NCL Encore Wi-Fi: does it work for calls in What’s App or Google Meet?

connolk

Sailing on Encore 4/9-4/16/23!  I like to keep in touch with my daughter and new grandson on Google Meet with a video chat. Can I do this using the Wi-Fi package on the Encore?  NCL says I can, but I’m wondering if it actually works well? The last time I sailed in 2019 the Internet was spotty, at best. TYIA for any feedback. 

I have an android phone and was able to use the What's up app and also facebook messenger on the ship.  I didn't make any calls home, just used it to contact others on the ship. 

• Haha 1

Thank you! Do you still have to do the login/logout process every time you use the Wi-Fi, to avoid using up your minutes? Last time I cruised was 2019. I’m getiing unlimited but hubby will have 150 minutes. 

44 minutes ago, connolk said:

Thank you! Do you still have to do the login/logout process every time you use the Wi-Fi, to avoid using up your minutes? Last time I cruised was 2019. I’m getiing unlimited but hubby will have 150 minutes. 

Yes.

Thank you! If I remember right, was it 2 separate apps you had to download once you were on the ship? It would be great to have instructions prior to boarding, the

Wi-Fi desk usually had a long line. 

19 hours ago, connolk said:

The unlimited plan does not have to log on/off. Just the 150 min plan. 

That being said, the unlimited plan is one device at a time. For example, we share on unlimited account across 4 phones (1 personal and 1 work phone each), an iPad, and a laptop. 

You will be sharing a slow satellite link with 4000 of your newest friends along with ship’s operations and crew. Don’t expect speed, especially on sea days. 

Have a great cruise! We sailed on the Encore on your itinerary last year. 

18 hours ago, connolk said:

Thank you! If I remember right, was it 2 separate apps you had to download once you were on the ship? It would be great to have instructions prior to boarding, the

Wi-Fi desk usually had a long line. 

There is one NCL app which you should already have loaded on your phone. It has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi, but allows you to see the freestyle dailies and restaurant menus. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The unlimited plan does not have to log on/off. Just the 150 min plan. 

That being said, the unlimited plan is one device at a time. For example, we share on unlimited account across 4 phones (1 personal and 1 work phone each), an iPad, and a laptop. 

You will be sharing a slow satellite link with 4000 of your newest friends along with ship’s operations and crew. Don’t expect speed, especially on sea days. 

Have a great cruise! We sailed on the Encore on your itinerary last year. 

Thank you! I was hoping to have a video chat on What’s App with my daughter, but that might not work too well from what I’m hearing. 

6 hours ago, knom said:

i always mess up on logging out, wait a day or so and get the unlimited, by time I got my credit, it was $50 for unlimited.

I just wish I could get the instructions for connecting ahead of time, so when I board I can do it myself and not have to wait in that insane line. 

1 hour ago, connolk said:

I just wish I could get the instructions for connecting ahead of time, so when I board I can do it myself and not have to wait in that insane line. 

Turn on airplane mode. Turn WiFi on. Connect to NCL WiFi. Open your app to make sure you're connected (optional). Go to a browser, type in login.com, sign in. Voila, you're online. No line to stand in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Turn on airplane mode. Turn WiFi on. Connect to NCL WiFi. Open your app to make sure you're connected (optional). Go to a browser, type in login.com, sign in. Voila, you're online. No line to stand in.

Thank you so much! 😊