Passport timing

I know there are frequent questions about the processing time for passports, this is a slightly different question.  How long should it take for a new passport application that was mailed for the status to show up online?

My SO had a passport card and mailed in his application for a passport book three weeks ago.  We cannot find the status online.  I applied for a renewal of my passport book online about the same time and could see the “in process” status almost immediately.  Should we be worried about his application?  If it was incomplete/incorrect, would it be mailed back to him?  

24 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I know there are frequent questions about the processing time for passports, this is a slightly different question.  How long should it take for a new passport application that was mailed for the status to show up online?

My SO had a passport card and mailed in his application for a passport book three weeks ago.  We cannot find the status online.  I applied for a renewal of my passport book online about the same time and could see the “in process” status almost immediately.  Should we be worried about his application?  If it was incomplete/incorrect, would it be mailed back to him?  

Mailed 3 in December in the same envelope. One still doesn’t show up as in process.  Apparently this is normal and the system is nearly useless.    Typical government incompetence.  

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I don't know the answer to your question. But just curious if it was requested "expedited" service?

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Mailed 3 in December in the same envelope. One still doesn’t show up as in process.  Apparently this is normal and the system is nearly useless.    Typical government incompetence.  

Sorry yours is not perfect, but I do feel better knowing we aren’t the only ones - thanks!

1 minute ago, superduper123 said:

I don't know the answer to your question. But just curious if it was requested "expedited" service?

No, we just chose the largest gap in between our cruises in hopes of not having to cruise without passports (ten weeks).  On our last cruise in January,  he took his passport card with him (just in case), but used his birth certificate to check in, to make sure it was the “correct” version. No problems with the b/c.

14 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Sorry yours is not perfect, but I do feel better knowing we aren’t the only ones - thanks!

We have one back already.  It showed up  in the system as received a month after the first showed up as received and in process.  But yet we now have that one but not the others.  I signed up for email updates on all three.  Never had one update. The third application doesn’t even show up as received and it’s been 8 + weeks.  

All sent in the same envelope from our local court office who process passports.   Our system for passports is a joke.   Why even waste the money on a system that doesn’t even get used.  And if you call the number they can’t even tell you anything other than you’ll need to go to passport office two weeks before your trip if you don’t receive them. So a whole staff of workers who are incapable of helping anyone.  All they can do is apologizing for being unable to tell you anything.  Both workers told me you can often get it back before it ever shows up as received in the online system. Typical of our government.  Like I said.  What a joke and what a waste of federal money.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, topnole said:

We have one back already.  It showed up  in the system as received a month after the first showed up as received and in process.  But yet we now have that one but not the others.  I signed up for email updates on all three.  Never had one update. The third application doesn’t even show up as received and it’s been 8 + weeks.  

All sent in the same envelope from our local court office who process passports.   Our system for passports is a joke.   Why even waste the money on a system that doesn’t even get used.  And if you call the number they can’t even tell you anything other than you’ll need to go to passport office two weeks before your trip if you don’t receive them. So a whole staff of workers who are incapable of helping anyone.  All they can do is apologizing for being unable to tell you anything.  Typical of our government.  Like I said.  What a joke and what a waste of federal money.  

Sadly, I totally agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

No, we just chose the largest gap in between our cruises in hopes of not having to cruise without passports (ten weeks).  On our last cruise in January,  he took his passport card with him (just in case), but used his birth certificate to check in, to make sure it was the “correct” version. No problems with the b/c.

I am in a similar situation, however only 6 weeks in between travels. Just applied this past Monday for expedited. Crossing my fingers I get it back before the end of March.

BTW, we are neighbors. (Palmetto)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

I am in a similar situation, however only 6 weeks in between travels. Just applied this past Monday for expedited. Crossing my fingers I get it back before the end of March.

BTW, we are neighbors. (Palmetto)

Was yours mailed or online?  I noticed they closed the online application option for most of February, after I used it to apply on January 19.  I will come back with my “received” date once it happens, since I used the new online method.  

We are just three miles from the Cortez bridge, but go to Palmetto to Wal Mart and Detwiler’s because we enjoy the drive through the downtown area.  Also the Covid testing center at the Convention Center, back in the good old days of required testing 😂

7 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Was yours mailed or online?  I noticed they closed the online application option for most of February, after I used it to apply on January 19.  I will come back with my “received” date once it happens, since I used the new online method.  

We are just three miles from the Cortez bridge, but go to Palmetto to Wal Mart and Detwiler’s because we enjoy the drive through the downtown area.  Also the Covid testing center at the Convention Center, back in the good old days of required testing 😂

It was mailed; online option was not available. 

Small world.  🙂