2 People in a 3 Person Cabin

groundloop

I'm looking at booking another cruise for myself and my wife, but in doing a faux booking online I can only get my preferred cabin if I book it for 3 people. 

Is there any chance I can talk to Carnival and get us booked in that cabin?  Or what if I booked it for 3 and the 3rd person was a no-show?

Just now, Mic101680 said:

Yes, call and ask for that specific room. Worst case is they make you book it for 3, in which case have a "TBA" for the third instead of a name and call back at a later time to have that third 'person' removed.

I'm pretty sure they'd charge a 'change fee' if I called and had that person removed from the reservation.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'm pretty sure they'd charge a 'change fee' if I called and had that person removed from the reservation.  

Depending on what rate code you use to book and what the terms are, possibly, but I doubt it. Either way, you're likely going to have to call Carnival (or a TA) if you really want that specific cabin. 

• Like 1

Plus you'd have to pay three deposits.   DH and I are in a 3 pax cabin on Magic, cruising this Saturday.  I booked it myself about 18 months ago.  I thought for sure they would bump me at some point, and move me to a cabin for two.  The ship is fully booked... I just lucked out.   Do you have a PVP you can call?  They can usually help with stuff like that.

1 minute ago, cacruisin said:

What make a room for 3?  Is there 3 actual beds or just the couch/bed for the 3rd person and isn't that in all rooms?  I'm confused....

Most typically it is the couch that converts to a bed.  Pretty standard set-up.

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Most typically it is the couch that converts to a bed.  Pretty standard set-up.

Thank you for your reply but I am still confused....aren't all balcony rooms set up like that?  I always book a balcony room for 2 and have never heard of this...have I always been paying for a third person and somehow didn't realize?

• Haha 1

The rooms are all the same except for the ones with upper berths which usually accommodate 4. The difference between a balcony cabin for 2 or 3 is a capacity issue, the rooms are the same with a couch that converts to a single bed. What I have experienced three times this past year is they release the unbooked cabins designated for 3 or 4 people to a 2 person booking about 3 to 2 months in advance of the sail date if they are still available. I went ahead and booked a 2 person cabin I was ok with initially and moved to more a desirable cabin a few months ahead when it showed online I could now book it. This seems to work well if you desire a lido or above balcony and the bulk of those are held back for families. If it is a time when not many children are on board it is likely they will not be booked and released to couples. 

I had trouble the first time I tried this through the 800#, even though I could make a new booking online the agent said she couldn’t move me there because it was a 3 person cabin. I now have a PVP, he moves me without issue. I did this on the Vista last April, Panorama in October and was able to recently snag a premium balcony for our September Alaska Journeys cruise. 

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cacruisin said:

Thank you for your reply but I am still confused....aren't all balcony rooms set up like that?  I always book a balcony room for 2 and have never heard of this...have I always been paying for a third person and somehow didn't realize?

No. First off not all sofas are necessarily convertible.  But WAY more importantly, many cabins are legally limited to 2 people.  It's all about lifeboat seats and capacity.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cacruisin said:

You would have noticed the third person listed on your booking details.  Many balconies could sleep 3 but are maxed at two based on ship, lifeboat and muster station capacity. 

• Like 1