US Legal Resident Documents Question - Royal Caribbean Galveston

Fballguy

Hello...In July we are taking my 87 year old mother in law on her first cruise and she is extremely excited.  We obviously want the vacation to go off without a hitch and I have a question about her travel documents as she is a legal resident (Green Card) and not a U.S. resident (Mexican Passport).  These two documents do not match exactly.  

Her Mexican passport matches her birth certificate, which has her first name (Maria) abbreviated as "MA", her middle name completely spelled out and has her maiden name along with her mothers maiden name.

Her Green Card has her first name spelled out "Maria", her middle name abbreviated "G." and includes her maiden and married name.

Right now her ticket matches her green card.

Will we have a problem boarding? 

Thank you!

As I understand it she only needs to show her green card to check in, it is acceptable for use on a closed loop cruise. Both documents have her picture on it as well. If a country on the itinerary needs to see her passport it would need to be presented at check in to show she has it. I would say call the cruise line to be sure, but the customer service reps only follow a script that probably won't be helpful. 

• Like 1

As someone who checks in passengers for Alaska bound passengers I would tell you to have your mother present her Green Card as her travel ID. It would be a good idea to her Mexican passport available, but do just present the Green Card, and wait to see if she is asked for a passport as well.

As for the multiple names, check-in agents are well versed in doing "name edits" for our guests from south of the border.  Many of these guests have more than one first and last names, and we have the ability to over-ride the system to accommodate this.  (Similar to some Indonesians who only have a single name) 

• Like 1