There's this and then there's that

millybess

We are also on the Sea now   Yes we also have frayed arms on our chairs,  Everything is fine in the cabin, stewards are great. Bar staff know us well and do not ask for our room number. Sorry we missed the CC get together as we had early dinner reservations that evening. Have met some fantastic and interesting people.

Food in Manfredis and Chef table have been exceptional. All staff have been fabulous Had an inedible lobster in the dining room, burnt, but that doesn’t detract from our vacation. Wines on the SS package are not up to our standards and commented that on the first questionnaire. Head sommelier found us at Mamsons to hear our concerns. I was impressed. When your paying a steep price to upgrade, $10.00 to 15.00 bottles of wine are not acceptable.  I have found wines (not listed) after suggestions from wine steward, which have been very good. They say u can buy a glass up to $18.00, but everything is $8.00 other than a champagne. We suggested serving the more expensive wines and change $10-15 per glass.  
Miss the port of Madeira, as we have lost one engine, so the ship can’t go fast as needed to make that port.  So another sea day.  All in all, having a wonderful time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

We missed Funchal on our Neptune trans-Atlantic in December. Gran Canaria was the substitution. I wish more Viking trans-Atlantic itineraries would call at Ponta Delgada instead of Funchal. 

Any substitution at all would have been welcome I think.  We just  got another sea day on the Sea.

1 minute ago, Messybill said:

Any substitution at all would have been welcome I think.  We just  got another sea day on the Sea.

That's what happened to us last March on the same transatlantic as yours. We missed Funchal and didn't get a substituted port. So we learned the hard way that the Atlantic Ocean is a big pond, with lots of consecutive sea days between San Juan and Cadiz, Spain.

8 hours ago, ebtrip said:

Miss the port of Madeira, as we have lost one engine, so the ship can’t go fast as needed to make that port.

Hope they get  the engine repairs ASAP!    

Lots of full  upcoming cruises on the Viking Jupiter. 

Re: Tea Time
Reminds me of the start of our Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise on the Orion in Nov. 2019. We went for high tea at the grand hotel The Peninsula in Kowloon on Salisbury Road. Cost us $100 but it was hubby’s “revenge” for having been kicked out on his first visit in 1983 after having hiked up to Victoria peak in shorts and arriving at the tea room a bit hot and sweaty! I guess they say that revenge will cost you and it did us—but was quite enjoyable. Needless to say, our tea time was included on the rest of the cruise! 😎

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 2:03 PM, LindaS272 said:

Re: Tea Time
Reminds me of the start of our Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise on the Orion in Nov. 2019. We went for high tea at the grand hotel The Peninsula in Kowloon on Salisbury Road. Cost us $100 but it was hubby’s “revenge” for having been kicked out on his first visit in 1983 after having hiked up to Victoria peak in shorts and arriving at the tea room a bit hot and sweaty! I guess they say that revenge will cost you and it did us—but was quite enjoyable. Needless to say, our tea time was included on the rest of the cruise! 😎

The Peninsula was the first place I ever had afternoon tea. Very grand indeed. 

My friend and I later went to afternoon tea at the Mandarin hotel, also in Hong Kong, and made complete asses of ourselves when one of our (many) desserts fell off our little mezzanine table — and down into the lobby one floor below. Unfortunately the earth didn’t open up and swallow us right there and then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3