Florence

Percymom

Slightly off topic, but FYI you can get very reasonably priced trains from Livorno Centrale station right to the heart of Florence, Firenze Santa Maria Novella station.

€41.60 for two tickets return. Versus a lot more for the excursion. But I get that many people want the excursion through the cruise line to guarantee they'll be back in time. The value of that is ephemeral but significant.

It's about a 40 minute walk from the cruise dock to the Livorno Centrale train station. Or I'm sure a brief cab ride is available.

If you're not docking in Livorno then this is not relevant of course.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

--Julian

Edited by NeedToChill
  • Like 1

It was a long drive in but at the time we didn't want the worry of public transport  - plus it included a visit to Pisa.

Sorry - I can’t remember exactly where the bus dropped us but I know it was easy walking distance to the tourist centre. They did give us a map and we easily found our way back to the pick-up spot.

We are visiting Florence on the Vista in October 2024.  I was wondering, since it is a distance from the port, if Oceania would allow us to stay overnight in Florence and take a train to Rome (Civitavecchia), to board the ship the next day.  We have been to Rome a few times, so no need to go again.  This would allow us more time to visit the area.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

We are visiting Florence on the Vista in October 2024.  I was wondering, since it is a distance from the port, if Oceania would allow us to stay overnight in Florence and take a train to Rome (Civitavecchia), to board the ship the next day.  We have been to Rome a few times, so no need to go again.  This would allow us more time to visit the area.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

Contact  Oceania  & ask if that would be allowed ..get the answer in writing

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

We’ve been in Italy many times on the land trips and used the trains often. Please keep in mind that their train system isn’t 100% reliable. Delays and even cancellations due to strikes happen some times. Read the news and give yourself plenty of time to return to the ship.

• Thanks 2