Looking for advice re a daytrip from Rome to Venice

tusconcam

Hi there. On an upcoming Med cruise in May, we are staying in Rome for 2 days/ nights there.

Despite the great variety/history/beauty of the sites in Rome, we were quasi thinking of taking a High speed train to Venice 

We don't want to come back too late that day to feel rushed as we fly back home the next day.

Has anyone toyed with this idea or done it?

Advice and ideas/suggestions are all very much appreciated. 

Thnx 

Can I first of all suggest you online research  the distance between these two cities, also how long  train journeys and possibly even flights might take to get you to the start of this "day trip to Venice"

I think it is around 4 hours each way, possibly faster by high speed train, but would it be worth all that travel time for the very short time you would have in Venice, especially as you say We don't want to come back too late that day. 

If timings are  between 3 and 4 hours each way, you would arrive at Venice train station( or (airport) then to get you back to Rome "not too late". probably have to go to the platform for the return train to Rome without ever leaving Venice train station.

IMHO I think your time would be better spent either in Rome itself or on a full or half day trip outside of the city to a location which is much closer than Venice, although others may have a different opinion.

Side trips might include  Ostia Antica or Tivoli palace and gardens although there are others.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

I've done a day trip from Rome to Florence on the train, which is about half the distance as Venice. Lots to do in Florence and most things are walkable from the train station. Venice would be too far for a day trip for me.

• Like 3

Eight hours is a lot of time on a train for a one day visit.

Between Trenitalia and Italotreno there is at least one train every hour in each direction.  The earliest departure from Rome is 5:35 on Trenitalia, the latest return from Venice is 19:26, also on Trenitalia.

IT - Trenitalia

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

• Like 1