Am I Really So Bad?

Magenta

Sometimes, if you look beyond the outside, what's inside is well worth the time to get to know. Don't worry about the ones who only judge another person by their appearance. THEY are the ones who you really don't want to know. Go with a great attitude and a big smile! You'll have a blast!

:) A funny thing about those TATS, as we call them.....

Have you ever seen the line near the pool for the fake tatoo's?

People of all ages & types line up for them in a big rush. Dont fret, you had the courage to get the real deal & endure the pain:eek: . Have a great cruise, I am sure you will love your Carnival cruise.

I wish you were going on our cruise, you would have made a fine addition to our group.:)

My Grandmother taught me at a very young age that "class" has nothing to do with looks, economic status or brains. True "class" is forming your opinion of people by how they are not who they are.

I hope you have a blast and please, give a review when you return.

I've been actively reading these boards for the past month now (in preparation for my cruise on 4/2/06) and I'm beginning to feel a little discouraged. Maybe depressed is a little better word for it... After reading all these posts I've found that, based on my appearance and my tastes, I'm classless and annoying and downright disgusting to other passengers.

Hey Magenta - We are also cruising on 4/2/06 (to the Mexican Riviera!) and I just have to say that you can cruise with us anytime! I'm not looking for a "classy" cruise - I am looking for fun and relaxation and with Carnival I'm pretty much assured of both! :D

This is more of the kind of thread that I enjoy...this is where the bunch of people are that are really open-minded and unpretentious!! No one has 'certain expectations' of the other...we're all in this together...regardless of it 'fitting in to some little mold.' Puh-leeeze.....Tattoes, piercings, different ethnicity...whatever!! It doesn't matter to me...Are you a nice person? Friendly? Kind? GREAT!!!

There is something for EVERYONE on Carnival's ships....that is what is sooo great!

Some people are really missing out on meeting some wonderful people just based on 'what cruiseline' they may enjoy, what activities they find funny...what the are wearing, what color their hair is..etc!!

So Magenta...You are not bad at all!! Go on your cruise, have a blast!! There will be LOTS of fun, friendly people!!

On one of our past cruises ther was this guy with a huge mokawk, spiked up and tattoos everywhere.

I happened to strike up a conversation with him, and he was one of the nicest people on the ship.

Looks can be deceiving.

I wonder if my tattoo of a "topless" mermaid on my back offends anyone. Maybe I should have to stay on the F deck because of it. LOL

I've been actively reading these boards for the past month now (in preparation for my cruise on 4/2/06) and I'm beginning to feel a little discouraged. Maybe depressed is a little better word for it... After reading all these posts I've found that, based on my appearance and my tastes, I'm classless and annoying and downright disgusting to other passengers.

I can understand people's misconceptions but I would just like to say that even though I like Hairy Chest Contests (because they're funny), and I like to dance and have some drinks while I'm doing it, and have a prolific amount of tattoos- that doesn't mean that I'm a gang banger or a former drug addict or a criminal or an inconsiderate fellow passenger.

So to all of you I'd just like to say.... Give me a chance. I'm a short tattoo'd mexican woman who is really a nice friendly articulate person at heart who just wants to enjoy her cruise. I love to meet new people and I would hate to think that some of you would prefer to sneer at me because of how I look. I look forward to making new friends on my cruise and I hope I've changed some perceptions. Thank you all!

Magenta,

I hope you know there are many people who feel the same way as you.

As far as the Hairy Chest contest it was fun to watch until some of the

participants got really vulgar! I just leave if I'm not enjoying the show.

I'm sure you are a very nice person and you have a beautiful personality.

Enjoy you're cruise and getting to know other people. We're all God's children. Don't let anyone get you down. :p

mel

Everyone forms first impressions in part on appearance. Tattoos do say something about the person, to me. I hate tattoos, but three of my daughters, whom I love, have chosen to get them. I've tried to change my opinion about them, but I still feel the same.

If people say that they don't form an opinion, good or bad, on appearance, I doubt their sincerity.

Can these judgements be wrong? of course. Can a person get past a first impression? Yes

I can understand people's misconceptions but I would just like to say that even though I like Hairy Chest Contests (because they're funny), and I like to dance and have some drinks while I'm doing it,!

Hi Magenta,

Just go an have fun,thats all!!! Who cares about how you look.I hope you win the hairy chest contest.:D

Steve

I can understand people's misconceptions but I would just like to say that even though I like Hairy Chest Contests (because they're funny), and I like to dance and have some drinks while I'm doing it, and have a prolific amount of tattoos- that doesn't mean that I'm a gang banger or a former drug addict or a criminal or an inconsiderate fellow passenger.

So to all of you I'd just like to say.... Give me a chance. I'm a short tattoo'd mexican woman who is really a nice friendly articulate person at heart who just wants to enjoy her cruise. I love to meet new people and I would hate to think that some of you would prefer to sneer at me because of how I look. I look forward to making new friends on my cruise and I hope I've changed some perceptions. Thank you all!

I love your post and not to worry, I am a overweight, overbearing , Loud mouth woman who could really not give a hoot if someone is wearing jeans on formal night and i have always managed to find people just like me who like to have fun, and are not so involved with what everyone else is doing. You will have a fantastic time.

There are people from all classes of life on a cruise ship, it doesn't mean we all dont tinkle in the same pot:D

Live life to the fullest and enjoy the world around you. Life is much to short to waste any of it worrying about what other people think :)

Hi Magenta,

Just go an have fun,thats all!!! Who cares about how you look.I hope you win the hairy chest contest.:D

Steve

:eek: I didn't know she was joining the Hairy chest Contest.:eek:

Now that will make people like at her funny. LOL

Well. That one poster was really upsetting to me. First I'd just like to say that I understand that, although none of us would like to be judged by our appearance, I know that this is not always the case. I work as a professional in the construction industry and I act and dress accordingly. Most of my associates have no idea I even have tattoos.

What Billnbob failed to address is that I won't be working in a bank, I won't be trying to conduct business- I will be on a personal cruise! I can't imagine wearing formal business attire up to the wrists and down to my ankles on a Carribean cruise. I've also found that many professionals I know are also tattoo'd under their very formal business suits.

It just goes to show how very close minded and judgemental people can be and I hope I don't encounter many like the poster I am referring to on my cruise. And just to add a side note- I don't drink beer so I can't imagine why I would carry a bucket around with me. To all those of you who chose to be positive and not assume I was an alcoholic because I enjoy a couple of adult beverages- I thank you. :p

As far as the Hairy Chest contest it was fun to watch until some of the participants got really vulgar! I just leave if I'm not enjoying the show.

Vulgar? I never saw that; I must have been at the wrong show! ;)

I've also found that many professionals I know are also tattoo'd under their very formal business suits.
So true. I work in a very professional law firm, and I've seen some of those tattoos at happy hour. Several of us even have our belly buttons pierced. (I know, so classless.) :rolleyes:

Magenta, welcome to our board! You sound like a fun person, and I hope you have a great cruise. Have you checked out the Fantasy roll call board to see if anyone has posted that will be on your cruise?

I've also found that many professionals I know are also tattoo'd under their very formal business suits.

The point is that they cover them because they want to appear professional. People who deliberately present a bizarre appearance aren't looking for mainstream acceptance. But we do live in a free country.

I hope you're at my dinner table on a cruise! Hey, keep in mind that we old people were young in the 60s and 70s...I suspect some of us could surprise you (but don't tell my kids.. they're still too young to have any fun!). Appearances can be deceiving. My appearance as a professional with a doctorate is very "proper" (plus I had old-fashioned New England manners hammered into me 50+ years ago), but I respect people who are free enough to really enjoy themselves.

We love our Carnival cruises, and the variety of people we meet. My pet peeve is rude & pushy people, not tatooed or fluffy people -- and I intend to eat enough to be even fluffier myself when I roll off the ship at the end of our next cruise!!

My family and I will also cruise with you anytime.

I have 2 tats on my left and right ankles, 1 butterfly the other is Tinkerbelle, whenever we go to Disney and on my 2 cruises I have had most parents point out my Tink to their kids and they all think it is cool. DH has 1 tat. I also thought the hairy chest contest was a riot, nothing vulgar just funny....loved the new and not so newlywed game, the ball room dancing and disco dancing lessons. The old saying...variety is the spice of life. DH and I also own motorcycles...our "gang" consists of 4 friends who also have bikes but alas...no tats.....:eek:

My family also does alot of volunteer work for our local hockey association, cancer society and Sick Kids hospital.

I would hope people wouldn't judge a book by its cover, they would miss out on meeting alot of great and interesting people if they did that.

Kim

You sound exactly like the kind of fellow passanger I'd love to meet while cruising!! Just be yourself, use common courtesy, and you'll be fine. Last year was my first cruise and I noticed people from every walk of life. I mean after all the ship is like a small city. I have a couple of tatoos myself, however my DH and I don't drink. I think most people think that's the weirdest thing about us LOL !!! Other's lifestyles and preferences are A OK with us, and we are A OK with our own. I bet you'll have a wonderful time!!!!!!! Happy cruising~~~~~~~

All you have to do to fit in here is: Don't hog pool chairs, don't break into buffet lines sneezing, don't smoke on the non-smoking side, and most important just follow the ship's guidelines for dress especially on formal nights.

Welcome to the "Inked and Loving It" club - (proud member since 1994):D Not fully covered yet, but I think full sleeves on arms and legs count as "addicted". I've learned not to judge others, and taught my son the same, but I know they are out there with the comments and the stares - but those that have taken the time to stop and chat find that I'm a

respectful, intelligent person who likes to talk about his ink.

On our last cruise however I was a target in Progresso. The calls of "tattoo man" could be heard as we walked to the beach :o .

You can add one more colorful professional to your list. The company I work for has decided that my actions speak louder than my appearance so no hiding my pretty birdies and flowers at meetings.

So be proud of who you are, I know I am. ...And by the way...for those on the 4/1/06 Liberty...If your seated next to a short, stocky guy covered in tats, be sure to say hi.

Archived