Bringing a guitar on Carnival Conquest?

albean99

I think this may be a rule that is enforced as needed by Carnival. So far, everyone has said that carnival has not enforced the "no guitar" rule, but also stated that they enjoyed the music which was being played.

Now, look at the flip side, lets say you are in an empty lounge, trying to enjoy a book, a board game, or another quiet hobby. Then someone comes in and starts playing the guitar - horribly. They are loud, and unable to keep a tune. Personally, I probably wouldn't say anything, and would just go to another room. However, lets say a bunch of people are doing this with a guitar, and I can't find a place to relax on the boat. Then what?

Also, someone stated earlier that a neighbor played the violin, and played very well, although it could be heard even with the doors closed and the TV on. Reverse that scenario - pretend you just came back from a great but extremely tiring shore excursion. It is early afternoon, and you are exhausted from the heat, and want to take a nap. What if your neighbor played the violin - and was loud & TERRIBLE! :eek: At this point, Carnival would have the opportunity to kindly inform the musician that instruments are not to be played on the ship unless there is some type of performance going on. Also, I personally get severe migraines. I absolutely cannot tolerate violin music, no matter how well it is played (instant migraine! - picture drill entering temples on sides of head:mad: )I think this is the best way to handle this rule, enforcing it as necessary. There is no need to take away the enjoyment of musician and the guests if they are all enjoying themselves, however, this rule gives them the opportunity to squash a potentially nuscence.

Personally... I wouldn't want to pay money to go on a cruise, and have to listen to cutesy little John play his guitar...

May be cute to friends and relatives... but not to paying passengers who don't want to listen to it.

Should we put that in the same category as diapers in the pools and spas...?

There are usually some empty lounges during the day where it may be OK to play an instrument quietly. However, I don't think I would want to hear it from the next cabin. Let's hope no one wants to bring their trumpet!

The problem with enforcing a rule "as needed" is that it can be considered discriminatory. If you enforce a rule some of the time, for some people, then a large company like Carnival has real problems on their hands. I say the rule should be enforced all the time, because what is considered good music to others is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Even though the music on the lido deck is sometimes cheesy, I just don't want multiple people on deck strumming their guitars, playing the violins or whatever. Most people are too polite to say anything and will just move. I was in one of the quiet areas where during the night a piano is played. Well, as I'm sitting there reading my book and looking out over the water, three teen girls came up, took the cover off the piano and started playing (this was during the day). After the first little number I asked them to quit because I saw it was going to be neverending. Again, they left in a huff, but I just didn't want to hear the racket, hence I wasn't on the lido deck.

I remember as a child, we camped in a national forest. At daybreak I heard the most beautiful flute music I had ever heard in my life, echoing from the mountains. There was a concert musician playing in the tent next to us. I will always remember that day as one of the most beatiful experiences of my life.

I'm sure it was probably against the "rules" to play an instrument in the park, but no one seemed to complain. I'm glad they didn't.

I think the appropriate place to sit quietly and read would be your cabin, or possibly the library. If you are on the Lido by the main pool, you aill have a lot of noise anyway, unless you are there really early or late in the day.

People making joyful noises is a wonderful thing, and part of being human. Some people though, just don't like music in general, good or bad.

As it stands, Carnival doens't strictly enforce their musical instrument rule, at least for accoustic guitars. Its their rule and they can enforce it how ever they like.

JMHO

Archived