Sailing in 94 days which MDR - Discovery

Taykee1

I have been looking to book our dinner times via the app. It only shows 2 choices, Skagway and Ketchikan. Not sure why Juneau MDR isn't on the app. I know they all have the same food. is there a preference I should be picking over the 2 showing or are they much the same just in different areas of the ship.  Our room is closer to the bow of the ship and walking the length of the ship isn't an issue for us. Just curious for others opinions on which MDR is your preference. It's just for myself and hubby, we would prefer to book a table for 2 for evening meals. Also if I book in a time now is this able to be changed to other times of MDR's. Thanks for any help/opinions. 

Just now, Taykee1 said:

I have been looking to book our dinner times via the app. It only shows 2 choices, Skagway and Ketchikan. Not sure why Juneau MDR isn't on the app. I know they all have the same food. is there a preference I should be picking over the 2 showing or are they much the same just in different areas of the ship.  Our room is closer to the bow of the ship and walking the length of the ship isn't an issue for us. Just curious for others opinions on which MDR is your preference. It's just for myself and hubby, we would prefer to book a table for 2 for evening meals. Also if I book in a time now is this able to be changed to other times of MDR's. Thanks for any help/opinions. 

We always elect one of the two mid-ship DR's.  But we also are never or rarely in an aft section cabin.

I don't have insight to all ships on this, but I have seen a trend to only open up two DR's for advance bookings.  The one missing will be the other mid-ship DR and should be the one with Club Class Dining section.  My thinking has been they were keeping one DR out to cover for walk-ups and/or on-board last-minute or day-of  reservations.  I believe this plan makes it easier for the DR Mgmt team to setup tables for guests asking for same location and same waiters (a.k.a. TD-like experience). 

• Like 1

We haven't sailed yet so my assumptions can be wrong, but we reserved Ketchikan every night. Our stateroom is midship (actually right by the midship elevators) so technically Juneau and Skagway will be more convenient, but since we are sailing Alaska and it will have so many amazing sights we really want a window seat to watch the landscape (and look for whales!) as we dine. Since Ketchikan is in the back, it should have the side windows and the back windows, so hopefully that means more potential window seats. Who knows, this strategy may totally not work out for us, but we'll see!

• Like 2

I have sailed on Discovery twice. Juneau wasn’t available for reservations both times - mostly for walk ins. I found both Juneau and Skagway tend to be noisy at peak dining time and Ketchikan a little ‘calmer’.  If you eat after 7:20 ish pm it’ll be much nicer dining experience . 

During my last cruise it was hard to change dining time if you want between  6-7 pm. One night we waited about 20 minutes at Juneau in order to dine earlier than our original reserved time. Host will give you a buzzer

• Like 2