Carnival Newbie

josephmz

Just booked first cruise on Carnival. Baltimore 7ths to Bermuda. A few questions with I’m sure more to follow. Have always sailed NCL & RCI.

Does Carnival do Meet & Greet meetings? Have hosted several on NCL.

Is the steakhouse worth the extra money? Appears they include bottle of wine. Alternatively, I see you can order steak in MDR for $20.00. How does that compare.

Do they allow you to bring your own wine onboard?

I know Pride is an older, smaller ship. Ihave always enjoyed smaller. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, josephmz said:

Just booked first cruise on Carnival. Baltimore 7ths to Bermuda. A few questions with I’m sure more to follow. Have always sailed NCL & RCI.

Does Carnival do Meet & Greet meetings? Have hosted several on NCL.

Is the steakhouse worth the extra money? Appears they include bottle of wine. Alternatively, I see you can order steak in MDR for $20.00. How does that compare.

Do they allow you to bring your own wine onboard?

I know Pride is an older, smaller ship. Ihave always enjoyed smaller. Any thoughts?

You can host a meet and greet. Although I don’t know if carnival actually gets involved anymore. But yes, people plan them through the roll calls.

yes I do think the steak house is worth it, and yes there’s a free bottle of wine the first night. 

yes you can bring a bottle of wine per adult.

I’ve never been on the pride so I cannot comment. 

1 hour ago, josephmz said:

Just booked first cruise on Carnival. Baltimore 7ths to Bermuda.

The Pride -  we have cruised the Pride several times, lovely ship, doing 25 nights on her in October, trust you enjoy the Pride as we do!

• Like 1

1. Is the steakhouse worth the extra money? Appears they include bottle of wine. We love the steakhouse and feel that it is well worth the extra charge.  They do provide a free bottle of house red or white wine or 50% off wines from the wine list, but only on the first night.
  2. Alternatively, I see you can order steak in MDR for $20.00. How does that compare.  We've never tried it, but it is the same steak as you would get in the steakhouse without the ambiance, sides, extra attention, etc.
  3. Do they allow you to bring your own wine onboard?  You can bring (carry on only) one 750ml bottle of wine per adult.  If you choose to bring the entire bottle into the MDR or other venue, you will (probably) be charged a $20 corkage fee.  You can avoid this by pouring out glasses of wine in your room and then carrying the glasses with you to the MDR.

I've been on Pride 7X, so yes, I like it!  I like the small ships on any line.

Steakhouse is nice atmosphere and great service (usually) and I go there at least once per cruise.

I've never ordered the Steakhouse entree in the MDR so don't know if it's different, other than the price.

Enjoy!

Only input I have - we did the steakhouse for the first time on our 2/5/2023 cruise on the Glory, and thought it was 100% worth it.  Food was great, we'll probably do the steakhouse on all future cruises.  My only compliant is the overall meal was about 2 hours, which seems to be the norm for service meals these days, but that's more time than I'd like to spend seated at a table.

When it comes to the steak house, it is actually very good. 

The cuts are good quality and prep is very good.

IMO, the service in the specialties has dropped, but I thought this before Covid. It used to be a much more formal service, complete with white cloth and crumb brushes/scrapers for the table.

They're all very nice and the service provided today most likely exceeds your regular local place. For the dollar, it is worth it IMO