Ocean Cay Bahama Breeze Escape Excursion - adults only??

Doggielover68

Hello, 

A few weeks ago, my family booked the Bahama Breeze Excursion and I don't recall there being an age minimum to participate. My cousin is 12 and his ticket was booked without issue. It was only today when reading the fine print that it says 21+. Has anyone taken this excursion and know for sure? Their website really needs work!

Edited by Doggielover68

• Doggielover68 changed the title to Ocean Cay Bahama Breeze Escape Excursion - adults only??

Doggie lover,

I just looked at this excursion under my upcoming booking. While it does include a free drink, there is nothing written about an age restriction. I think you’ll have to call MSC’s dreaded customer service line for clarification.

good luck

Hang on. If you look just to the left of the “Add To My Cruise” button you’ll see an information icon that says “Additional Notes”. The notes confirm that you must be 21 or over to participate. 

why wouldn’t they put that in the main description??????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HardToPort said:

Hang on. If you look just to the left of the “Add To My Cruise” button you’ll see an information icon that says “Additional Notes”. The notes confirm that you must be 21 or over to participate. 

That's what I'd like to know!!! The other day I tried calling to inquire about changing one of my other excursions and they weren't even able to tell me how many tickets they had available (since we are cruising with family we wanted to make sure that there were enough available for all). 

7 hours ago, HardToPort said:

Because it is MSC and their website is HORRIBLE. The only thing worse is calling Customer Service, which is likely to either be clueless or screw up the reservation. The best option is to just wait until you board and speak with the Shore Excursions desk to see if it is an issue. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HardToPort said:

Because the main description is just a general description of the excursion.  Just as  with anything thing else, one must do read the additional information that is always provided.

Any excursion on any cruise line I have cruised (and there have been many lines and cruises) will have a general description of the excursion and the specific restrictions or addition information elsewhere on the booking description.

43 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Because the main description is just a general description of the excursion.  Just as  with anything thing else, one must do read the additional information that is always provided.

Any excursion on any cruise line I have cruised (and there have been many lines and cruises) will have a general description of the excursion and the specific restrictions or addition information elsewhere on the booking description.

This excursion was previously called "Rum Rendezvous" and in the main description it specifically said something like "This adults-only getaway etc etc". I don't think I've seen a single adults only cruise line excursion on any of my 20 cruises. Deceptive marketing is what it is. An age restriction should be published clearly and obviously. 

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Because it is MSC and their website is HORRIBLE. The only thing worse is calling Customer Service, which is likely to either be clueless or screw up the reservation. The best option is to just wait until you board and speak with the Shore Excursions desk to see if it is an issue. 

You're right, I tried calling and it took them 15 minutes to find the excursion and another 10 minutes to find the hidden note with the age restriction. Their on-board policy is that you may cancel onboard for OBC provided that the excursion is at least 48 hours away. I board on Sunday and Ocean Day is Monday so I don't see that as being an option. They may very well make an exception at the shore excursions desk but without any written policy in advance, I guess I'll just have to cancel and wait 1-2 months for a refund. 

This is my first cruise with MSC. I'm sure the trip itself will be fine but so far, I'm not impressed. 

24 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

You're right, I tried calling and it took them 15 minutes to find the excursion and another 10 minutes to find the hidden note with the age restriction. Their on-board policy is that you may cancel onboard for OBC provided that the excursion is at least 48 hours away. I board on Sunday and Ocean Day is Monday so I don't see that as being an option. They may very well make an exception at the shore excursions desk but without any written policy in advance, I guess I'll just have to cancel and wait 1-2 months for a refund. 

This is my first cruise with MSC. I'm sure the trip itself will be fine but so far, I'm not impressed. 

You can always book once you board, if they allow less than age 21. The excursion may be more expensive onboard though. 

Don’t let the port pre-cruise experience deter you. Once onboard, I have found it to be very good. Ocean Cay is beautiful and a great beach day, even without an excursion.

46 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

This excursion was previously called "Rum Rendezvous" and in the main description it specifically said something like "This adults-only getaway etc etc". I don't think I've seen a single adults only cruise line excursion on any of my 20 cruises. 

You haven't cruised enough then.....

Yes, there are excursion on other cruise lines with restrictions for adults only.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

You can always book once you board, if they allow less than age 21. The excursion may be more expensive onboard though. 

Don’t let the port pre-cruise experience deter you. Once onboard, I have found it to be very good. Ocean Cay is beautiful and a great beach day, even without an excursion.

Thanks. That does make me feel better about the experience. I'm still looking forward to this trip. I wasn't originally planning on an excursion anyway but my family is cruising for the first time and wanted to go all out. Oh well! 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

I agree with you 100% that the short synopsis needs to be taken in conjunction with the fine print. (Here comes my “but”) … but any age restriction needs to front and centre. If you’re publishing an overview, any restrictions  ie age, fitness level etc should be up front. In bold. 20 pt font. Highlighted. Underlined. Maybe with sound effects.

• Thanks 1

Because I’m probably insane, I’m very much looking forward to my Divina cruise next month. But I’m travelling solo. As long as they don’t sink and I get fed, served drinks and am somewhat entertained I’m good.

but for larger groups, families, unfamiliar cruisers … all dealing with bookings, excursions, dining reservations and possibly higher expectations than MSC can meet … hoo boy.

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

Personally, I would not want an OBC and I would kick off over this. MSC sold you a product for passengers that are restricted from enjoying that product. MSC has all of the passenger info including the DOB’s of all concerned. 

so MSC, you know your guest is 16 but sold them an excursion that they are 5 years too young to enjoy. 

cruise excursions, bar sales, shopping profit margins are high. Like 50% margins over costs. So, if they refund the money as an onboard credit you may receive a $500 OBC but the true cost of the services you exchange that credit for is only $250. Big win for MSC.

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

Personally, I would not want an OBC and I would kick off over this. MSC sold you a product for passengers that are restricted from enjoying that product. MSC has all of the passenger info including the DOB’s of all concerned. 

so MSC, you know your guest is 16 but sold them an excursion that they are 5 years too young to enjoy. 

cruise excursions, bar sales, shopping profit margins are high. Like 50% margins over costs. So, if they refund the money as an onboard credit you may receive a $500 OBC but the true cost of the services you exchange that credit for is only $250. Big win for MSC.

The excursion in question is not a huge cost for us, (less than the cost of auto gratuities) so that's why I wouldn't mind the on board credit. If it exceeded that cost then I'd definitely prefer a refund. The biggest annoyance is that they sold the children's ticket at a reduced children's price, knowing that he was too young to participate. Very frustrating indeed!

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

I agree with you 100% that the short synopsis needs to be taken in conjunction with the fine print. (Here comes my “but”) … but any age restriction needs to front and centre. If you’re publishing an overview, any restrictions  ie age, fitness level etc should be up front. In bold. 20 pt font. Highlighted. Underlined. Maybe with sound effects.

Exactly. Myself and two other adults from our group completely missed that detail. Part of me still wonders if they've changed the excursion to allow children but MSC doesn't even know how many seats there are, what time the excursions are, etc. It's all very strange. I'm still going into this cruise with an open mind and I'm not generally one to nitpick the small things. I'm just used to cruise bookings being easier to manage online. 

Edited by Doggielover68
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

The excursion in question is not a huge cost for us, (less than the cost of auto gratuities) so that's why I wouldn't mind the on board credit. If it exceeded that cost then I'd definitely prefer a refund. The biggest annoyance is that they sold the children's ticket at a reduced children's price, knowing that he was too young to participate. Very frustrating indeed!

They have a child’s price for an excursion that specifically excludes children?

Well done, MSC. Well done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 10:59 PM, Doggielover68 said:

Hello, 

A few weeks ago, my family booked the Bahama Breeze Excursion and I don't recall there being an age minimum to participate. My cousin is 12 and his ticket was booked without issue. It was only today when reading the fine print that it says 21+. Has anyone taken this excursion and know for sure? Their website really needs work!

I just did the same thing, I didn't realize it was 21+ until the confirmation email, did they enforce the 21+ rule or was your cousin able to go?

On 3/15/2023 at 10:59 PM, Doggielover68 said:

Hello, 

If you got a ticket so you will have no problem. Most probably your 21 +note means adult must be with child on excursion but because its a translation from Italian it came wrong way.