I just bought gear

mulder

I just bought snorkel gear to take with me to Riviera Maya. I have been reading up on snorkeling in this region as well for the last hour. I read about barracudas. Does anyone have experience with agressive fish. What are the chances that this will be an issue? I hear it is rare, but it can happen. :eek: Also, I have been reading from many people that have gone that say, don't buy your own gear because most resort hotels and most places like Xel-Ha provide it to you. Is this true? Why did I spend my money if I could get it free? Any experiences with local snorkeling gear from the hotel or resort or parks?:confused:

We only used rented snorkeling gear once on our first Caribbean trip in 1989 or so. Since then we've had our own gear. I like having a mask that fits nice. Also, do you really want to put the snorkel that's been in a zillion mouths before you into your mouth? No thanks!

So relax and have fun with your gear.

We have decided that on certain snorkeling excursions we're no longer going to cart around our fins. But we'll always take our mask & snorkel.

I just bought snorkel gear to take with me to Riviera Maya. I have been reading up on snorkeling in this region as well for the last hour. I read about barracudas. Does anyone have experience with agressive fish. What are the chances that this will be an issue? I hear it is rare, but it can happen. :eek: Also, I have been reading from many people that have gone that say, don't buy your own gear because most resort hotels and most places like Xel-Ha provide it to you. Is this true? Why did I spend my money if I could get it free? Any experiences with local snorkeling gear from the hotel or resort or parks?:confused:

Hi,

I've swam with schools of barracudas before. There's a few things divers know about barracudas, first they're territorial, which means, you feel like they're getting too close, go the other way. Secondly, never approach a barracuda from the side, they consider this aggressive. If you want to get in close for a picture, just swim at them in a large arc with the top being beside the barracuda. Next, barracuda have been known to follow divers and snorkelers around. This is just a curiosity/protecting their territory thing. Don't let it spook you, look on the bright side, they're keeping the sharks off your back :). Also if a barracuda comes directly at you, it's probably because they see their reflection in your mask. Either put your hand over the mask breaking the reflection or just look away. Finally, while rare, dangling bracelets that look like fishing lures probably isn't aren't good ideal either. To be honest, you're more likely to be struck by lightning in the water than be attacked by a barracuda. Also, don't know if it helps but they're one of the fastest fish in the water. If they DID decide to attack, you wouldn't know it until afterwards anyway.:p

Don't sweat it!

Randall

Ok, but what is the chances of seeing one in a place like Riviera Maya or Xel-Ha for that matter?

With reefs come predators. However, think about it, if you were a barracuda would you want to eat a 12" fish which you know what it taste like or a 5-6' person who's kinda scary with that one big glass eye, a tube out of it's mouth and a "I'm with stupid" shirt on? They'll be there, but nothing to worry about (my wife just pushes me between her and the baracudas to be sure).

Randall

• 4 months later...

Sure now you tell me about the shiney objects. LOL!!! I had a little scare in Cozumel once. Snorkeling along and I thought I heard my wife call me. After I looked for her I put my face back in the water and there it was a huge one !! I lifted my hand out of the water so my watch was not reflecting anymore and he just looked at me for a few seconds and just swam away. It was rather close and seeing those big teeth close up is kinda scrary, but your right, no problems.

Where are you staying in Riviera Maya. I was just there in May and its pretty nice. We stayed at Xcarat Grand. You can take a ferry to Cozumel for the day too. That took about 1/2 hr by ferry and was 11 bux I think. You can get the ferry at Paya del Carmen.

There are some great barracuda stories on the thread I posted below, and I'll add another one.

We went diving on the west coast of Florida (off Venice), and the captain took us to the wreck of a shrimp trawler that had been down just a few weeks. When we approached to anchor up, the wreck appeared to have a tornado of small barracuda (2-4 ft) from the surface down to the bottom - about 40 feet or so.

Two of the divers were from Utah, and were more than a little freaked out. They had never even seen salt water before, and were apprehensive even before the fish. We told them not to worry, and to follow us.

We geared up, hopped off, and swam down into the middle of the cudas - they continued to swirl around us, and were close enough to touch. I've been in schools of fish before and since, but this was definitely my favorite.

Barracuda are graceful and beautiful creatures - please don't be afraid of them.

Wendy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=66484

This album starts off with some nice cudas we saw diving in Belize.

http://community.webshots.com/album/457469973XeEgoN

Don't worry about the fish, they won't bother you. And please, please, please do not go to Xel-Ha. It sucks. Crowded, overpriced, lousy snorkelling in what is essentially a big, murky pool.

• 1 month later...

You did the smart thing in buying your own equipment. We rented our first time and vowed to find something better. The free stuff is not top quality and it's not a dry snorkel. I will never snorkel again without a dry snorkel...

I was at Xel-Ha on my honeymoon. It is kind-a crowded but a good time nontheless.

I was snorkling up and done the little river where everyone tubes. There was a group of about 4-5 teens rafted together, and right underneath them enjoying the shade was a 3-4' baracuda. I bet those girls would have freaked if they would have known.

Archived