Pre-Cruise Touring--HELP!

tapia

Thank you for the help budget queen!

After researching and looking at everything, I definately want to go to Seward.

I was thinking of:

Fly into Anchorage & take a train into Denali right away. Does this take a long time and do they have multiple times depending on when I get in? I know it's about 300 miles....but, that's it.

Stay the night at Denali Princess Lodge ($200 a night - get a night for free with toursaver). The next morning go into Denali national park for the tour: Is the one below good?

TUNDRA WILDERNESS TOUR - 6 to 8 hour tour through some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. Tour drivers, educated and trained as naturalists, provide colorful information about the land and its animals. Drivers stop to point out geographical features and animals. Travel 53 miles into Denali National Park to the Toklat River. Hourly rest stops. Price includes park entrance fee and box lunch w/ beverage. $93

Stay another night at Denali Princess Lodge

Train/Drive to Seward & stay the night. (I still haven't decided if a rental car of train is the best way to go....)

Do the Kenai water trip

http://www.kenaifjords.com/733.cfm

Which tour is the best?

Stay the night.

http://www.alaskadogsled.com/availabletours/overnight/

$ 498.20 per person for the overnight tour

$ 413.40 per person for the Dog Sled Tour

Is staying the night on this tour exciting? Anyone know?

Should I skip this night & go straight to Kenai and do the helicopter/dog sled excursion in Junea? Or should I stay another night for something else and still do the dog sled ride in Junea?

Drive to Kenai Princess Lodge in the AM & fish, white water raft, whatever & stay the night.

I would really like to go white water rafting and getting to do what I can here that is worth-while. Any ideas anyone? Is there an ATV adventure or something here?

Wake up & spend time wherever & get to the ship. (2 hours to Whitter-is this correct?)

This makes up either 5 or 6 nights which is what I have. Does everyone think this works? Any ideas?

Also, I've thought of encorporating Mt. McKinley & Talkeetna? I heard good things........but, haven't looked at trying to build that in. What do you think?

I've been looking at what everyone else has to say and trying to research as much as I can, but I'm still a bit lost....... HELP PLEASE?!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

There is only one train leaves about 8am and takes 8 hours, arriving about 4pm. This routing just about parallels the Parks Highway, so also consider a car rental. VERY easy 2 lane driving most of the way, 4 lanes through Wasilla. Bonus is the many many stops to consider along the way including Talkeetna, definately worth the stop.

No, I never recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour for independent travelers. Always the Shuttle bus into the park, min. distance in Fish Creek, about 1/3 the cost. But you do have to bring in all your own food and drink. Exact same bus type, just a different color. http://www.nps.gov/dena I suggest an overnight between Denali Park and Seward, otherwise you are looking at a 9 hour drive with stops. Use the days for touring stops.

For a Kenai Fjords boat tour you want at least 6 hours on the water. If using http://www.toursaver.com go with Renown for their 2 for 1 coupon. Inquire now about schedule.

With 6 nights- consider- overnight in Anchorage- drive to Denali park 2 overnights, overnight in Talkeetna, drive to Seward- 2 nights, early am back to Anchorage turn in car, get transportation to ship in Whittier, some back tracking. Otherwise consider a car rental with Harley's and drive from Seward direct to Whittier and your ship. http://www.harleysrentalaska.com/ May be more costly, but makes the best use of your time and most convenient.

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Can you tell me if renting a car is that significantly cheaper than using the trip the entire way?? I guess I'd just rather be relaxing on a train instead of driving, if that was possible........

Also, if I drive directly to Whittier and the ship from Seward, then I have some extra time, correct? (1 night, I believe) Perhaps I could spend another night in Talkeetna and do a summit flight to McKinley? Is that possible? What would you recommend with the extra time? I can't see driving back to Anchorage to turn back in the car...........

How far is it from Denali to Talkeetna & Talkeetna to Seward? Also, what is the driving time like from Anchorage to Denali?

I guess you don't recommend any reason to go to the Kenai princess?

There should be more rental agencies around!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Don't stay at the Kenai Princess. It is in the middle of nowhere and there is very little to do unless you are going fishing. Now if you are going fishing, there is a lot to do.

DH wanted to stay there a few years ago. I said OK. Little did I realize that he hired a fishing guide. I don't fish, so was stuck at the Kenai Princess for two days. Not something I would recommend.

From Denali Park to Talkeetna allow 3 1/2 hours, Talkeetna to Seward about 5 hours. Anchorage/Denali park allow 6 hours with stops.

As for the train, with a car, you have much more freedom. If you use http://www.toursaver.com the train is probably a little cheaper, but coupon restrictions may not allow a stop in Talkeetna??

@ greatam: Wow, I didn't realize that was ALL that was there...............That's crazy. I would like to go rafting at some point, but I can deal with not being there. Okay, I'm sold then on that point!

@Budget Queen: I know I'd probably have more freedom with a car, especially to stop wherever I want and go to eat wherever we would want.... But, the hassle of having to drive is always a pain. I looked and it would be about $425 for an SUV type for the week (1 way).

Have you done or know anyone who has done: http://www.alaskadogsled.com/availabletours/overnight/

The Dog Sled & Helo ride in Seward--or is it better to wait until Juneau?

Also, what else is there to do in Talkeetna that you recommend?

Do you recommend certain places to stay?

THANK YOU!

You do not need a SUV.

Godwin's is a great option, if of interest.

Talkeetna, is just a great funky town, better when the cruise buses are gone. :) Flightseeing is the forte here. It breaks up a Denali Park Seward trip great. Worth a stop even if not staying there. Not likely possible using toursaver with the train. Too many choices certainly. Go with what is best for you. The train is a great point to point option that is a great deal with toursaver.

LOL! You wouldn't say I didn't need an SUV if you saw my mother's luggage. As it is, I'm not sure if all her luggage and our small amounts would fit in an SUV..... (4 of us--if they came with us)

Do you think Talkeetna is worth more than 1 night?

That would make it: Anchorage to Denali -stay 2 nights

Denali to Talkeetna--stay the night

Talkeetna to Seward--stay 2 nights

Seward to Whittier--get on the ship

That would be 5 nights, which is pretty good. I would easily be able to build another 2 (maybe 3) nights into my trip (mostly due to my work schedule allowing) to spend somewhere else (or more time somewhere) if I wanted, or I could spend a night in Anchorage in the beginning, or I could come a day later (better with airfare prices?). What do you think?

Thank you for your advice!

LOL! You wouldn't say I didn't need an SUV if you saw my mother's luggage. As it is, I'm not sure if all her luggage and our small amounts would fit in an SUV..... (4 of us--if they came with us)

Do you think Talkeetna is worth more than 1 night?

That would make it: Anchorage to Denali -stay 2 nights

Denali to Talkeetna--stay the night

Talkeetna to Seward--stay 2 nights

Seward to Whittier--get on the ship

That would be 5 nights, which is pretty good. I would easily be able to build another 2 (maybe 3) nights into my trip (mostly due to my work schedule allowing) to spend somewhere else (or more time somewhere) if I wanted, or I could spend a night in Anchorage in the beginning, or I could come a day later (better with airfare prices?). What do you think?

Thank you for your advice!

Get a van, NOT an SUV. You will pay through the nose for an SUV and you do not need it. Vans have more luggage space and unless you are going off road, why pay the premium for an SUV? We always get a minivan on Priceline for all my DH fishing gear.

Take the time to go all the way into Denali. As has been posted here before, the Tundra Wilderness tour is overpriced and not worth the money. Take the park shuttle and your own lunch and drinks.

Actually, the small SUV is a lot less than the minivan on the website....

How small are the small ones??

I will definitely go all the way into Denali. THANKS!

I don't know what website you are looking at but Travelocity, Priceline (without bidding) and others all have the minivan cheaper by at least $40.00 than an SUV. And some over $200.00 cheaper.

The small SUV's are the size of a Rav4 , Pretty darn small- NOT the size of a Blazer, Tahoe, etc. Those are called Standard SUV's. If you bid on Priceline for a FULL-Size car, very often you can "trade" for a minivan for free or they may charge you $10.00 extra per day (Avis charged us last year, but the other years we traded for free). But you are taking a chance that there may not be any minivans. I always call the agency the week before we leave to find out how many they may have.

for places to stay in Talkeetna, try Talkeetnatravel.com

website-Karey, the person that does it has a lot of info when you talk w/ her or email her of what to do, where to stay in Talkeetna...we booked 2 different B&B's thru her for 2 different nights, didn't cost anymore and she was really nice to work with....we are driving to Talkeetna after flying into Anchorage, spending night...doing things around the town then on to Denali for night and bus tour to Fish Creek next day, then back to Talkeetna b4 on to Anchorage and then down to Seward b4 Whittier for cruise. In Seward we are staying at a place recommended on this board by GlacierLady--she is a wealth of info on Seward-where to stay, what to do...you could search under her name for posts by her. We rented our car for pickup in Anchorage and dropoff in Whittier thru Harleys.

I don't know what website you are looking at but Travelocity, Priceline (without bidding) and others all have the minivan cheaper by at least $40.00 than an SUV. And some over $200.00 cheaper.

The small SUV's are the size of a Rav4 , Pretty darn small- NOT the size of a Blazer, Tahoe, etc. Those are called Standard SUV's. If you bid on Priceline for a FULL-Size car, very often you can "trade" for a minivan for free or they may charge you $10.00 extra per day (Avis charged us last year, but the other years we traded for free). But you are taking a chance that there may not be any minivans. I always call the agency the week before we leave to find out how many they may have.

They are looking at a ONE way Whittier/Anchorage. Only 2 companies, Harley's and Avis.

Talkeetna is good for one night, but the Denali Park area is best with 2. After being up early and all day on shuttles, the 3++ hour drive back to Talkeetna, can be endless.

I was thinking since Anchorage to Denali is a 6 hour drive of staying in Anchorage 1 night, then 2 in Denali, then 1 in Talkeetna, then 2 in Seward before the ship leaves in Whittier. I was also going back to considering HAL (which I'm going to research today), but that would mean I'd have to drive to Whittier to drop off the car. Is there some sort of mass transportation on the way back? Thanks!

@mmo: Where are you staying while you are in Talkeetna? Are you doing anything? I was thinking of doing a summit flight or white water rafting. Since I'm already doing a helo ride somewhere else, I'm not sure if the summit flight is worth it. That and I'm already a little afraid of flying.....

Does anyone have any tips for Talkeetna?

Does my trip sound plausible to you?

I was thinking since Anchorage to Denali is a 6 hour drive of staying in Anchorage 1 night, then 2 in Denali, then 1 in Talkeetna, then 2 in Seward before the ship leaves in Whittier. I was also going back to considering HAL (which I'm going to research today), but that would mean I'd have to drive to Whittier to drop off the car. Is there some sort of mass transportation on the way back? Thanks!

@mmo: Where are you staying while you are in Talkeetna? Are you doing anything? I was thinking of doing a summit flight or white water rafting. Since I'm already doing a helo ride somewhere else, I'm not sure if the summit flight is worth it. That and I'm already a little afraid of flying.....

Well we are basically doing the same. Fly into Anchorage either on a Friday, Sat. or Sunday. Pick up the car.. drive on up to Denali.. no rush here. Then on Tuesday we have a shuttle bus reservation,to go back as far as they can go at that time of the season.

Wednesday we head to Talkeetna, check into the Talkeetna Chalet B and B and then we have a 7 PM scheduled (weather allowing) flight seeing tour.

Thursday we drive to Seward.. again no rush here.. take in the sights on the way.. check into the Ballentine b an b then on Friday, take the 6 hour Kenai fjord tour.

Saturday, drive easy to Whittier to unload the bags and then the car before crusing on down to Vancouver.

Yep should be very possible :)

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for the info!

What are you doing on the first day in Denali (I guess the day you're driving there). Also, what are you doing the day you drive to Seward from Talkeetna?

Also, where did you decide you were staying and how much do you think you're spending?

THANK YOU!

Tapia--in Talkeetna first night staying at Eye of Denali B&B, in Denali area next night staying actually in Healy at Pat and Windell's B&B (2 queen beds, bath, breakfast, etc for $87/noc), again in Talkeetna at Freedom Hill B&B--all looked fine for amount of time we would be there....booked Talkeetna thru Karey at www.talkeetnatravel.com...she also sent us a website to look at for something to do that wasn't airplane related-not my favorite activity either!- it's www.denaliviewraft.com.....a couple of the trips looked interesting. I'm just thinking though come cruise time I am going to be so tired from all the activities and driving preceding the cruise all I'm going to want to do is sit on our balcony and veg out!!!!! Hope this helps. Marita

Island Princess SB June 19th---only one other couple replied to the roll call for this trip, I hope DH and I won't be too lonesome!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for the info!

What are you doing on the first day in Denali (I guess the day you're driving there). Also, what are you doing the day you drive to Seward from Talkeetna?

Also, where did you decide you were staying and how much do you think you're spending?

THANK YOU!

Allow for plenty of ad lib stops along the way. From Talkeetna to Seward, I would try and add in a Hatcher Pass drive, FROM Palmer- not Wasilla, with a morning start out of Talkeetna - can easily be done. Again plenty of wonderful stops to consider along the way.

HAL with Glacier Bay and College Fjords is definately my first choice, but if cruising out of Whittier, this may be a transfer option?? http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

HAL with Glacier Bay and College Fjords is definately my first choice, but if cruising out of Whittier, this may be a transfer option?? http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

Question for you: The HAL & Princess trips that are most comparable are much more expensive on HAL than Princess! Is there a reason I should spend more money just to be on HAL when I could spend this money on excursions?

Hatcher Pass drive, FROM Palmer- not Wasilla[/quote]

Is there a map or something that I could follow with details? (or a book I can buy?)

@ mmo: Thanks for the Talkeetna info!

It all looks interesting...

Do you think the summit flight is worth it?

I looked at:

http://www.talkeetnatravel.com/flightseeing.php?userid=custRjJuis

and

http://www.talkeetna-aero.com/alaska_flightseeing_tours.htm

Can anyone tell me why the second one is so much more expensive? Is the summit flight really worth it?

Also, is the Denali Princess Lodge overrated? Worth it? Especially with the toursaver book?

Also, a couple of questions about the excursions:

Ketchikan: Is Island Wings & the Bear Watching worth it?? Are there other tours to consider?

Juneau: I REALLY want to do the dog sledding, but should I delay a day (I'm going southbound) and go with Captain Larry?

Skagway: I was thinking about the Glac. Pnt. Wilderness Safari

I really have to cut back a bit on the money I am looking at spending. What does everyone think? Should I go with different excursions or switch some?

Is there an ATV adventure anywhere??

Question for you: The HAL & Princess trips that are most comparable are much more expensive on HAL than Princess! Is there a reason I should spend more money just to be on HAL when I could spend this money on excursions?

No only if you can't factor in Seward from Whittier.

Hatcher Pass drive, FROM Palmer- not Wasilla[/quote]

Is there a map or something that I could follow with details? (or a book I can buy?)

You need to get a copy of THE MILEPOST.

@ mmo: Thanks for the Talkeetna info!

It all looks interesting...

Do you think the summit flight is worth it?

I looked at:

http://www.talkeetnatravel.com/flightseeing.php?userid=custRjJuis

and

http://www.talkeetna-aero.com/alaska_flightseeing_tours.htm

Can anyone tell me why the second one is so much more expensive? Is the summit flight really worth it?

Absolutely excellent excursion. There is a significant difference between the summit view and summit flight, with the summit flight going OVER THE TOP of McKinley, always my preference. Talkeetna Aero in the past has allowed usage of toursaver with a surcharge for the summit flights.

Also, is the Denali Princess Lodge overrated? Worth it? Especially with the toursaver book

I think so, only a standard hotel in my opinion, very busy with constant loading and unloading of buses. IF you can get a toursaver deal, then certainly worth it but not for me otherwise.

Also, a couple of questions about the excursions:

Ketchikan: Is Island Wings & the Bear Watching worth it?? Are there other tours to consider?

Yes, definately worth it if you want to see bears with salmon. Certainly, yes many many more worthwhile excursions as well.

Juneau: I REALLY want to do the dog sledding, but should I delay a day (I'm going southbound) and go with Captain Larry?

Not sure what this question is asking???

Skagway: I was thinking about the Glac. Pnt. Wilderness Safari

I really have to cut back a bit on the money I am looking at spending. What does everyone think? Should I go with different excursions or switch some?

Frankly, I go on excursions I want and certainly have my repeating favorites. :) Only you can decide what your budget options are- can you pump out some extra overtime???

Budget Queen~

LOL, sadly they have me doing the overtime hours, but I don't get paid for them--otherwise I'd take it in a flash!

I guess with Juneau, I was asking if Captain Larry was that good--if that trip is great, I'd delay the dog sledding to go in Skagway instead instead of the boat trip...

For the HAL vs. Princess comparison, I took out the books and compared the same date with the glacial viewing trip with the same type of room (lowest balcony on both) and got cheaper prices from the princess book. (I would only be spending the extra price for 1 person to get back to Seward since everyone else would already be there--that one person would return the rental car in Whittier & come back) Am I looking at something wrong?

So, between the two companies for the summit flight, you would book with Talkeetna Aero?

What other excursions would you recommend in Ketchikan? I love the idea of seeing the bears, but I'm not sure $420 a person is worth it....

I'll also go & get a copy of the milepost the first second I get! THANK YOU so much for all the information!

If you are highly interested in seeing humpbacks then Orca Enterprises is the way to go. But if you've seen them before, have little interest etc, then skip it for your other preferences.

Cruise brochures are not the place to compare pricing, get REAL prices from booking agents. Compare with several.

Only Talkeetna Aero and K2 do summit flights that I know of. As mentioned, if you get the toursaver.com go with Talkeetna Aero.

Ketchikan has Misty Fjords flightseeing, fishing, great walking city. Plenty of native culture. Request their vistor guide http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

Archived