Pre-Cruise Touring--HELP!

tapia

There is only one road south and one road north out of Anchorage. The one north is the Glenn, which then breaks off at the Palmer/Wasilla cutoff where the Glenn goes to Palmer and the Parks goes to Wasilla and then onto past Talkeetna and Denali to Fairbanks.

The one south is the Seward Highway, which you stay on all the way from Anchorage to Seward and goes right by Girdwood where Alyeska is.

Susan in Anchorage :)

There is only one road south and one road north out of Anchorage. The one north is the Glenn, which then breaks off at the Palmer/Wasilla cutoff where the Glenn goes to Palmer and the Parks goes to Wasilla and then onto past Talkeetna and Denali to Fairbanks.

The one south is the Seward Highway, which you stay on all the way from Anchorage to Seward and goes right by Girdwood where Alyeska is.

Thank you for the information. That really helps. So, the easiest thing to do is probably to rent a round trip Anchorage car and then go from Anchorage to Seward via bus/train and then go from Seward to Whittier (somehow--don't know how yet).

Can you tell me if there are LOTS of things to see between Anchorage and Denali? I could always stay in Denali only 2 nights and get in the flightseeing that I would have done in Talkeetna in Denali (cutting off one night--which I'm not concerned about. I'd rather take a full 8 days than cut off one to 6 days!) and take the round trip train from Denali to Anchorage. Would I be missing A LOT in the town of Talkeetna and driving from Denali to Talkeetna. DH and my father are VERY NOT THRILLED about the driving situation at all........ I remember reading something about a 2 for 1 toursaver coupon for the train as well..... What do you think?

I can say I've lived here off and on for 28 years (the last 22 1/2 here) and I've never been in the town of Talkeenta proper :eek: Have stopped in the gas station that's on the Parks Highway there but haven't gone into town. Town is a funky little place that is mainly used a lot in the summer for the climbers that are going to do McKinley. So I really can't tell you if you'd be missing anything in Talkeenta.

Lots to see, not sure how to answer that. Well the scenery is gorgeous and there's always the opportunity to see wildlife.

Think you're thinking right about doing the car north and then taking the train south. Sitting on the train roundtrip all that way if you did both north and south could possibly get boring, as the trains go much slower than if you were driving.

Not sure if you can depend on what would be in the 2007 tour saver. Just because it's been in one of the books in the past, doesn't mean that it would show up in the future.

I can say I've lived here off and on for 28 years (the last 22 1/2 here) and I've never been in the town of Talkeenta proper :eek: Have stopped in the gas station that's on the Parks Highway there but haven't gone into town. Town is a funky little place that is mainly used a lot in the summer for the climbers that are going to do McKinley. So I really can't tell you if you'd be missing anything in Talkeenta.

Lots to see, not sure how to answer that. Well the scenery is gorgeous and there's always the opportunity to see wildlife.

Think you're thinking right about doing the car north and then taking the train south. Sitting on the train roundtrip all that way if you did both north and south could possibly get boring, as the trains go much slower than if you were driving.

Not sure if you can depend on what would be in the 2007 tour saver. Just because it's been in one of the books in the past, doesn't mean that it would show up in the future.

Thank you! I really apprecaite it! I'm going to do a round-trip Anchorage rental and then take the train / bus from Seward from there. Any preference?

Since I'm driving round-trip Anchorage, I'll probably stop in Talkeetna just to break the trip up. I'm not sure if there is anything else between Anchorage and Denali.... Also, then I can just flightsee from there.

How I get to Whittier from Seward, I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure I can work something out!

Do you have any idea when the toursaver 'list' comes out? I e-mailed them and they said the actual books won't be out until the end of October/November. But, I'm not sure if a list comes out before then....

Thanks!!!!

I've never gotten the book but the reason I know about the book is that fact that I subscribe to the newsletter that the person that is involved in the book writes on travel here in town. And then all of a sudden he'll put it into his newsletter about what's going to be in it, so you may want to subscribe.

http://www.toursaver.com/newsletter.php

I've never gotten the book but the reason I know about the book is that fact that I subscribe to the newsletter that the person that is involved in the book writes on travel here in town. And then all of a sudden he'll put it into his newsletter about what's going to be in it, so you may want to subscribe.

http://www.toursaver.com/newsletter.php

I will, thank you!!!!!

By any chance do you know about any transportation from Seward to Whittier?

Or do you know if any of the rental agencies will rent you one of those luggage racks that go on the top of cars as well?

Sorry can't help there. I'm always in my car coming or going to Seward and drive by the road to the tunnel to Whittier :D because there are not too many reasons to go to Whittier except to get on a ferry or take a 26 Glacier cruise.

Sorry can't help there. I'm always in my car coming or going to Seward and drive by the road to the tunnel to Whittier :D because there are not too many reasons to go to Whittier except to get on a ferry or take a 26 Glacier cruise.

I know, I was trying to just jump on HAL's ship in Seward, but it looks like they aren't doing any Southbound Glacier Bay sailings. So, I'm not going to chance it and will book on Princess.....

Have never seen a rental car in this town with a luggage rack (and I know what the car rental inventory looks like as I'm involved with airport work), though they do rent SUV's that have them, but then when you start looking at a SUV the prices goes cha ching.

Yeah, I saw the prices go way up, that's why I didn't consider it, as 2 cars are cheaper--YUCK!

So, I'm still unsure if I can cram my mom's luggage into a mini-van though..........I'm not sure it's possible. Any chance you know what types of mini-vans they have?

No I don't. Different companies use different car manufacturers. Best bet is to go into the airport web site, find out who is doing rentals and then go to the car rental companies site and just put in some bogus dates and see what comes up. They'll show you categories and that will show you how many people and how many pieces of luggage they are expected to take.

No I don't. Different companies use different car manufacturers. Best bet is to go into the airport web site, find out who is doing rentals and then go to the car rental companies site and just put in some bogus dates and see what comes up. They'll show you categories and that will show you how many people and how many pieces of luggage they are expected to take.

Wow, that's great! I didn't know they told you pieces of luggage as well.

Now all I have to do is figure a way from Seward to Whittier and I'll be all set!

Are 2007 HAL schedules already out??? In the past they have had several southbound Glacier Bay sailings.

As for getting Seward/Whittier- http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

My Girdwood train reference was for the poster on a cruisetour staying there. I suggested they take advantage of the early Seward arrival of the train and skip out on the later included bus.

Are 2007 HAL schedules already out??? In the past they have had several southbound Glacier Bay sailings.

As for getting Seward/Whittier- http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

My Girdwood train reference was for the poster on a cruisetour staying there. I suggested they take advantage of the early Seward arrival of the train and skip out on the later included bus.

The 2007 "preliminary" schedule is out for HAL, I read on the HAL boards. But, I really don't have much movement with my dates and it looks as if they have no Southbound sailings out now at all. If they add them, I don't want to chance they won't have the small window I want to go. Since I want an aft balcony, I think I'll have to book with the company I want as soon as the rates come out. I believe Princess comes out first, so I'll just go with them. I'll have to look into their cancellation policy as well, that way if HAL has what I want then I can go with them later.

Thank you for the link!

The 2007 "preliminary" schedule is out for HAL, I read on the HAL boards. But, I really don't have much movement with my dates and it looks as if they have no Southbound sailings out now at all. If they add them, I don't want to chance they won't have the small window I want to go. Since I want an aft balcony, I think I'll have to book with the company I want as soon as the rates come out. I believe Princess comes out first, so I'll just go with them. I'll have to look into their cancellation policy as well, that way if HAL has what I want then I can go with them later.

Thank you for the link!

You have a very sound idea. Definately book your aft balcony with princess as soon as it comes out, since this is a priority for you. It is easy to cancel with little or no fee outside of the final payment. You have a sure thing locked up and still can look around. :)

You have a very sound idea. Definately book your aft balcony with princess as soon as it comes out, since this is a priority for you. It is easy to cancel with little or no fee outside of the final payment. You have a sure thing locked up and still can look around. :)

That's the plan at the moment! Thanks! I still am hoping that HAL will come out with a Southbound during the 2 weeks I want for around the same price. But, I guess time will tell..........

Do you have any idea when HAL publishes their "official list?"

There seems to be so much experience on this board. Wish I had found it sooner. We are pretty new to cruising and right now keep coming back to RCL #15 in May. Their 07 trips are not out yet, but would assume there will be a similar trip next year. There are so many choices and now I am thinking we should plan our pre cruise trip ourselves. We wanted to book the minute the new rates come out (hopefully next month) so feel we are running out of time. This trip is pricey but seems good for 1st time travelors without much time to gain wisdom from the rest of you. I know now we should have been planning a year ago for 07. There will be two couples going and we are in our 60's so maybe not quite as adventursome as the rest of you. We realize May will be cold - any info on advantages or disadvantages of May in Alaska will be helpfull also. Help!

There seems to be so much experience on this board. Wish I had found it sooner. We are pretty new to cruising and right now keep coming back to RCL #15 in May. Their 07 trips are not out yet, but would assume there will be a similar trip next year. There are so many choices and now I am thinking we should plan our pre cruise trip ourselves. We wanted to book the minute the new rates come out (hopefully next month) so feel we are running out of time. This trip is pricey but seems good for 1st time travelors without much time to gain wisdom from the rest of you. I know now we should have been planning a year ago for 07. There will be two couples going and we are in our 60's so maybe not quite as adventursome as the rest of you. We realize May will be cold - any info on advantages or disadvantages of May in Alaska will be helpfull also. Help!

IF you are looking at May 07, you have PLENTY of time for independent tour planning. You can look at various cruisetours for ideas, then fine tune them for superior freedom and timing based on your priorities. Basically- consider allowing at least 5 days. Head to Denali Park for 2 days, consider a northbound sailing, so you get interior end of May, more distance into Denali. With RCI, you have the wonderful Seward port, spend at least the full day there, better with an overnight. My top recommendation is a Kenai fjords boat tour. :) take the train to Anchorage, overnight, next day pick up a rental car. Head to Talkeetna, overnight, take your time getting there, flightseeing is the top tour choice here. :) Next day, head to Denali Park, take the shuttle to Toklat second day there, return to Anchorage. :)

This is a basic schedule. Plenty of fine tuning available. :) If you go later, Hatcher Pass is a wonderful drive.

Archived