Can you buy the Sommerlier Suite Cellar Collections on board?

lissie

We're cruising Zaandam for a port-intensive trip (25 days 21 ports) and don't have the drink package. We like wine with dinner though and the  sommelier cellar collections are of some interest.  I have some questions though. 

Do you have to buy in advance? Or can you buy on board?  (We have OBC) . Do they run out of some of the named wines? Can you use the collection anywhere ie at a bar? The options on check out are choosing a delivery date  - we don't want that we want to select a bottle depending on what we're eating on whichever night.

Will the wine waiter keep an opened bottle for you in the dining room for another night? Can you drink it in another bar, venue.   There's no real value in having some of the wines in the stateroom as most rooms don't have a fridge and we like to drink a mix of red and white - so I'd happily take a red wine back to the stateroom but I dislike  warm white wine.  

We are all about the Sommelier Wine Package.....

2 minutes ago, lissie said:

Do you have to buy in advance? Or can you buy on board?  (We have OBC)

We prefer to buy onboard.  Why?  Use OBC and also we order it from our waiter the first night in the MDR.  I'm not sure but think he might get credit for the sale.  Ordering pre-board or on-board matters not with price.

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Do they run out of some of the named wines?

Yes.  We always get the cheapest package (#1) and many times they will substitute a bottle from package 2 or 3 (higher priced) if they are out of a certain type of wine in package 1.  Also, other wines may be offered rather than the ones on the form. If you are wine picky, this may not work for you.  We are good with whatever and enjoy every glass/bottle we have been served. YMMV. 

5 minutes ago, lissie said:

Can you use the collection anywhere ie at a bar?

That was once the case but no more, according to the rules.  But we did not know this and the bartender at Billboard gladly served us a bottle from our package....but do not expect that.  The rule now is to drink it in your room or at dinner.

6 minutes ago, lissie said:

The options on check out are choosing a delivery date  - we don't want that we want to select a bottle depending on what we're eating on whichever night.

So when you are dining, order your wine off the package list and enjoy. If some is left over, the waiter will secure it for you for tomorrow...or another night...or take it to your room....And tomorrow you can finish off that bottle or order a new one based on the menu. We only order one bottle at a time. 

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

Will the wine waiter keep an opened bottle for you in the dining room for another night?

Yes. see above 

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

Can you drink it in another bar, venue. 

Dining room or room.....and I believe dining room could mean surcharge dining rooms also.  I'll go find the fine print on that again as that is new.  We often take a full glass with us when leaving the dining room and finish it wherever we end up. 

We enjoy the Sommelier Package....And 3/4/5 Mariners get 25/50/50 percent off.  

Enjoy the cruise...and the wine onboard.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We enjoy the Sommelier Package....And 3/4/5 Mariners get 25/50/50 percent off.  

Enjoy the cruise...and the wine onboard.

Thank you so much -  sounds like you roll very much the same as us. Almost all wines served  on HAL are new to us (well except Cloudy Bay  Sav Blanc - which I could buy in the local supermarket if I liked it LOL) so we're pretty neutral and just order the grape types we like!  Yes they can feel free to substitute more expensive bottles - all good with that! 

• Like 1

FlaMariner summed it up great.

On cruises that we opt out on the HIA package we take advantage of the Sommelier Package. I purchase mine on board as this let s me know what wines are available for the different packages. The breakdown online is a good representation, but at times not all wines shown are available and I get to see what is being subbed.

On cruises over 14 days, I purchase one mid and one upper-level package this seems to give us a wide spectrum to select from. Our wine steward and the sommelier have always been great in pairing wines with our meals both in the MDR and specialty restaurants.