August 30,2023 HAL Land Sea Cruise Alaska

Garibaldi

We're looking for a couple answers before we book.

Maybe some one could help ?

Although we love the romance of the sea, land adventure, we wonder a couple of things.

All meals once you arrive on the land portion of the trip are on you. What's that going to set us back?

They say there's a 'optional' meal plan available, but they don't list the cost up front.

Your carry on can not exceed 17x14x4 (briefcase?)

and the last one is: 2 of us have had our boosters, and 2 haven't due to health concerns. do we try to board?

1 minute ago, Garibaldi said:

We're looking for a couple answers before we book.

Maybe some one could help ?

Although we love the romance of the sea, land adventure, we wonder a couple of things.

All meals once you arrive on the land portion of the trip are on you. What's that going to set us back?

They say there's a 'optional' meal plan available, but they don't list the cost up front.

Your carry on can not exceed 17x14x4 (briefcase?)

and the last one is: 2 of us have had our boosters, and 2 haven't due to health concerns. do we try to board?

Has a anyone taken this type of cruise before and would you do it again?

Hi Garibaldi,

We did the 11 day YK Double Denali last July/August.  We loved every minute of it - and would definitely do it again. I don't know the covid restrictions right now - but for us, we had to show a negative test to get on the ship, and another to get off the ship for the land portion.  

The real negative I found when booking the trip as well as leading up to the trip was that information was hard to find around things like the meals and times of departure.  They were not shared until it was pretty much time to leave.  Although that was frustrating (I'm a real planner and wanted to know all of that going in), it was super well organized.

If you are looking at a trip where the carry on is small, it's because the plane or bus (or train) won't have room for it.  We flew on a really small plane between Dawson City and Fairbanks - there was no way any larger would fit.  That said, we were never far from our bags.

Our itinerary was VERY busy - up early and on the road a lot (planes, trains, and buses) doing the Gold Rush tour - I hear that the other land tours are not as grueling.  We covered a lot of territory, so hence the early up ... 

As for the meals - I think the package was just for Denali - we definitely were on our own for many of the meals when we were traveling from place to place.  We didn't get the meal package - from what I'd read online, I heard that unless you ordered the most expensive meal, it didn't pay for itself.  When we were in Denali, we ended up booking the show that included dinner and another excursion (the four by four adventure) that also included dinner - and then we had the lunchbox on the Tundra wilderness tour - we didn't end up buying anything but snacks there.  For the other stops, our land tour coordinator (she was with us for most of the trip) gave us lots of recommendations and we did some exploring on our own - it was actually a good combination of cruise organized and on your own.  Alaska was fairly expensive, but still doable, and worth the trip.  

I'm not sure what trip(s) you are looking at, but it was a lovely experience and we'd do another land tour again. Happy to answer any questions you have.

We did a cruise-land package in September, but our was only nine days: seven on board, then to Denali for one night, then Fairbanks. We paid for each meal in Denali and Fairbanks, and if I remember correctly, it wasn't too expensive. 

We loved the trip! Northern Lights in Fairbanks! Black Bears in Ketchikan! Glacier visit in Juneau!

We’ve done the land tours with HAL.  The meal package restricts you to eating at the HAL properties and the train.  The food on the train is really good so enjoy the opportunity.  I don’t know your itinerary but usually you will have breakfast at the hotel with either a full buffet or continental (which is substantial).  At the Chalets you can eat at Karstens or at the Canyon Steakhouse.  You can also go over to the Princess lodge nearby.   There are other places to grab a bite across the highway in Glitter Gulch.  In Anchorage there are a lot of places to enjoy good food around town.

As far as the small bag…..a backpack size bag is perfect.  You will have your essential items in that bag and it will be at your feet on the bus and train.  Meds, passport, camers(?), maybe raingear, jacket, valuables that you don’t want to put in your checked luggage, snack, etc.

Your luggage will be transported separately and will be in your stateroom upon your arrival.

You can spend as much as you like on food..  I’m happy with the very substantial continental breakfast which includes fruit, oatmeal, etc.   We don’t eat desserts on the land portion.  There is a snack box included on the Denali tour into the park but some people order a lunch to take with them from the Deli at the Chalets.  If you want to splurge, get the package….it covers everything but it is pricey.

Only HAL can advise you on vaccines and boosters for your trip.  It is on their website and will be specific to your itinerary.