Just Returned - Antarctic Explorer Cruise

Frenchberet

We just returned from a 13-day expedition cruise to Antarctica!  We loved the beautiful Viking Octantis.  It appeared that every detail had been carefully thought out and every item in the décor curated especially for the space.  The ship was smaller than the ocean vessels but never felt crowded.  The staff was exceptional.

All of the excursions were included – landings, zodiac and special ops boats, subs, and kayaks.  No problem booking making additional reservations once on board.  We saw penguins, seals, whales, and many different species of birds.

There were daily lectures on history, wildlife, and conservation efforts.  All were available for viewing later in your stateroom.  There was also a large expedition staff that was helpful in answering questions and sharing information. 

We had dinner at the Restaurant three times and at Manfredi's three times.  We ordered room service once and enjoyed the rest of our meals at the World Cafe.  The World Cafe was different on the expedition cruise and included the Grill and Sushi bar.  The food was especially good at the Grill - we loved the NY strip steak!  We also thought Manfredi's was a step above on this cruise.  We booked one advance reservation at the Restaurant and Manfredi’s and additional reservations via the app once on board.  No problem.

We took tons of photos but it is impossible to capture the vastness and beauty of Antarctica.  We feel very fortunate to have had this experience.  We had a lot of questions before the cruise (thank you Austrailia08) and we’re happy to provide any other info. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Thank you so much for this review and the offer to answer questions.  We will be doing the 19 day cruise in February 2024.  I'm happy to hear that you did not make all of your dining reservations prior to leaving.  Do you think that making specialty restaurant reservations are best on "sea days?"  Was the dress code in all of the restaurants fairly casual?  Really looking forward to the grill, I could eat lobster 7 days a week!

When you were not on an excursion did you bring another jacket to wear on the ship or did you and most passengers wear the jacket given to you by Viking?

Were there specific excursions that you booked when the booking window opens?

Did you explore any other areas in Argentina before or after your cruise?

Thank you so much.  We are so looking forward to this adventure.  The cabin window that goes down half way seems fabulous for Antarctica.  Thank you again, Cherie

4 hours ago, hbtraveler said:

A couple of questions.  How was the Drake crossing?  Were you able to get most of your planned activities completed or were there some that the weather/ice conditions prevented?  Thanks.

The Drake Crossing was a little rough but nothing worse than the Tasmanian Sea or the North Atlantic by Norway.  

We didn’t miss any of the planned ports.  There was one day when they were unable to launch the subs due to high winds.  Another day high winds and choppy seas delayed the excursions.  However, they rescheduled everything for a few hours later.  Most of the days the skies were sunny and clear.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cccole said:

Thank you so much for this review and the offer to answer questions.  We will be doing the 19 day cruise in February 2024.  I'm happy to hear that you did not make all of your dining reservations prior to leaving.  Do you think that making specialty restaurant reservations are best on "sea days?"  Was the dress code in all of the restaurants fairly casual?  Really looking forward to the grill, I could eat lobster 7 days a week!

When you were not on an excursion did you bring another jacket to wear on the ship or did you and most passengers wear the jacket given to you by Viking?

Were there specific excursions that you booked when the booking window opens?

Did you explore any other areas in Argentina before or after your cruise?

Thank you so much.  We are so looking forward to this adventure.  The cabin window that goes down half way seems fabulous for Antarctica.  Thank you again, Cherie

We didn’t make specialty dinner reservations on the two Drake days but it turned out to be a non-issue, we felt fine.  We chose later dining times to allow for any delayed excursions.  Anything goes in the World Cafe.  The only requirement in the specialty restaurants was a collared shirt or sweater, no jeans.  

We brought a jacket to wear on the plane and walking around town.  Many folks just wore the Viking jacket liner or waterproof shell.  

Our priority was to do the landings so that’s what we booked first.  We were only able to pre-book one landing and one special ops boat.  The subs were booked within minutes of our sign-up time.  We were disappointed but once on board there was a waiting list for each activity and it appeared that everyone was able to do everything they wanted to do.

We used Viking Air and spent one night in Buenos Aires prior to the charter flight to Ushuaia.  Following the cruise we did the 5 night post extension Gateway to Patagonia.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

Following the cruise we did the 5 night post extension Gateway to Patagonia.

If you have a chance, could you review this post extension trip?  I probably would be interested in booking it when we get down that way in a year or two.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

Following the cruise we did the 5 night post extension Gateway to Patagonia.

We were considering this extension for a future cruise. What was your schedule like? It seems like you would be on multiple planes all day. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Post Extension - Gateway to Patagonia (5 nights)

Day 1 - We disembarked in Ushuaia and took a 2 1/2-hour commercial flight to El Calafate, Argentina.  We checked into the Xelena Hotel and had pizza in the bar.  After lunch we took a 4x4 ride to the summit of the Balcon del Calafate and Huyliche Hill.  There were several stops where we were able to photograph animals including guanacos, hares, rheas, and gray foxes.  We had tea at a ranch before returning to the hotel for dinner.

Day 2 - The next day we took a 2-hour bus ride to the Perito Moreno Glacier.  We walked the entire length of the glacier which included many steps and ramps.  This took about an hour and ended at the visitor center where we had lunch.  After lunch we took a boat ride along the front of the glacier to get a closer view.  We returned to the hotel and went into town.  There was nice promenade along the lake (2 km), however, we noted a large number of stray dogs roaming around the area so we opted for the free shuttle.  Dinner was on our own.

Day 3 – After breakfast at the hotel we took a long bus ride.  We passed through a mountain top immigration checkpoint and entered Chile.  We checked into the Rio Serrano Hotel and Spa and had dinner.

Day 4 – We spent the day exploring the Torres del Paine National Park by bus.  There were several impressive mountain peaks and a very nice waterfall.  We saw herds of guanacos and a puma.  We returned to the hotel for lunch.  In the afternoon there was an optional tour to Grey Lake.  We trekked through a small forested path, across a gravel beach, in a wind-driven rain, to see the glacier.  We did have a nice view of the glacier, although it was approximately 14km away.  We returned to the hotel for dinner.

Day 5 – After breakfast we boarded the bus for a 5-hour ride to the airport at Punta Arenas and flight to Santiago.  We arrived at the Ritz Carlton Hotel and had time to explore the city and have dinner on our own.

Day 6 – We had breakfast then checked out of the hotel.  We had time in the morning to explore the city on our own.  Viking arranged for a bus tour in the afternoon then transported us to the airport for our 10 p.m. flight. 

Overall, we enjoyed Patagonia.  Our guide was excellent and we got a lot of great photos.  However, after experiencing Antarctica, it was a bit anti-climactic.  There was a lot of bus time involved in this extension. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is such great info.  It will be fun to take a look at the excursions when they become available on line.  Is the thermal pool available to everyone or just those with a spa treatment?

I prefer to wear shorts and flip flops so will need to purchase warm socks and gloves.  Did you find you were able to keep your hands and feet warm?

Thank you again for the detailed and helpful info,  Cherie 

6 hours ago, cccole said:

This is such great info.  It will be fun to take a look at the excursions when they become available on line.  Is the thermal pool available to everyone or just those with a spa treatment?

I prefer to wear shorts and flip flops so will need to purchase warm socks and gloves.  Did you find you were able to keep your hands and feet warm?

Thank you again for the detailed and helpful info,  Cherie 

The LivNordic spa facilities are available to everyone.  The area is open all day and includes a heated pool, a warm tub with seating, sauna, steam room, and snow grotto.  There are changing rooms with showers, bathrobes, and slippers.  Services like facials and massages are available for a fee.

In addition, on deck 5 there are several plunge pools - tepidarium, frigidarium… Viking hosted a ‘polar plunge’ in this area and added ice cubes to one of the pools to enhance the experience!  

The temperature in Antarctica was around 30 degrees and we never felt really cold.  We took light and heavy gloves but ended up only wearing the lighter ones.  I had a few ‘hot hands’ and kept one in my jacket pocket to use to warm up when taking photos.  We also brought a few pair of boot socks and a set of long underwear (top & bottom).  I took a headband and stocking cap.  We packed lighter than some people but still brought stuff we didn’t need or wear.  

• Like 1

Thank you for answering my questions!!!!  The pools could be wonderful!!!

I have "hot hands" and will be packing them.  Thank you for the other packing tips.  Is there any "stuff" that you didn't need or wear that you would definitely not pack again for this cruise?   I hate overpacking but seem to always do it.   Thank you again for your help.  Cherie  

We both packed too many socks, shirts, and pants.  We always book a DV cabin and I don’t mind doing a load of laundry.  We took goggles but didn’t use them.  I bought a nice pair of polarized sport sunglasses that worked well.  Be sure to leave room for your red parka and liner!

Thank you!!!  I was wondering about the laundry.  I'll pack a couple laundry pods to use.   We will be in a DV cabin also.  Good info on the goggles and sunglasses.  My husband wears glasses or contacts so may need the googles.  I have Maui Jim's that should be fine.  THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for the info.  Cherie