Here’s to NOT “The Worst Cruise I’ve Ever Taken”!!! Sailing the Mera today- first time MSC, YC and Aurea Suite

L1211

Let’s talk main buffet- the food is fine, experience terrible.  This is where carnival gets an A+. They have all these free dining venues and that spreads the crowd out over multi areas.  MSC only offers the buffet creating a mass-convergence.  Some food is great, pizza and charcuterie stand out.  Fresh salad offerings, and had a fantastic beef stew.  Would have loved a wine- there were 13 people in the “queue” which doesn’t stop others from just going up to the bar and they get waited on. Too frustrating for me!  There is only a pool-side grill - maybe 30 people in line.  Just no…

It is my last. Iffy on the Mera and so much we have not experienced!  We did the main buffet for lunch. Have not seen a show, have only been to the pub and karaoke bars. Have not tried the Aurea MDR.  Spent most of our time in the YC areas.  What is a not miss for our last night??  

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Let’s talk main buffet- the food is fine, experience terrible.  This is where carnival gets an A+. They have all these free dining venues and that spreads the crowd out over multi areas.  MSC only offers the buffet creating a mass-convergence.  Some food is great, pizza and charcuterie stand out.  Fresh salad offerings, and had a fantastic beef stew.  Would have loved a wine- there were 13 people in the “queue” which doesn’t stop others from just going up to the bar and they get waited on. Too frustrating for me!  There is only a pool-side grill - maybe 30 people in line.  Just no…

Maybe the buffet food is all in one place because so many languages are spoken on the ships. I'd find it frustrating to have to go around thinking ok frittura di pesce is at the bow and is a tiny fish and chips booth on a ship in italy. I'd like to just walk by everything in one go.

7 minutes ago, CruiseScrooge said:

Maybe the buffet food is all in one place because so many languages are spoken on the ships. I'd find it frustrating to have to go around thinking ok frittura di pesce is at the bow and is a tiny fish and chips booth on a ship in italy. I'd like to just walk by everything in one go.

I do miss the carnival venues.  They have a Guys burger joint, blue iguana cantina, Italian restaurant that’s free at lunch, noodle/bowl place, sandwich shop, pizzeria, street food (dumplings, noodles and fries/tots), guys bbq - I’m sure I’m forgetting some!  They also have a traditional buffet.  My family enjoyed all the choices. It also spreads out the crowd- that may be the best part! 

11 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

No limes? No Chardonnay? These are bare minimum expectations from a bar. What is their excuse? Every other cruise line can keep these items in stock, but MSC can’t? SMH.

I keep thinking staffing is the issue. These things reappear, but I don’t think they have the staff to get it when they need it… 

3 hours ago, L1211 said:

Your snack choices in the lounge.  

4CCAD198-00E1-4972-AD5B-B23008A21E73.jpeg

I think that I see peanuts (how brave of them) and dried mango. I suppose it is better than caramelized onions and olives but I don't think they are giving a good impression of luxury in the YC.

I should note that there is a sign saying "Salted Chips" but then there are none...that almost feels worse...

Edited by NorthernCouple

Cocktail menu available by QR code and I’m happy to report, they had everything!  Mai tai and a chili drink that the DH says is chili forward with some serious heat.  He likes it! 

12695746-2B86-44D8-9D71-3E5AB96F038A.png

C63F4004-2920-441D-A6B3-B2EF69520076.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthernCouple said:

Quick! Stash some extra limes. 😆 Are the limes going to become MSC's pandemic toilet paper equivalent? Is that Chardonnay?

Bring your own???  Ha!

4 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Cocktail menu available by QR code and I’m happy to report, they had everything!  Mai tai and a chili drink that the DH says is chili forward with some serious heat.  He likes it! 

12695746-2B86-44D8-9D71-3E5AB96F038A.png

C63F4004-2920-441D-A6B3-B2EF69520076.jpeg

I fully intend(ed) to go through that entire drink list. I am worried that I will get:

"I would like X"

"We are out of X"

"I would like Y"

"We are out of Y"

"This is fun but can you just tell me what you have?"

Can you at least let them know that if they run out of Aviation Gin...we are going to have an issue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NorthernCouple said:

I think that I see peanuts (how brave of them) and dried mango. I suppose it is better than caramelized onions and olives but I don't think they are giving a good impression of luxury in the YC.

I should note that there is a sign saying "Salted Chips" but then there are none...that almost feels worse...

This cracked me up!  I’m only reporting what I experience…. 

I had to do elder care for quite a while and now that i'm cruising again i was disappointed to find out Carnival killed the tiny hidden away free fish and chips station on the Conquest class ships and put in a pay place. Norwegian and their O'sheehans/The Local pub is my choice. Costa,MSC,Carnival, NCL i've cruised but got the the other non luxury lines already booked or in the crosshairs.

7 minutes ago, NorthernCouple said:

I fully intend(ed) to go through that entire drink list. I am worried that I will get:

"I would like X"

"We are out of X"

"I would like Y"

"We are out of Y"

"This is fun but can you just tell me what you have?"

Can you at least let them know that if they run out of Aviation Gin...we are going to have an issue.

Hit or miss my friend…