Talkeetna

DeborahQ

We will be spending a night at a B and B in Talkeetna in July.We have a 430 p.m. Alaska airline flight to Seattle. How much time would you give yourself to make the drive on a Monday in July ? With having to still drop off the rental car at the airport in Anchorage and check in with time to spare. Thanks in Advance, Deb

I would leave around noon, will give you time for a few stops. You need a 2 hour window at Anchorage airport, and a Monday will be a cruise day with plenty of people flying. It's a 2 hour drive Talkeetna to Anchorage, with the airport on the south side of the city.

Since I don't want any uphappy Q's, I would try to be at car rental place by at least 2pm. I have always had an easy checkin there and just a few minutes wait for shuttle, but you never know. It's a long walk to Seattle!!!!

And please factor a little extra time in case there is construction activity, we do use a lot of pilot cars in this State and you only get to go through behind the pilot car and then heaven forbid if there is an accident as there are no side roads to get off on and do detours around things.

Susan in Anchorage :)

what is a pilot car?
We used to see those in Arizona. Usually on 2 lane highways is where you would see them.

During construction a pilot car ( the car that leads you through the construction zone) heads one way with you following.. when the pilot car gets to the end of the zone, it turns around and takes the traffic the other way.

Jimcat is right. That's all they do is lead cars through. Go one way and then turn around and come the other way.

We move a lot of dirt, rock, etc. and with the size of the dump trucks and some of the earth moving equipment they don't want cars moving through on their own, this way the construction site controls the traffic.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived