onboard. It is also big. A 2500 passenger ship is often something like 91 feet wide and 1000 feet long, limiting  how far one can walk. 

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.  Unfortunately, my client does not want to use a wheelchair, scooter, or a cane to get around, but can't comfortably walk more than 25 feet, per his wife.  I finally came to the conclusion that there were not really any ports or excursions that I could guarantee he'd be able to navigate without using some sort of assistance.  But, all of this is great to know for the future.  Thanks so much.

32 minutes ago, losito said:

Unfortunately, my client does not want to use a wheelchair, scooter, or a cane to get around, but can't comfortably walk more than 25 feet, per his wife. 

Ships are huge and many docks are very long.   And that's just getting off the ship onto land.   Not being able to comfortably walk more than 25 feet sounds like an issue that will definitely limit enjoyment of a cruise.   

• Like 1

I agree with the previous poster. Even doubled to 50 feet, that range would very much affect his enjoyment. many (most) cabins, accessible or otherwise are more than 25 feet from the elevators. Elevator lobbies do not generally have seating in them, especially on stateroom decks. 

There are very few ports (and none I can think of in Alaska) that have a vehicle pickuo within 25 feet if the base of the gsngway. Most buses used for excursions are 45ish passenger road buses with 4 or 5 pretty big steps to get into the bus. If the bus has a lift, the driver often requires the use of a wheelchair or scooter for its use (no standing while using the lift).

Getting down an airport concourse is decidedly more than 25 feet.

It sounds to me that there may need to be a reassessment of interest. Perhaps a rollator might be an acceptable alternative. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same mobility trouble as your clients and we are going to Alaska on the HAL Volendam in July, sailing out of Vancouver. Holland America has a unique ability to dock closer than bigger lines because of the size of their ships and how long they've been sailing to Alaska (70+yrs). In Skagway we're docking closer to the cruise terminal because of this and the same for our stops in Juneau and Ketchikan. HAL is also one of the lines to be able to tour in Glacier Bay (Volendam will have 9hrs there). They have accessible rooms in all of the room categories but they can go quickly. We booked in January and were lucky to get the last abulatory accessible ocean view room.  HAL and Princess have been sailing to Alaska the longest and often have special perks and permissions because of this so I would check both lines for the itinerary they want and then talk to the cruise line directly to find out about what accessible rooms and excursions they have available.

Edited by JeannyJ