Japan cruises

2Nkotb

Suggest you look at repositioning cruises from Japan to or from Vancouver or Seattle on either Holland America or Princess.  Then add a week or two around Japan to make it a B2B.  We are doing it on the Westerdam this Spring and it will be our sixth repositioning cruise from or to Asia.

Ray

On 2/24/2023 at 12:57 AM, USN59-79 said:

Suggest you look at repositioning cruises from Japan to or from Vancouver or Seattle on either Holland America or Princess.  Then add a week or two around Japan to make it a B2B.  We are doing it on the Westerdam this Spring and it will be our sixth repositioning cruise from or to Asia.

Ray

Would you do the week or two around Japan with a guided tour or totally independent?   I expect the DIY approach would be much easier if you have previously lived in Asia, which we have not.

We will do 42 days on the Westerdam from Yokohama to Seattle totally independent.  The idea is to do your homework before you get there so you know what is in and near the port.  Most ports will have information in the form of maps and guides for tourists.  Learn or have some one show you how to use public transportation.  We sometimes share a taxi with our tablemates.  Use the internet before you leave home to learn what to see and how to get there.

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Ray, I am interested in your suggestions for Asia and in particular repositioning cruises. Have you ever encountered particularly rough seas on the Pacific crossing? That is the one thing that might hold me back.

On 2/26/2023 at 7:46 AM, kaymoz said:

Would you do the week or two around Japan with a guided tour or totally independent?   I expect the DIY approach would be much easier if you have previously lived in Asia, which we have not.

I will jump in and mention that we are just finishing up 11 independent days in Japan where we have spent our time in Tokyo and Kyoto (using the excellent trains).  We have a blog going on the HAL board where we talk about the fun of doing things on one's own.  Like most DIY travel, much of the secret is in doing some pre-trip homework, having a spirit of adventure, and exercising some basic travel common sense.  And I like to tell folks that it does not take a PhD to ask folks for help 🙂

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 1:44 AM, Hlitner said:

I will jump in and mention that we are just finishing up 11 independent days in Japan where we have spent our time in Tokyo and Kyoto (using the excellent trains).  We have a blog going on the HAL board where we talk about the fun of doing things on one's own.  Like most DIY travel, much of the secret is in doing some pre-trip homework, having a spirit of adventure, and exercising some basic travel common sense.  And I like to tell folks that it does not take a PhD to ask folks for help 🙂

Hank

Hi Hank,

We will be going on a cruise from Sydney to Japan finishing in Yokohama, notice you have travelled to Japan before,  we have booked the Quintessa Hotel Comic which is 14.8 kms from central Tokyo, do you have any recommendations on accommodation as you have been there before, we are looking at staying 3 nights before flying back to Australia. (we have done a lot of travelling and I have booked independent tours and accommodation, however, Japan I am having a bit of a challenge navigating it all).

If you are already committed to

that hotel than you must deal with being out by Haneda.  It means you will spend more time using public transit.  If you are not committed you might want to rethink and change to a hotel closer to desired parts of Tokyo.  With a 3 night stay it would my preference to choose a decent more centrally located Tokyo neighborhood.  I tend to look for

locations convenient for Dinner places, some nighttime activity, and also convenient to a Metro station or major train station.   But I am sure many would disagree with me on this issue.

Hank 

If you are ok with very small and basic rooms, take a look at APA Hotels and Toyoko Inns.  They're both chains and have multiple locations in various cities in Japan.  APA Hotels are a bit nicer.  Toyoko Inns seem to host a lot of tour groups and comes inclusive of a basic breakfast.  

We've stayed at both multiple times in various cities and they generally hit the right notes for us for simple and inexpensive accommodations with A/C and Internet.