Onboard Virtuosa Northern Europe now - port hints

elmsliebev

Just arrived in Le Havre, so a few quick points on getting to and from the ship at the ports we've stopped at so far. 

Hamburg- we got the MSC shuttle (€18) which drops and picks up near the Rathaus (City Hall). Limited options on Sundays but apparently there is a free bus as well that comes out to the port. Worth a look when you're on the dockside before getting on the MSC bus?

We had a look at the Rathaus, stunning building, then coffee in a Starbucks opposite (currently behind scaffolding) which had free WiFi. Looked in a couple of churches, had a beer (happily for me they had 0% beer on draught) then went to the art gallery. 

Zeebrugge - we got the coach from just outside the port. There is a free shuttle from the ship to the port gates, then go to your left across the road and there's a kiosk/van settling tickets. It's now €25 pp return. You can go in a sort of waiting room that has free WiFi and the guy comes for you when the coach is ready, every 30 minutes) You are dropped in a coach park about a 15 minute walk through a park to the centre.  

Rotterdam (our new favourite port!) - there is a tourist information stand in the port building. A really helpful guy told us it is about a 20 minute walk or you can get the water taxi to near the Market Hall and the Cube Houses which we wanted to see. It was snowing a bit and very cold so we opted for the water taxi. You need to turn right when you come out of the port buildings and head for the New York Hotel, the water taxi is just beyond that. The original Holland America line building is there too. It's €4.50 pp for a single journey and I think it's cash only. You are supposed to book online to come back as it is a taxi service. We didn't know that and got to the stop where fortunately someone had booked and there was room for us. It's a fabulous quick way of getting across to the main part of the city!

It drops you by the Maritime museum and from there it's a 10 minute walk to the Market Hall, which is a great food spot. The Cube houses are juat beyond the Market Hall. We'll definitely come back to Rotterdam.  

In Le Havre there doesn't seem to be a free bus but it's a 15 min walk to the start of the centre of town. The tall concrete church is well worth a look. Le Havre is an interesting place. 

We've had an amazing cruise on our first MSC  ship, great food (especially the speciality dining) and great staff.  The ship is fun and exuberant but our cabin is peaceful and the steward has been excellent.  I'll write a full review when I get home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In Rotterdam there is a Metro underground station about 3 minutes walk from the Cruise Terminal (Towards the bridge), D or E line will get you to the centre in a few minutes,

E will take you all the way to the Hague if you want a visit to the Maritshuis to see "Girl with a Pearl Earing"

5 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Zeebrugge - we got the coach from just outside the port. There is a free shuttle from the ship to the port gates, then go to your left across the road and there's a kiosk/van settling tickets. It's now €25 pp return.

That´s a joke for this short ride. 

7 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Rotterdam (our new favourite port!)

Mine too.  I could never tire of it - the sail in /out, the buzz of the river, the Erasmus Bridge, the city.   I was there twice in 2022 - firstly on Virtuosa then on Queen Mary 2.

Pleased to hear you had a great first cruise on this lovely ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Loved our visit to Rotterdam in September 2019 from Preziosa.  I walked to the market hall and cube houses , you can pay to go in one , very cheap about €4 , absolutely mind boggling but stunning .

€3 at the moment,  so interesting.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VTSFAN said:

In Rotterdam there is a Metro underground station about 3 minutes walk from the Cruise Terminal (Towards the bridge), D or E line will get you to the centre in a few minutes,

E will take you all the way to the Hague if you want a visit to the Maritshuis to see "Girl with a Pearl Earing"

Yes, we were told about the metro but decided to go on the water taxi.