Is cruising with an infant worth it? (Jewel)

whineconnoiseur

We have the Jewel on hold, and I just can't make up my mind. I'm hoping you guys will share your experiences.

Pre-baby (who is a very sweet and adaptable 7 mo old), we loved to cruise. But the thing we did most every day was lay in the sun and read books, which we can't do for long with the baby. Also, our son is obviously not potty trained so he is not allowed in the pools. What else will we do all day on sea days? We will have a balcony room, so that will help...

I feel ok about taking him to the main dining room, but not sure if it is appropriate to take him to the up charge restaurants at 5:30 or 6? thoughts? what are our other food options on the Jewel for casual dining?

On port days, we mostly enjoy shopping and exploring the towns, not so much excursions (we've done most of them). So I think that part will be ok.

Any words of wisdom to help me make up my mind?

You sound so very doubtful. We started taking our twins when they were 6.I I would never take a infant, unless I had extended family to help. But, thats me. I am sure there is another posters that can offer their views with taking infants.

I have to agree with maurick. Our youngest was 6 when we took them on their first cruise. We were with family and even then it was a challenge some days/nights.

You say that your son is 7 months old now. I would at least wait until he is 2 and can at least participate in the kids crew. I think all of you would enjoy it more that way....he will love the kids crew and the adults can have some fun too. I know that you probably really want to go on a cruise but with him being so young you won't have the same relaxing experience as in the past.

We're sailing in a week with our 10-month-old daughter. There are a lot of threads under 'family cruises' with info on how people successfully cruised with their babies. While I agree that it would be nicer if your child was old enough to use the kids' program; if you wait until then you may have another baby by then or one on the way. Then you wouldn't cruise for years! I say go for it, just alter your expectations!

With a balcony, you can lounge outside while baby naps & what could be better than having someone prepare & clean up after all your meals!? I'll be back in 2 weeks to post how things went on our cruise...

Our daughter is 5 and will be going on her 6th cruise next week. She cruised at 4 months (Carnival Inspiration), 7 months (NCL Wind), 11 months (Norway), 18 months (NCL Sky). We didn't think it was any big deal. To us, it was basically 8 saturdays in a row. It was similar to the types of things we do with our kids on saturdays in the summer such as go to the pool or park, eat dinner out, etc. Being on a cruise was not much different. One big difference was that they obviously can't be in the sun all day so it did mean less time in the sun. However, my wife and I took turns sitting in the shady area where we could still hear the music by the pool while the other sat in the sun. On the Wind, by the back pool, they had tables with umbrellas so when it was nap time, she slept on a blanket under the table in the shade while we sat in the sun. Another big difference was at night. One of us usually had to take the early to bed shift but with a balcony and DVD players in the rooms, you will have more options when the baby goes to sleep. On the islands, we took a smaller umbrella type stroller with a top that flips up and she rode around in it. She would fall asleep and still be fine in the stroller. One BIG advantage in my opinion is that you will be waited on very attentively. On her 4 month cruise, the waiter at dinner cut my steak or chicken into bites because I would be holding her on my shoulder usually asleep. In general, I wouldn't hesitate to take my kids. This will be my son's 1st cruise, he's 15 months, but now my daughter is old enough to go to and enjoy the kid's camp. Hope this info helps. Feel free to email me at ceb2652@bellsouth.net if you have more questions.

Chad.

I think the most important thing to remember: if you decide to cruise wiht him your cruising experience will be very different. You will have to have some sort of a play pen so you can still enjoy your sun time while he is busy playing or resting. You can grab chairs near the overhangs so he will be out of the sun. As for meals and night life, forget it: there is no way you can enjoy the specialty restaurants, nor would it be fair to the others who are looking for a relaxed, 2 hour meal in a rather adult atmosphere. As for main dining, you will not be the only ones cruising with an infant. You are corect, he can not enjoy the pool until he is potty trained. Port days will need to be short as he will get tired and the afternoons you will have to take turns in the cabin while he naps; mornings as well.

As a TA if you were to come to me and ask my advise: I would say, better to find someone who would love to watch him for a week while the two of you get away. I know others have traveled with infants, have loved every minute, but I have also seen many come on these boards and admit, they would not do it again. If you are willing to give up the type of cruising you have experienced in the past you may have a great time: just don't expect the same cruise life. NMnita

Is it worth it? Yes! We did it twice -- son was 11 months old on first cruise, and 20 months old on second (and not yet walking).

It's very true that you will have to view cruising differently and make some changes to your usual onboard routines. I agree with the suggestions to check out the Family Cruising boards. Babies are welcomed into the main dining room, but I would hesitate to bring one so young into the pay restaurants. (In fact, we don't even do that with our 12-year-old yet.)

One idea for the pool is to bring your own inflatable one, and ask a crew member to help you fill it. Let baby play in it, and then -- and this is the most important part -- ask a crew member to empty it, as it cannot be emptied into the regular pools.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

We just got back from cruising on the Spirit with a 3 year old and a 21 month old. Since he was too young to do the kids club, we took the little one with us everywhere. He loved looking around at all of the people. In the diningroom we kept him content with lots of cookies and crackers. We took him to the shows in his pajamas. Definitely bring a stroller. It was so nice to push him around the ship. Even on the decks he would sit and watch the people while I got some reading in... The Spirit had a baby pool and the employee watching over the pool area directed us to it without any hesitation. After watching a 10 year old use it as a bathroom facility we "high tailed it" out of there and he used the big kids pool without anyone caring!!! Throughout the week, my husband and I would split up and take turns watching him, which I highly recommend. I couldn't believe how kid-friendly ncl is, there were over 300 kids on board (they said the week before was over 800!) Obviously our expectations were different than our pre-child days but it was definitely one of the best vacations that we ever had.

I sailed on the Jewel in November......I took my then 3 1/2 year old with us and left my 11 month old baby at home. Honestly.....I couldn't see dragging all of the baby stuff with us. It was a teriffic time- my son spent most of his time at the kids club- which gave me and dh our time together. My baby stayed with grandma and grandpa...and was spoiled rotten. I think he had much more fun staying home.

You have to do what you feel is right..........either way...have a great cruise!

We have been on two cruises, once with a 1-year old and once with a 2-year old. Both times we had a wonderful time, but we brought a babysitter. The first time it was a grandma, the second time it was a 15-year-old cousin. Personally I don't think I would consider going on a cruise without someone to watch the baby. The drawback with the babysitter was no intimacy in the cabin (we were 4 in one cabin) and of course the expense, but the 3/4th person rate is not so bad. If you can handle the fact that it's not going to be a *romantic* cruise, then I would seriously consider bringing someone along to watch the baby, to allow you to go out to a romantic dinner, or to a show, or to visit the spa. That would possibly allow you more romantic time together than if it was just two of you plus the baby in the cabin. Just not in the cabin. ;o)

We took the entire group on some excursions and for others we left the baby with the babysitter on the ship and we went on excursions by ourselves. Some evenings we dined as a 4some and some as a twosome. We also sometimes took the baby with us and gave the babysitter some time to him/her self.

There was also something to be said for the pleasure we got out of being able to bring grandma and cousin - neither had ever travelled before and were ecstatic at the opportunity to join us, even if it meant babysitting and sitting out on some things. It was fun for us to be able to do it.

Take grampa or granma with you.It's worth the extra cost.My fatherinlaw goes with us and while he isn't watching them everyminute he;s there when we want to go to dinner by ourselves a couple of nights.If there not available try a neice or nephew.Most will gladly go on a cruise for a couple of nights babysitting.Good Luck

Yes it's worth it. We started our kids going on cruises as young as 7 months old, 5 cruises later, they still love it. We are booked again.

Like some other posters said, there are lots of threads here about infants booked on cruises. And what you need to take with you, ways to make it easier, etc.

We love to cruise with our kids and wouldn't have it any other way. :D

One idea for the pool is to bring your own inflatable one, and ask a crew member to help you fill it. Let baby play in it, and then -- and this is the most important part -- ask a crew member to empty it, as it cannot be emptied into the regular pools.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

I would never think to ask a crew member to do something like this.

I did not start traveling with my daughter until she was 7. I thought that this was a more appropriate age.

Infant - Yes

We took our 9 m.o. on a cruise and it was great. We had to come back and let her nap every day but just brought a DVD player and watched movies. I second the portable pool idea. She was great and we just put her in a backpack carrier when we went on excursions

Toddler - No

Just got back from a cruise with our 24 month and she was twenty times harder than the baby we took that was not mobile.

That's just my opinion....everyone is different. And every CHILD is different and has a different temperment. The above children were sisters, I think our older one would have also done fine at 24 months. For us, under a year was easy to travel with.

We have some experience with this as well. We have cruised with our DS when he was 4 months old and again last week when he was 13 months old. We have already booked another one where he will be 18 months old.

The first one was on Disney which worked out very well. He went to Flounders Nursery on several occasions and had alone couple time. Since he was so tiny he couldn't crawl or get into any trouble! :)

We went to the dining room every night with ease.

The one last week was on Celebrity. It also went well. We didn't have baby sitting so he was with us 24/7 but some of that time he was sleeping so we still got some alone time.

The main thing is still be very mindful of the heat and the sun.

It is definitely a very different cruise than without the baby but....I am a working mother. The last thing I want during my precious free time is be seperated from my cherished baby. So IMHO it is a delight and very well worth the adjustments and occasional hassle/stress of having him along.

By the way, his big sister comes along too but she is old enough for the kids clubs.

Go for it...just don't have the same expectations. We first cruised with our daughter when she was 15 months old. We had a LOT of family on so they could help out but still, it was mostly my DH and I doing the work. Like you, on previous cruises, all I did was lay in the sun and read books...my suitcase was bathing suits and books. Now, I take one suit and one book. We just got back with our now 2yo and had a blast. BUT, it's work. Having a balcony is great because you can get your sun and read while they're napping in the room. I did this every day. Otherwise my DH and I would take turns with her. Our 2yo is potty trained so she could use the pool this time around. Last year we didn't take her in the pools (brought a blow up one for our balcony) but I will say that every ship I've been on, there have been TONS of diapered kids in the pool. I'm not saying it's OK, but just wanted to let you know that many people don't follow the rules. When DD wasn't potty trained, I just let her put her feet in the shallow area around the pool where the water would splash up. That seemed to be just enough for her anyway. In ports, we just walked around town. Simple.

Dinner can be tough because it's such a long meal. DH and I would take turns with our other family members walking her around if she got fussy. This trip we did eat in one of the specialty restaurants. We had early reservations and other than one other party, we were the only ones in there. It shouldn't be a problem but I did take my DD out when she was getting fussy.

Archived