NS v. Apex

Steelydad2021

Allow myself to introduce myself as Austin Powers said.  DW & I are late 50's, offspring sprung and just off the NS Carribee run from 3.4.23 to 3.11.23 which makes for the 9th cruise.  Watched the Apex pulled out and into Port Everglades min apart and since Apex was our last ocean voyage, the ships are roughly similar in size, age, passenger demographics & price point, just for smiles and giggles, some comparisons.

Naturally, YMMV

Entertainment - NS for the live music category w/ the sweet Music Walk concept, though as noted on these boards, it feels a tad close, dark and crowded.  Nonetheless, BB King All Star band is note perfect and can those cats play.   But whatever your taste in tunes - angular banjos sound good to me - Lincoln Center, Billboard & Rolling Stone are all fun w/ hard working entertainers.  So, if tunes be your thang, then let's all meet at the end of the street, take me where the music is and this is your ship.  More the big stage extravaganza on the Apex.

Food & drink - libations, sensations and usually high in the value prop

- Buffets: Apex Oceanview over Lido for variety, quality and layout with the 2 story window views

- Cafes: Cafe al Bacio over Dutch by more than an edge in all ways

- Luminae beats Club Orange in vittles, service, ambiance and menu

- Specialty: Apex again s/a/a

Common space: similar layouts but the NS pool cover might be better in colder climes otherwise Apex has a lighter, brighter look & feel but only the natural plantings keep the vibe from crossing into glitz

Close call and would not rule out the NS again especially for that Glacier Bay itinerary

Again YMMV so just saying

You are forgetting one huge difference; the NS doesn't have any of those ill-conceived and poorly designed Infinite View Balconies. I am one and done with the IV cabins so if a non-suite is what you want the HAL NS wins every time.

• Like 3

Good questions CNSJ and good point terrydtx

Service - generally a push, a wash, a tie and you might say serviceable - no real standouts good or bad just variations within the usual bell curve  ...

but will say this ...

on both ships it became clear very early to go with the waiters' nightly dish recommendation otherwise there were some real stinkers.  For example, the Club Orange prepared choice was consistently solid particularly the Peruvian chicken but recurring options on the menu were lukewarm and/or tasteless or both.  Forewarned = forearmed...the waiters know how to guide w/o actually being overtly critical of what is not good so its best to put your trust and let them choose IMHO.

Found following waiter recommendations on the preferred dish to be even more important on river cruises.  Seems most lines want to have menu choices just to have choices but it's not a good sign when the waiter says "oh we have not had anyone order that for a while."  Not a fan of sending food back and less so of having to do so.

Cabins - it was Vista v. Sky Suite but not sure how fair cabin comparisons are since guests have some control over the selection, location, size, price etc.  In any case sunsets and sunsets over infinite horizons look good from most balconies - this bright familiar sun - and high up on the ocean cruise value prop but yeah, seems many unhappy comments on the infinite verandahs.  Sometimes change for change sake is not needed.