Denali Road Closure - What You Will See and What You Will Not See

donaldsc

No cell phone reception past Park Headquarters at about Mile 4.  The road is very well traveled as many locals take the opportunity to drive to Tek and hike or bike from there.  It is also two lanes and is graded frequently.  I’ve never had a problem with my 2WD subcompact Toyota and I’ve even driven it to the end of the road at Kantishna a few times.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

No cell phone reception past Park Headquarters at about Mile 4.  The road is very well traveled as many locals take the opportunity to drive to Tek and hike or bike from there.  It is also two lanes and is graded frequently.  I’ve never had a problem with my 2WD subcompact Toyota and I’ve even driven it to the end of the road at Kantishna a few times.

10 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Thanks, good to know it is  traveled. I spoke to a ranger, but it wasn’t clear how much they were on the road in mid May. 

3 hours ago, Ber2048 said:

When are you going to be in Denali in mid May 2024. We will be there May 13 and 14 on a Princess Land tour. We arrive at 1:00p.m. on the 13th and have the rest of that day free. I was trying to figure out how I could get into the park without the buses. I also was thinking about just doing a trail around the visitor center, but was hoping for more. We will not have a car, so I was looking into renting? Someone posted it took them about 45 minutes to an hour to drive to mile 15, and about 1 1/2 hours to drive to mile 30 from mile 15, but you will need a car that you can drive on a gravel road. Not all rental cars are allowed to do that. Since the buses aren’t running then, you can take a personal car to mile 30.

We're arriving in Anchorage the 13th and doing a DIY land tour by rental car before our cruise on the 18th. Is that when you cruise also? We decided not to try to fit in Denali when we're there, so the gravel road became a non-issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

We're arriving in Anchorage the 13th and doing a DIY land tour by rental car before our cruise on the 18th. Is that when you cruise also? We decided not to try to fit in Denali when we're there, so the gravel road became a non-issue.

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

We are arriving in Fairbanks on the 10th and renting a car until the 12th doing our little DIY tour of Fairbanks and surrounding area. We start our land tour with Princess on the 12th, and motor coach to Denali on the 13th. We leave Denali on the 15th via the train to Whittier to start our cruise on the Grand Princess on May 15. Alaska is so vast, hard to see everything on one trip.  Have a wonderful time, and safe travels. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ber2048 said:

We are arriving in Fairbanks on the 10th and renting a car until the 12th doing our little DIY tour of Fairbanks and surrounding area. We start our land tour with Princess on the 12th, and motor coach to Denali on the 13th. We leave Denali on the 15th via the train to Whittier to start our cruise on the Grand Princess on May 15. Alaska is so vast, hard to see everything on one trip.  Have a wonderful time, and safe travels. 

Tell me about it.  We did a 2 1/2 month driving trip in AK a few years back and we still missed stuff I would have wanted to see.  I laugh when someone says that they want to see as much of AK as they can on a 1 week trip.

DON

• Like 1