Why upper deck inside cabins are more expensive?

yellow-submarine

Not complaining or anything I am just simply wondering, trying to understand what is the reason why the upper deck inside cabins are more expensive? It makes sense for balcony cabins but not really for inside. Sure the sundeck is closer which I don't think matters much when use the elevator. On the other hand MDR, buffets, promenade (sea class), and a bunch of other amenities are closer to deck 5. And probably the best perk: it is quick to debark from that level, and easy embarkation-debarkation if you prefer to handle your own luggage. Also it closer to the center of gravity of the ship giving less motion sickness. To me it seems like the lower deck inside cabins have more benefits. What am I missing?

You are not missing anything.

There are many people who think a cabin on an upper deck is more desirable and would not consider the lower decks. 

They are willing to pay more to be in the least desirable locations of the ship - high, forward or aft.

Unfortunately, there are cruise lines who have figured out that inside cabins that are low and amidships are valuable real estate and have increased the fares for those cabins.

• Like 1

For people prone to seasickness, low and mid is the way to go.

I really never understood why "high up and forward" is the most expensive.....even for a balcony, especially for an inside.

We did an Ocean View on Carnival Magic...I think it was Deck 1, mid ship.  The cabin was huge (by cabin standards) and we loved "being in the waves".  You could barely feel the ship move.  And, as a bonus, the cost was really low as compared to a balcony.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, yellow-submarine said:

If they want to do upsale for inside cabins than maybe the cabins further away from the lifts...

We are in the YC on msc meraviglia right now...deck 16 all the way forward.  There was a horrible storm yesterday.  Oy...give me steerage , low deck, mid ship. OTOH...dh liked "the ride".

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

For people prone to seasickness, low and mid is the way to go.

I really never understood why "high up and forward" is the most expensive.....even for a balcony, especially for an inside.

We did an Ocean View on Carnival Magic...I think it was Deck 1, mid ship.  The cabin was huge (by cabin standards) and we loved "being in the waves".  You could barely feel the ship move.  And, as a bonus, the cost was really low as compared to a balcony.  

That is one of my favorite locations too- so easy to get off and then back to your cabin for ports.

But for many people high cabins are near "where the action happens". They want to be up by the buffet and outside decks.   Clearly, if there was a lot of demand for deck 1, cruise companies would price them higher.