Dietary restriction advice for someone with gout on NCL?

jm-horn

Hello!

I’m not sure this is the correct forum but I felt that this would be a good place to start. I’ve tried to do some research on my own but haven’t found a lot of information.

My husband has gout, and our main concern while we are out of the country is that he will have a flare up. He already has his go bag ready to go but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this condition while cruising? He has to avoid seafood, pork, cauliflower, asparagus, a couple of other things as well. This would be easy if he could just not eat these things, but depending on how the meals are prepared the cross contamination of purines could cause a flare up. 

In addition to the dietary restrictions he also does not drink alcohol and can’t have any carbonation due to a previous surgery. This is less important but does anybody have any mock tail suggestions to order? We will be on the NCL Breakaway. Thankfully he drinks a ton of water but no soda or lemonade, and I’d like to surprise him with a special sail away drink. Worst case I’ll just hunt down a virgin pina colada.

Thanks in advance everyone!

- Jordyn

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Every cruise line has a department for special needs, and a lot of them are dietary.  I’m sure if you search the NCL website, particularly the area in small print at the bottom of the home page, you will find contact info for them.  In addition, when inputting your check in info they ask about special needs.  If you detail what you need, they may contact you.  I know I just made my special needs request for a HC cabin on Carnival, and not only did they email me the special needs form, but followed up with a call.  You might also ask on the board here for NCL.  EM

Here is a thread on dietary restrictions you might like.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2842528-dietary-restrictions/

These posters are saying to advise NCL when you make your reservation.  

And written last year, here are two lists of favorite nonalcohol drinks on NCL:

https://www.loadtheluggage.com/best-royal-caribbean-mocktails/

https://travelmamas.com/royal-caribbean-mocktails-drinks/

2 hours ago, jm-horn said:

Hello!

I’m not sure this is the correct forum but I felt that this would be a good place to start. I’ve tried to do some research on my own but haven’t found a lot of information.

My husband has gout, and our main concern while we are out of the country is that he will have a flare up. He already has his go bag ready to go but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this condition while cruising? He has to avoid seafood, pork, cauliflower, asparagus, a couple of other things as well. This would be easy if he could just not eat these things, but depending on how the meals are prepared the cross contamination of purines could cause a flare up. 

In addition to the dietary restrictions he also does not drink alcohol and can’t have any carbonation due to a previous surgery. This is less important but does anybody have any mock tail suggestions to order? We will be on the NCL Breakaway. Thankfully he drinks a ton of water but no soda or lemonade, and I’d like to surprise him with a special sail away drink. Worst case I’ll just hunt down a virgin pina colada.

Thanks in advance everyone!

- Jordyn

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

NCL is excellent about special dietary restrictions, but be sure to notify them well in advance:

accessdesk@ncl.com

Just send a brief email including your reservation number, ship, and date of sailing.

Mention what you just wrote above.

They will probably send you a somewhat lengthy form asking about all sorts of things.  Just ignore the ones that don't apply to you.  Keep in mind this same form is used for those with, say, mobility problems or needing special medical supplies/equipment.

Given how large NCL is, I'm assuming that the senior kitchen staff are familiar with this particular dietary situation.  However, as long as you explain precisely what you can *NOT* have, they will take care of it.  You may have a contact person and need to plan the next day's meals in advance if they truly need special preparation (which is quite different than, say, just omitting something like asparagus).

And let them know if cross-contamination is a problem.  They can handle that, too, but it does take extra care, so make sure they know.

We each have a food allergy, and DH's is celiac disease, diagnosed quite late in life.

So what we do, and we recommend to everyone (at all restaurants) is when you are seated, remind them of your special diet.  When they take your order, remind them again.  When they present the plates, yet again.  They DO try to be very careful, but IF there is a mistake, you are the ones who will be most impacted, so we think that is just prudent.

They take "special needs" very seriously.

And enjoy your cruise!

(Is this your first cruise or just your first NCL cruise?  There are other CC sections for first time cruisers, and lots of other special sections.)

Here is a link to the main NCL section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

GC