G303 v G304- a tale of two halves

scarlet ohara

We arrived home yesterday after our first ever B2B cruise. We had a great time on G303. We hadn’t prebooked anything and used our massive amount of OBC to eat in all the speciality restaurants- Epicurean 3 times- bought the basic internet package which worked well and we generally had a great time. Embarkation was very smooth, we arrived at 1pm and never even got a chance to sit in the terminal, it was straight to checkin.

We saw all the Headliners shows even though some were initially showing fully booked, but turned up just at the start and hit seats no problem- at the 8.30 shows. There were always seats free even when showing as fully booked. 

We like doing quizzes and there were several each day. The weather was good and many people were on sun beds on deck 8, and presumably on the higher decks too.

We had a cabin with the extended corner balcony. The “normal” bit of the balcony had plenty space so we didn’t really need the extended area, and indeed felt awkward that if we turned from the balcony edge, we saw straight into the neighbouring cabin. The bed was near the balcony which made access to the wardrobe easier. We thought there was plenty space for our clothes- we use packing cases anyway so the lack of drawers wasn’t a problem. However the long balcony meant that there was no view lying on the bed, only of the long wall of the next balcony. So I wouldn’t book one of these cabins again, but would go for one in the middle of the row. I would avoid the adjacent couple of balconies 

Then came G304. There had been an increase in norovirus cases which we were unaware of- but we received a letter asking that we get off in Southampton at least between 10 and 12noon- and we were given additional OBC of £30 each, to “buy lunch”. But we were also invited to the Peninsular Lunch as we were B2B so only bought a coffee!! 

This time I had prebooked Lee Mead in Limelight who was fantastic. It only became available 2 weeks before boarding. Unlike previously the seating is now in the order you arrive, not by date of booking. There are about 8 tables for 2 in the front row, with mainly fours in the row behind.

i had also tried to book Epicurean for Valentines Day but it was fully booked when I woke up on the morning booking opened. However we visited the restaurant the first night onboard G303 and explained and were able to get booked. There was a special menu including 3 glasses of wine for the same £30 charge with “upgraded” wines available for £7 or £8 per person (not glass)

G304 was so different from G303. It was so busy everywhere- tables in the bars were left uncleared for ages, waiters were overwhelmed, especially on the sea days. The weather didn’t help, it was rather dreich for the first couple of days so no one was outside on sun beds. Not helped by the app not working for the formal sea day that was Valentine’s Day- so not sure what happened with meal bookings. 
Our internet package didn’t work this time and after 2 days they refunded it- before the app collapsed. I think it may just be too many trying to use it.

There were hardly any quizzes on the sea days and in the evenings. There were 2 so called comedians on who were not remotely funny. Gareth Oliver was hilarious though

Having said all that, we made the most of it but wouldn’t book a one week cruise again. We had managed to book restaurants early on changeover day and again had loads of OBC. One comment is that it isn’t really Freedom, as you can’t really just decide in the evening where you want to eat.

Embarkation was a breeze. We did self disembark and had asked for 7am as we have a long drive, but we’re allocated 7.40. We had finished breakfast by 7 so thought we would head down to deck 6. Couldn’t get in a lift so hubby carried the cases down. No queue on deck six and we were off. 

Interestingly, no customs officers this time whereas loads of people having their cases searched last week ( which we had never seen on a cruise before)

Sorry for the ramble- we enjoyed Iona a a ship but would be wary about booking at peak times

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad that over the two cruises you enjoyed it.

It's interesting what you write about Epicurean on Valentine's Day, with the slightly extended meal for no extra. Several years ago we were on Britannia and the Valentine's Day meal in Epicurean was quite a lot dearer than normal, a taster menu of sorts with matching wines. I would much prefer the one you had.

You also make a valid point about getting a reservation sorted; folk stress about not being able to book remotely, and sometimes all it takes is a walk to the restaurant and having a word with the restaurant host, as you did.

Here’s my take on G304.

* Embarkation was smooth and speedy.

* Cabin 11237. Nice decor. Great bathroom with a proper shower cubicle. Whopper of a sofa! Comfortable bed. Very narrow cabin, we missed having a proper bedside cabinet with drawers. Tight squeeze between the wardrobes and bed - really tight. 
* We loved having so many dining options. Fish and chips/fried chicken and fries in The Quays were delicious and some salad bowls also available. Never queued more than 3 minutes and plenty of seating there. Hot and tasty. 
* I had pre-booked the Olive Grove for 1 lunch and 2 dinners. We decided not to stay for one dinner as we were told at reception that they were having problems due to the app being down. Plenty of choice and everything tasted really good. 
* Horizon - went for our hot chocolate and couldn’t believe the long queues at 10.45pm! I have never seen the buffet so packed late at night before. On our long Ventura cruise, the same two dozen people were there every night having some cheese and crackers. This time, trays were piled with food! I suppose younger folk have more of an appetite. 
* Limelight Club Valentine’s day - Lee Mead was brilliant. The meal was also very nice. So glad I had pre-booked as I thought the MDRs might be busy on this formal evening.

* Epicurean. Very slow service and to be honest, we weren’t that impressed with the whole experience. Glad to have tried it once, after reading so much about it here, but wouldn’t be in a rush to go again! Service was sooooo slow that we missed the 10.30 show in the theatre. I tried ti cancel at about 10pm but the app was down. 
* Coral Restaurant - our only visit to a MDR was breakfast on last morning. Very civilised and pleasant but very slow service again. 

* Ripples - lovely ice cream. Enjoyed a Knickerbocker Glory!

* Coffee bar in atrium - we had two very dry and tasteless cakes there, so wouldn’t bother again, 
* Entertainment - Gareth Oliver in the Club House was brilliant. We walked out of the Kalon Rae show in the theatre after 10 mins - very poor singer. Watched 2 new (to us) Headliner Shows. Festival was so-so but Centre Stage was very good. Max the Busker was very good in the atrium. We were hoping to watch Mrs Harris on the sea day but the studio was already full half an hour before the start. 
* Sky Dome - the acrobatic shows and dancers were quite good and entertaining. It’s a good venue for that type of show. The trio of female singers not so good due to the poor acoustics there, and not really my type of band!  It’s good to see this venue being used in the evenings and there was a good atmosphere there. 
* With a full ship and lots of children, we still found it easy to find somewhere to sit. The children all seemed to be having a good time and made for a good atmosphere, 

* We enjoyed watching the silent disco in the atrium on two evenings. Good fun trying to identify the songs. Come on Eileen was a good one, and it was fantastic to see teenagers doing the Hokey Cokey!

* Plenty of lifts and all/most working. 
* Didn’t use the public toilets more than twice as we had been given a letter on embarkation about Noro on the previous cruise. They now have automatic doors and were very spacious and clean. In fact, the whole ship was sleek and airy. We loved the massive windows. 
* We initially had £100 OBC and were given another £100 a few months ago. The final bill was £225. We had paid for the speciality dining before boarding and also one excursion. 
* For such a huge ship, the port shuttles in Hamburg and Zeebrugge worked well for us, or we were possibly lucky! 

* Didn’t visit the shops onboard. They never have anything that I find interesting! 

Not so good …..

* £2.50 delivery for breakfast without hot drinks! 
* Could have done with fresh towels after showering in the evening. 

*  Slow service in Epicurean and Olive Grove. 

* Nowhere near enough staff in the coffee bar which meant that the atrium looked a mess. Tables just weren’t cleared. 
* Not enough staff taking drinks orders in The Quays. We also waited a long time in the Crow’s Nest late at night and gave up completely one morning there! 
* Narrow cabin, no drawers and husband complaining about the lack of shaver points in the bathroom. Air-con was also very noisy. 
* App was down 13/14 Feb. 
* I now know for certain that I will NEVE EVER select a deck 8 conservatory mini-suite! I’m not tall but I could see inside the cabins. And they don’t even have a proper sea view!

We would love to sail on Iona again, but not to the Fjords.  We have 3 cruises booked - on Britannia, Arcadia (new to us) and Aurora. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was onboard for both cruises too. They were both amazing but the 900 children did make a difference to the second cruise 😆 I fully agree that it was difficult to get served on the second cruise but the crew were under enormous pressure with the extra passengers. I was told she was sailing at 5400 (with the kids in the 4 bed cabins). It was a little uncomfortable at times - getting a drink in the Emerald bar was difficult. I had never seen a queue at Costa Coffee either like I saw in the third week. 

I knew it was a half term cruise when I booked so I was cool with it. I was just glad I had my favorite barman in Brodies and he was my go to for drinks!!

• Like 5

If they do manage to fill Iona to capacity during the summer school holidays, it’s going to be challenging to provide a reasonably good service. Bear in mind that the outdoor decks will be in use then too, hence more clearing up with glasses and plates left here, there and everywhere. If they’ve already got their full complement of staff, then it is rather worrying! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ardennais said:

If they do manage to fill Iona to capacity during the summer school holidays, it’s going to be challenging to provide a reasonably good service. Bear in mind that the outdoor decks will be in use then too, hence more clearing up with glasses and plates left here, there and everywhere. If they’ve already got their full complement of staff, then it is rather worrying! 

We are booked on the Arvia cruise K316 6th August 2023 and bearing in mind your comments I tried a dummy booking to check availability. On P&O's website the front page suggests availability but when I tried to make a booking including our son it returned "sold out" for all cabin grades which suggests that all the child places have been taken. It was still possible to make a booking without him but no doubt there will be a knockdown sale of any remaining cabins closer to departure and I'm expecting a very full ship.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3