Experiences Booking with Ultimate Rewards Points?

I am considering booking a 2024 cruise using a substantial amount of Ultimate Rewards points.  I have a Sapphire Reserve card, so I will be getting 1.5 cents per point.  I know this isn't maximum value - I typically don't use points unless I get 2 cents or more, but decided in this case I'll be happy with the lower redemption.

I've done a bit of research - but other than sites providing info on "how to book", I haven't found a lot of detail.  Looking for input from anyone with real world experience here. 

I understand I only have 1 chance to use points.  I'd prefer to pay only the deposit in $$ or points when I book, then use points at final payment date to pay the balance.  But I don't believe I can do that.  I think I have to pay the full balance with points when I book?  One scenario I'm not sure about is if I book and pay deposit directly with Royal and transfer the reservation with nothing immediately owed - can I then wait until final payment to pay the balance with points?

While we are fairly set on the date and itinerary - the cruise would be 18 months away, and life happens.  How are changes handled through Chase (we wouldn't cancel as we don't want to lose the full deposit)?  I know there would be $100/pp change fee for Royal - but does Chase charge any change fees on top?

How does trip insurance / CFAR coverage work if I used points to book?  Can I still get coverage if I choose?

Any other considerations I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance -

Mike

I haven't tried to book a cruise through ultimate rewards, but I've done it with hotels, and in my experience the entire balance has to be paid all at once.

It seems like all reward travel booked through ultimate rewards requires full payment up front, though I've read that there are supposedly hotels and packages that you don't have to pay in full right away, but I've never come across them. 

I transfer my points into Southwest Airlines and get my flights for free, which always seems like a better deal than using the points to book other travel. 

I looked at a hotel this evening and if wanted to use 58,000 points for a $600 hotel, which is nuts! I could get 4-6 flights on southwest for that many points, a value of well over $600 (closer to $1200-$1800). Using the points to book travel just doesn't seem like the best use, even when they're offering 1.5 or 2x value.

Oh and the other thing is that when you pay cash for travel booked through ultimate rewards, you earn 10x points. But you don't earn any points when you use the points. I think you get the most dollar value out of using the points to book plane tickets and then using the money you saved on the plane tickets to book the travel and get more points. Just food for thought.  

Edited by ARandomTraveler

• 9 months later...

@mandream What did you end up doing? I’m looking at the exact same situation right now. Can I book direct with RC paying only the deposit and then transfer over to Chase to pay off the balance? Can I book direct with Chase, pay some now and some later with points? What about the refundable part if I need to change my cruise? Thanks for any info you can provide!!

3 hours ago, beckster2001 said:

@mandream What did you end up doing? I’m looking at the exact same situation right now. Can I book direct with RC paying only the deposit and then transfer over to Chase to pay off the balance? Can I book direct with Chase, pay some now and some later with points? What about the refundable part if I need to change my cruise? Thanks for any info you can provide!!

So in the end, I decided to not use points. It was just too low a redemption value, especially when factoring in the OBC from my TA that I would be losing out on by using Chase. 

That being said, I did look into this and spoke to two different Chase cruise representatives who were consistent with each other and sounded knowledgeable. They confirmed that I could make my initial deposit with RC directly, then transfer to chase. I would NOT need to pay anything to Chase until final payment - at which time I could use points. There was no fee for cancelling. 

I would call yourself and confirm, but I was very comfortable that this would work the way I had hoped. But in the end I decided to pay for this cruise with cash and use my points for a higher return. 

Good luck! 

Mike 

21 hours ago, mandream said:

So in the end, I decided to not use points. It was just too low a redemption value, especially when factoring in the OBC from my TA that I would be losing out on by using Chase. 

That being said, I did look into this and spoke to two different Chase cruise representatives who were consistent with each other and sounded knowledgeable. They confirmed that I could make my initial deposit with RC directly, then transfer to chase. I would NOT need to pay anything to Chase until final payment - at which time I could use points. There was no fee for cancelling. 

I would call yourself and confirm, but I was very comfortable that this would work the way I had hoped. But in the end I decided to pay for this cruise with cash and use my points for a higher return. 

Good luck! 

Mike 

This is great info - thank you! Do you remember how far out final payment to Chase would be due?

48 minutes ago, beckster2001 said:

This is great info - thank you! Do you remember how far out final payment to Chase would be due?

I didn't ask specifically with Chase. Often TAs set their final payment a week or two before the cruiseline - but generally the same time frame. 

Mike