Am I Really So Bad?

Magenta

I've been actively reading these boards for the past month now (in preparation for my cruise on 4/2/06) and I'm beginning to feel a little discouraged. Maybe depressed is a little better word for it... After reading all these posts I've found that, based on my appearance and my tastes, I'm classless and annoying and downright disgusting to other passengers.

I can understand people's misconceptions but I would just like to say that even though I like Hairy Chest Contests (because they're funny), and I like to dance and have some drinks while I'm doing it, and have a prolific amount of tattoos- that doesn't mean that I'm a gang banger or a former drug addict or a criminal or an inconsiderate fellow passenger.

So to all of you I'd just like to say.... Give me a chance. I'm a short tattoo'd mexican woman who is really a nice friendly articulate person at heart who just wants to enjoy her cruise. I love to meet new people and I would hate to think that some of you would prefer to sneer at me because of how I look. I look forward to making new friends on my cruise and I hope I've changed some perceptions. Thank you all!

Magenta if you happen to be sailing on the Legend, come join us. As long as your nice and like to have fun our group dosen't care if you have 2 heads.

Go to the Roll Calls for Carnival Legend. We're there. We're the one for 4/2/06 ;) (I can't cut and paste with my Mozilla settings.)

Don't feel discouraged--It's how you act, not how you look that will make the biggest impression.

Well said. And don't worry about fitting in - you'll find plenty of people like yourself who just want to have a good time. Stop worrying and enjoy your well-earned cruise!

You guys are so wonderful! Gives me hope for an enjoyable cruise. I'm actually cruising on the Fantasy from Port Canaveral to The Bahamas. I hope my fellow passengers are as open minded and wonderful as you guys!

You have made my day.

Unfortunately, some folks do look at tatoos in a dismaying manner. All I can say is....

Your actions will speak louder than your tatoos.:D Be nice and you should be treated as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Magenta, if you've really been read ALL the boards you would know that those fo us who prefer Carnival are ALL classles and uncivilized.:cool:

BUT WE JUST DON"T CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!

Never judge a book by it's cover. :)

I don't care what a person looks like; if they are friendly, fun and respectful, then they're fine by me! :D On a cruise ship, just like anywhere else, you will encounter fun people, friendly people, a few rude people, and every other type of person you can imagine. You will find your niche and fit in just fine. Enjoy! :cool:

Don't feel discouraged--It's how you act, not how you look that will make the biggest impression.

Absolutely. I'm one of the biggest supporters of formalilty on this board but I couldn't care less if a person had green hair and piercings from head to toe. As long as they made an effort to respect the rules that exist for consideration of other passengers I would have nothing but respect for them in return. True, we might not have much in common but that often leads to some interesting conversations and unique insights when both parties are open-minded.

I'd take you as a tablemate any day over a well-dressed and immaculately groomed poser!

Have a great trip!

My best friend in the world has body art that covers most of his back, arms and calves. I never give it a second thought. It whats inside the person that counts. have a great time. When you are drinking and dancing, just don't be the one falling down :-)

If you happened to watch the reality show "Survivor" several seasons ago, you'll mostly likely remember a guy named "Lex". He was covered in tattoos. So is his wife. They live around the block from my mom about 2 miles from me and both of them couldn't be nicer people. In other words, inside that "artistic cover" lies a beautiful book well worth reading. This couple do so much for fundraising efforts in our community. They have a son with autism and Lex and his band play at fundraising functions. They love animals, so they do a lot for them, as well. So when we notice their abundant body art, we look past that. Actually, we check it out first! Lex always seems to be getting a new tattoo to celebrate something or other! But he said his sons can't be 18 until they get any themselves! :p

I've been actively reading these boards for the past month now (in preparation for my cruise on 4/2/06) and I'm beginning to feel a little discouraged. Maybe depressed is a little better word for it... After reading all these posts I've found that, based on my appearance and my tastes, I'm classless and annoying and downright disgusting to other passengers.

I can understand people's misconceptions but I would just like to say that even though I like Hairy Chest Contests (because they're funny), and I like to dance and have some drinks while I'm doing it, and have a prolific amount of tattoos- that doesn't mean that I'm a gang banger or a former drug addict or a criminal or an inconsiderate fellow passenger.

So to all of you I'd just like to say.... Give me a chance. I'm a short tattoo'd mexican woman who is really a nice friendly articulate person at heart who just wants to enjoy her cruise. I love to meet new people and I would hate to think that some of you would prefer to sneer at me because of how I look. I look forward to making new friends on my cruise and I hope I've changed some perceptions. Thank you all!

I'm short (5'2"), articulate, have two tattoos and while not Meixcan I do have two Hispanic children, who I live to embarrass. I am Native American tho. I have never felt pushed aside or unwanted on any cruise. I don't think you will either. Have a fabulous cruise.

Hi Magenta

I am just as unclassy as you if you want to talk about the tattoo thing,On my first cruise there where many others that had Tat's and no one looked twice not even when I wore Jeans to the Dining Room:eek: (NON FORMAL NIGHT'S;) ) So you will have Fun And you sound like you would be a fun person to hang with:D

What a wonderful group of people. So helpful and so kind. I remember reading a post a couple of weeks ago from a passenger who classified his cruise as "the worst ever". I remember him writing that they should change the name of the company from "Carnival Cruise Lines" to "Tattoo Cruise Lines."

I didn't know how to feel when I read that. I felt optimistic that I would find people with common interests and a common appreciation of tattoos but felt confused as to why an abundance of body art would constitute a bad cruise for anyone!

You guys are great and although I may get some weird looks on "formal night" with my strapless evening gown, I'm going to enjoy my vacation!

Am I really so bad....

I'm a short tattoo'd mexican woman who is really a nice friendly articulate person at heart who just wants to enjoy her cruise.

You sound like my daughter! What are you doing in Las Vegas? C'mon home! Just kidding, but you do sound like her, and everyone who knows her, loves Lita (my DD). I'm sure it is the same with you. If I were on that cruise I would be happy to visit and chat a while. :)

What a wonderful group of people. So helpful and so kind. I remember reading a post a couple of weeks ago from a passenger who classified his cruise as "the worst ever". I remember him writing that they should change the name of the company from "Carnival Cruise Lines" to "Tattoo Cruise Lines."

!

There are dorks and morons EVERYWHERE and unfortunatly sometimes on cruises too. Anyone who belittles someone on the basis of appearance has just made a huge statement about their education and intelegance and believe me, it does not look good for them.

I read something from a dumb article in my husbands Maxxim Magazine (i was in the tub and it was all I could reach) that was actually good advice. "When you see someone smile and say hello first. It will change everything" I thought that was excellent advice. Smile, say hello and talk to people for everyone you turn off more will want to talk to you back. I know this to be true (works at the PTA meetings as well as cruises I have found).

want to talk to you because of your tatoos, then they are the ones that are missing out on meeting a great person not you, and thoses aren't the kind of people you wanted to hang out with anyway. I think you will find a lot of nice people to talk and have a good time with. Hope your cruise is wonderful and go have a good time. Linda

I like tatoos! To hell with anyone who judges someone because of that, and furthermore...well.. be proud of who you are , be honest and friendly, cruises are a great place to meet all sorts of people:)

Have a wonderful time!

MAO

Well, I'm a 21 and tattooed and I love my tattoos! If somebody doesn't like them, that's their problem, not mine. I've never had anybody say anything mean to me about having tattoos. A lot of people don't think of me as a "tattoo person" and seem suprised when they see them for the first time or find out I have some but that's just part of the fun.

And I think the hairy chest contest is a blast!

If that makes me classless, so be it. We'll all just have fun and be "classless" together :)

Hello Magenta, from another heavily tattooed woman (I'm also half Mexican)! I won't say classless because contrary to what some people think, many of us *do* have it ;) :D

Someone mentioned being respectful and probably not having much in common, but the truth is that the only thing that is different in many respects is what we have on our skin. We look different and that's about it.

And yes, being nice and respectful goes a long way. Then again, isn't that what our Mamas and Dads tried to teach us anyhow? lol I know mine did!

I bet that people will love you for who you are no matter what you look like. They're the ones who you want in your life anyway, girlie! Don't worry about what the meanies say, just keep on being you and you'll do fine!

Hi Magenta,

I remember coming here after our group of 50 cruised on the Sensation and reading comments about the "tattooed biker group" (which was us).

We had an awesome time even with all the non-tattooed people on board.

Archived