Do the cruise lines deliver on what they advertise?

Barry ATL

A friend sent me this link to an article and I thought it was really interesting. Since the cruise lines are not really regulated, they can advertise just about anything they please whether true or not. Here is the link:

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/finance/060307-shns-cruise.html

I was going to copy some of the article, but the way they have the page coded, it is not easily copied.

A friend sent me this link to an article and I thought it was really interesting. Since the cruise lines are not really regulated, they can advertise just about anything they please whether true or not. Here is the link:

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/finance/060307-shns-cruise.html

I was going to copy some of the article, but the way they have the page coded, it is not easily copied.

I can't speak for all cruise lines by any means, but I can tell you that I've always received way more than my money's worth on any cruise I've been on. I think it is the most economical vacation around. That coupled with the elegance, lack of decisions to be made, and reasonably difficult access (hard to get ahold of you while on the sea) makes it perfect for me. You can spend some additional $$$ (excursions, drinks, etc.) and I usually do, but after we add it all up and compare it to what we've spent on other vacations it's always a great deal.

The cruise lines may have the capability of saying what they will, but they always have delivered on their promises to us...

Tom

After 18 cruises, the article doesn't impress me.

That Carnival claim harkens back to the Soverign class standard 124 sqft to the Fantasy class at 170 sqft. Things have certainly changed.

Tom, I have always gotten what I pay for... I was just surprised at how a cruise line can advertise something that is COMPLETELY false with no fine print and get away with it.

I can't argue with that, I guess I just don't care. Even our one Carnival cruise (not our favorite) was still great. I don't spend enough time in the room to worry that much about the size and I always get extra stuff. The article was interesting, but ... :o

Tom

Hello,

You raise an excellent point because we all want truth in advertising. I agree with Tom though because I really do not listen or read their advertisements, that is, the cruise lines can make all sorts of promises and it doesn't make any difference to me. My wife and I really enjoy going on cruises because cruises provide us with all that we need to experience travel at its best.

Fred

Goodness, guess ol Spud didn't have anything better to write about.

In the course of a day, clients ask about cabin sizes. And yes, Carnival's standard cabin size is larger than those of Princess, RCL and especially NCL.

Heck, even for that matter, larger than standard cabins on Celebrity ships.. at 170, 172 and 175.

The 170 for Carnival is an old number... 185 is pretty standard now.

NCL is still sailing the Majesty with all those knee nocker 109 sqft rooms.. and those are there standard cabins. Superiors are 140.

Smallest cabin I've ever had was 66 sqft.. but I didn't care. It was all mine. and no having to share with a sibling after 6 weeks of sharing a hotel room in Europe!

Barry, Interesting article. I'd have to say I'm somewhat skeptical of most advertising. Deceptive advertising is not reserved for the cruise industry.

That's why I scour these boards....Truth in Advertising....It's somewhere right here on the CC boards.:D

My thought exactly. Although I have never sailed Carnival, I get a real kick out of some folks and thier bashing of that line and in fact have never cruised on Carnival :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've sailed on Carnival and we had a great time, but it wasn't my favorite cruise ever. Given the choice between a CCL and an RCI or Princess same itinery or price I'd go on RCI or Princess, but I've been reading emails from CCL lately and they have some pretty sweet deals.

Still, it's awful fun to poke at them in these forums :)

Tom

I have to say that that may be the silliest excuse for an investigative article I have ever seen. The claims the author objected to are no different then the claims made in most major advertising, they are general in nature and probably not a violation of any ttruth in advertising laws. By the way, cruise lines are subject to US truth in advertising and contract laws. Although the ships are registered in foreign countries and they operate in international waters, they solicit business in all 50 states and have US assets. So if you think you have been deceived you can take them to court. Though why one would want to over a few square feet I can not imagine.

Regardless of the product, you must take all advertizing with a lot of skepticism. Look at photos of food for any national chain---have you ever gotten a burger from Burger King or McDonalds that looks anything like what they show you in their pictures? Look at brochures for many hotels or resorts. Many times the pics they show you don't even come close to the reality of the property.

Sure, I've had some disappoints from some of my 44 cruises, but I've never taken a cruise fully expecting it to look like what the brochures are selling. And it's just silly to expect it to be that way.

Do you really want truth in advertising? How many cruises would you book if photos of the pool area showed oversized men in speedos instead of chiseled models?

Woof!:D

You mean everyone at the pool won't be beautiful models in bikinis like on the love boat?..well thats it I'm not going!!! lol :rolleyes:

Interesting article that does have a point. I doubt many people believe the advertising claims some companies make, but they should bear some semblance of truth. Carnival, for example, could say their standard rooms were "larger than many other cruiselines" or "among the largest cabins in the industry"....without adding that 50% comparison which is ridiculous. Everyone wants to show their good side, but I have more respect for companies which use a little restraint.

Love the comment about the Speedos....I guess there is such a thing as too much truth!

Truth in advertising? Of course I know that the pictures in the brochures are posed by models, and do not show "real" people.

I am more concerned with TA, who do not advertise truthfully. For instance the one who has advertised in my local Sunday paper several weeks running.

Celebrity Century, 17 days , FREE AIR, FREE BUS from Miami , 2 nights at hotel in Barcelona, then cruise from Barcelona, some Med ports, then back to Miami for $1299!!!!!!! Those who have cruised before know that is an impossible "cheap deal".

Of course it is a bait and switch ad, call them and the answer is "sorry, the lower price cabins are all sold out" In fact there never were any vacancies at that price.

Not only is the price closer to $5000, but the deposit is twice the norm, and the agency charges a "cancellation fee of $300 " regardless of the reason, or how soon you cancel - which by the way you are NOT TOLD UP FRONT, it is in the small print on the BACK of the deposit invoice.

Archived