Princess Upgrade Website...Not Affiliated With Princess?

Shawn5

So I get this email from Princess asking if I want to upgrade, and the disclaimer says:

"By clicking the Get Upgraded link, you will navigate to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess Cruises or any of its affiliates."

How is it possible that Princess is not affiliated with this website?

How did this 3rd party website get my name, booking number, cabin info, etc., if not from Princess?

Why would Princess want to distance itself from this website and the upgrade/bidding process? 

Just curious.

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 16.41.22 PM.png

51 minutes ago, Shawn5 said:

So I get this email from Princess asking if I want to upgrade, and the disclaimer says:

"By clicking the Get Upgraded link, you will navigate to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess Cruises or any of its affiliates."

How did this 3rd party website get my name, booking number, cabin info, etc., if not from Princess?

Why would Princess want to distance itself from this website and the upgrade/bidding process? 

Just curious.

There is another company that runs the upgrade process (handles the bidding system for Princess). I am pretty sure that the other cruise lines that also have a upgrade bidding process also have a third party (maybe the same one) running the upgrade system.

Basically Princess pays them to maximize the revenue from the upgrade process.

Edited by ldtr

They outsourced it basically.  I have no problem with it and currently have 2 bids pending.  
There is also a link in your booking so you can see if you qualify for an upgrade on your cruise. 

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Shawn5 said:

Just curious.

I think you interpreted that wrong. They are affiliated with Princess, since they are handling their bidding. They are just not owned, operated or controlled by them. 

Princess outsources the Bid to Upgrade program to a Canadian company, Plusgrade.  Many airlines use their software and algorithms for cabin class upgrades on flights.  It's kind of like eBay where Plusgrade is in charge of the auction process, but not for collecting payments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shawn5 said:

They didn't.  The third party gets your information only after you initiate the process by navigating to the third party website.  Princess is the one notifying you of your opportunity to bid for an upgrade.  The third party merely acts as the "auctioneer".  

• Like 3