Celebrity Silhouette 10 Night Eastern Caribbean Photo Review - March 13, 2023

Marvy Mare

DAY 2 -Saturday (cont.)

Jim_Iain (who spells his name like my Dad's -Iain) asked about what kind of camera I use earlier. I have a DSLR - a Nikon D500, that I use for most of my photography. I travel with 3 lenses usually, though it would be fun to have my super zoom 200-500 lens with me. It's just too heavy for travel. I brought my tripod too, but didn't use it. I used hight ISO and tried to correct it post. My other camera (definitely a work in progress) is my iPhone 14. I don't use the camera often, so I'm not too competent with it.

Back to our hotel arrival. It was very busy and loud in the lobby when we got there. The good news was that we were able to check in early. Our 'room' was available. Not the one I thought we booked though. Having never been to Miami before, we decided that we wanted to be right down by the bay. We watched many YouTube videos and read a number or reviews before we made our choice. The Intercontinental was expensive but the view from the upper floors on the Bayside was priceless. As Maria processed our reservation she mentioned that we had a beautiful room with a 'partial Bayside View'. I had phoned a week before just to confirm our reservations because we made them so long ago. I didn't think to ask if it still was a Bayside room. When she said partial bayside I asked if we could wait then for our room to be available. Nope. It wouldn't be. "Fully booked". I was upset. But we were on vacation. They did their best, and it wasn't Maria's fault. They gave us  2 drink tickets and two free breakfasts, but our view was only partial. 

_DSC5484

And it was raining, but there was a rainbow. 

We did have some difficulty with the elevator too. 

_DSC5500

We didn't read the little sign about tapping your key card and tried a few elevators before we figured it our. (lol)

More later. Trying to book a late summer campsite this morning. 

• Like 4

Thanks so much for the lovely pictures and review. I was on the same cruise January-February and also stayed at the InterContinental. Beautiful hotel but the entrance is indeed tricky. And the ramp isn’t much help. It’s steep and difficult to use.

I like the idea of flying into Fort Lauderdale instead of dealing with the Miami airport.

I just love Silhouette! Repeating this cruise next February and will be on the westbound TA in November 2024.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marvy Mare said:

Mary Beth

Lucky you. We love the Silhouette too. Sadly by 2025 the Silhouette will only be 3 & 4 day cruises when in the Caribbean. 

Maris

Do you have a schedule of ships in the Caribbean for 2024/5?  Seems odd the Silhouette will only do 3-4 cruises....will they extend the E class ships nights at sea and cut back on S class?

16 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Do you have a schedule of ships in the Caribbean for 2024/5?  Seems odd the Silhouette will only do 3-4 cruises....will they extend the E class ships nights at sea and cut back on S class?

Scan.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Marvy Mare said:

Scan.jpeg

thank you!  Would really like to see the rest of that schedule as it applies to the other S class ships to plan 2024-5 cruising in the Caribbean.  Hopefully there's more options particularly 10-14 nights.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvy Mare said:

Mary Beth

Lucky you. We love the Silhouette too. Sadly by 2025 the Silhouette will only be 3 & 4 day cruises when in the Caribbean. 

Maris

They’re messing with my ship! The nerve! Wanted to add a 10 day onto my crossing, but the following cruise is the aforesaid 3 days. Guess I’ll eventually have to find a new Caribbean ship. So far not interested in Edge class. Sigh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marvy Mare said:

I will try that right now. 

Scan 1.jpeg

Scan 2.jpeg

Scan 4.jpeg

Thx again....but...this really changes our direction for 2024.  Only options seem to be Eclipse, Constellation, and possibly Reflection....which we've done more times than enough.  Will probably have to research another cruise line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marvy Mare said:

Maybe we can protest. I don’t understand the direction that Celebrity is going in. Trying to attract a younger crowd maybe. But I think they go for the big fun ships. 

Maris

Even if they DO choose the E class..maybe they'd want longer cruises?  Even B2B 7 day are repeat destinations.

• Like 1

DAY 2 - Saturday, March 11(cont.)

We did find out why the hotel was so booked. Not just because of March Break. We are not really sports fans. I do love watching the Olympics, but that's about it. There was something called the World Baseball Classic happening in Miami. At least 2 teams Israel and Puerto Rico and all their entourage were staying at the Intercontinental. Venezuela and Nicaragua were also in Miami and possibly at our hotel. It was the Miami headquarters for the event. All the players and their families were quite pleasant and we had a quiet stay, but that first night, we couldn't get near the bar or the dining room. 

_DSC5457

It was a nice area for walking around. We couldn't see the cruise ships from our room but just outside the hotel they were in view!

_DSC5458

_DSC5467

This ship is parked right outside the hotel permanently as a wedding venue. Sadly, there was a shower in the evening and the guests had to run for cover. 

_DSC5463

_DSC5472

• Like 2

DAY 2 (Saturday March 11 cont.)

_DSC5473

The greenspace is a large park right next to the hotel (Bayfront Park). Another disappointment; the park was closed due to preparation for a music festival the next weekend. To get to the Bayside Marketplace, rather than walking along the waterfront, we had to walk back along the road.  

_DSC5471

We did walk to Bayside Marketplace. Saturday afternoon in March in Florida - of course it was crowded. There were all kinds of outside venues to get food and beverages, but nowhere to sit. Ken stopped to ask someone directions. I had been practicing Spanish. Duolingo was so fun to use. But I'm rather shy. Ken would attempt a second language. Anyway, the person he asked 'Yo no hablo ingles'. I missed my opportunity to test my knowledge. I've got a couple more years to practice before we travel again. 

We headed back to the hotel. One thing about a vacation for me is that I give my Fitbit a real work out. Around 20,000 steps every day. Ken did amazingly well, considering he is scheduled for a hip replacement in a few weeks. What a guy! Since the hotel lobby was still very busy, we settled for a sandwich from Starbucks for dinner. It was great! Maybe just because we were so hungry. 

We were asleep early. It had been a long day. I woke up at 11pm to the sound of explosions. Turns out it was the regular Saturday evening fireworks in the park (even when closed). I got up to watch the refections on condo towers behind us.

IMG_2548

The Intercontinental pool area and the condo across the way.

IMG_2549

Our city view. 

Back to bed. It was a fairly quiet night other than the fireworks. I heard a bit of noise in the hall around 11:30 and that was it. Sunday was going to be a day of exploring and we set our clocks forward. The time change always confuses me. I do prefer Standard Time as we are up so early in the morning.

• Like 3

DAY 3 - Sunday March 12

Miami

I didn't record the time I was up on the Sunday morning, probably around 5 and it felt like 4.  Our room had espresso machine and I could wait for my regular Americano. I decided to head out to get some hotel photos while it was quiet. The Starbucks opened at 6am and I had about an hour to wait.

_DSC5487

My version of a selfie.

_DSC5490

_DSC5491

_DSC5494

_DSC5502

Our bathroom and another selfie. 

_DSC5504

_DSC5505

_DSC5506

I should have taken pictures when we first got into our room and it wasn't messed up. Next time. 

_DSC5507

_DSC5510

Until later. The dogs are ready to get out for their walk. It's still dark though. 5:45am here in Ontario. We are trying to book a late summer campsite as well this morning at 7am. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, raudacruise said:

They’re messing with my ship! The nerve! Wanted to add a 10 day onto my crossing, but the following cruise is the aforesaid 3 days. Guess I’ll eventually have to find a new Caribbean ship. So far not interested in Edge class. Sigh.

We also love the reflection and Silhouette.  But give the apex and other edge class ships  a try.  We really loved it.  So many positives.  Truly a great ship.  It is bigger, but well laid out and the pool deck and multiple dining rooms are great.  I do not suggest an infinite veranda, but if not a suite, an aft balcony wonderful.   Try it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We also love the reflection and Silhouette.  But give the apex and other edge class ships  a try.  We really loved it.  So many positives.  Truly a great ship.  It is bigger, but well laid out and the pool deck and multiple dining rooms are great.  I do not suggest an infinite veranda, but if not a suite, an aft balcony wonderful.   Try it!

We have booked a future cruise on an E class ship. We didn't choose the ship, the itinerary chose us. Unfortunately, aft balcony cabins are in demand and there is a wait list for them for our cruise almost 2 years in the future. If a lottery win comes our way before then, we'll book a suite. What does it tell you about real balconies, that if you pay more money, you get one? I just don't understand why Celebrity went with those infinite balconies. 

Maris

• Like 1

DAY 3, Sunday March 12

Miami 

We had Starbucks coffee and then Starbucks breakfast. We didn't realize that our free breakfast also included Starbucks, so we were told that we could be reimbursed. I forgot to follow up on that. Oh well.

After breakfast, we headed out to see the sunrise. A young couple was standing near us by the break wall. She was singing (beautifully) and he was taking a video. It was tempting to sneak an image but I didn't. The sunrise was one of the prettiest of our vacation.

_DSC5516

_DSC5520

_DSC5522

We walked again to the Bayside Marketplace. It was much quieter on a Sunday morning. A lot of the stores weren't open. I was thinking that I might buy a dress in Miami for our upcoming family wedding, but no luck. I really didn't see anything that I loved and things were very expensive. Definitely a tourist area. We thought that we might wander further afield or hop on a bus to tour around, but it didn't happen. We just enjoyed walking. Our first 20,000 step day. 

_DSC5534

_DSC5535

When originally planning our pre-cruise we watched a lot of videos. We had been through Bayside virtually and followed a person who walked across the bridge to the cruise port. The Celebrity port was right at the back and it appeared doable. But with the park closed and having to walk all around the park, there was no way. With all our luggage it would have been a bit of a drag (literally).

Ken does not love heights. When we travel, I drive over the bridges. On a road trip to Key West a number of years ago, I did all the driving down through the Keys. What a great drive, though. Back to 2023. I said that I'd like to walk up the bridge to the cruise port and he could wait somewhere for me. But, brave man that he is, he offered to walk with me (fear of heights, bad hip and all). 

_DSC5537

Virgin Voyages sits first in the queue. 

_DSC5538

Looking back toward our hotel.

_DSC5539

_DSC5547_DSC5550
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Marvy Mare said:

We have booked a future cruise on an E class ship. We didn't choose the ship, the itinerary chose us. Unfortunately, aft balcony cabins are in demand and there is a wait list for them for our cruise almost 2 years in the future. If a lottery win comes our way before then, we'll book a suite. What does it tell you about real balconies, that if you pay more money, you get one? I just don't understand why Celebrity went with those infinite balconies. 

Maris

Maris, we snagged a Sunset (Aft) Verandah on the Apex for our June 6 Iceland cruise. We would not have sailed if only "Infinite Verandahs" were available. We passed on the pricy upgrade to suites offer as the Retreat isn't likely to be a good place in cold weather. We do love Luminae and Blu but want to try the new restaurants and have a booking for dinner in Eden which was charged to us 5 months before we sit down to eat it as were all our excursions. The X money grab.

Loving your review so keep it coming!

Norris

• Like 1

Thanks for the review!  It's fun reliving it again now that we are back to reality..lol  We felt the same about the staff.  Every single one we met or walked past was so welcoming and helpful.  Your pictures are beautiful!  

We didn't realize all that was going on in Miami either but that explains the really high prices.  We usually go in March but decided to change next cruise to Feb and go out of Fort Lauderdale.  

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I’m definitely a “real” balcony person. Lately I’ve been booking Royal Suites and the Edge class RS balconies seem quite small. If I’m paying big bucks I want a roomy balcony like on the Millennium and Solstice class ships. The Edge Villas seem nice but I’m not in the habit of buying lottery tickets…

Edited by raudacruise
  • Like 3

Norris - I'm not sure if I managed to highlight and copy part of your response. As you know I do feel the same way about 'real' balconies. We had an amazing one on this cruise. It was the first regular cabin past the hump. Not as big as the suite balcony next door to us with the jacuzzi (that they never used) but still an amazing size. We did put our names on a waitlist for the Sunset balconies. My brother Neil, a frequent cruiser sent me all kinds of suggestions when I told him that we were going to be on the Beyond in a pretend balcony, but I really want to do this itinerary. I spoke to our travel agent yesterday and she gave us a great deal, so we're doing it, balcony or infinite balcony. 

Maris

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wrunkles said:

Thanks for the review!  It's fun reliving it again now that we are back to reality..lol  We felt the same about the staff.  Every single one we met or walked past was so welcoming and helpful.  Your pictures are beautiful!  

We didn't realize all that was going on in Miami either but that explains the really high prices.  We usually go in March but decided to change next cruise to Feb and go out of Fort Lauderdale.  

Hi again Wrunkles - We just wanted to experience Miami once. Been there, done that, though it might be nice to visit at a less busy time. Yes our next cruise is from Fort Lauderdale and also in February. I love the small airport. Miami is huge. Probably bigger than Pearson in Toronto (actually Mississauga). And sailing out of Miami was beautiful. 

Thanks for your kind words. Photography is my passion and I love to share my photos and relive our trip. By the time I'm done that it may feel like spring in Central Ontario. 

• Like 2

Raudacruise - Yes, agreed about the balconies. Again I am wondering why Celebrity did this. They may lose fans. We did look at Princess and Holland America, but I'm not too sure how to navigate their sites either. We'll keep checking things out though I think we are committed to our next cruise on the Beyond. It does look like a beautiful ship. 

Maris

Now where was I?

DAY 3 - Sunday afternoon

Miami

_DSC5557

This Ferris wheel looked fun, but as I said, Ken doesn't like heights, and this was high. The  price was also $19.00 per person. A bit much for a carnival ride. So didn't do it. 

We headed back to our hotel early afternoon. On our last cruise on the Reflection (by the way my favourite ship so far) sitting above the pool deck on the first day (I think it was), we met a really wonderful couple, Angus & Lorie. Turns out, they live in the small city that we are just outside of, Peterborough, Ontario. We talked to them almost every day on that cruise. When things were getting dicey near the end of that March 2020 cruise we were considering renting a vehicle and driving home together if we couldn't get on a plane. None of that happened but we have remained friends. They booked this cruise as well. It was perfect. We could plan and the build excitement together over the 3 years between vacations but we each do our own thing. Different dinner times, different shore plans (though we often met them when we were wandering around a port). They were flying into Miami early Sunday morning (so this day). We checked at the reservation desk and told them that we had friends coming in and if they weren't able to get into their room, could they leave their stuff in ours. 

When we got back to the hotel, Angus and Lorie were just checking in. Their flight from Pearson was scheduled for 6am. They got to the airport around 2 and were lined up for almost 4 hours. Almost didn't make their flight. Very different from our experience, one day earlier and 3 hours later. Their room (again not the one they thought they booked) wasn't ready, so they came up to our room and we had a visit. 

After they got settled in their own room, we walked back to Bayside to try to get a bite to eat. Of course by now it was late afternoon. We were all starving, but Bayside was very busy again. We were ready to leave when we saw the Hard Rock Cafe at the south side of Bayside. It was right on the water with lots of outside seating. We were in Miami. It was hot. We had been waiting for this and didn't want to go inside. When we got to the door we were told that it would be a 20 minute wait. As I said, we were starving. We decided to try Landshark that was downstairs. Lots of seats there. Should have been a warning. They were short staffed and we were there for a long time. The meal wasn't bad. I had a BBQ chicken salad that seemed healthy and tasted good and I don't think any one of us had a bad meal but we had to search down our server to pay our bill and were there for a lot longer than planned. 

The sun is shining here. I think I'm going to put on a warm coat and sit on our really large deck. 

Until later.

Maris