Question about Madeira

Giantfan13

We are on the Enchantment stopping in Madeira for a day. We have never been here before and I notice most of the tours have one going high to a certain viewing point to see the city and ocean. But that is not my question, my DW tends to get car sick when riding up winding mountain roads. Would this be what we would expect if we book a tour that would take you up the mountains? She is fine if it is sort of a straight climb, but we have done several tours in the Carribean and she always gets car sick on some of those roads. We have done the Road to Hana in Maui and the same thing. How are the roads in Madeira?

Cheers

Len

13 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are on the Enchantment stopping in Madeira for a day. We have never been here before and I notice most of the tours have one going high to a certain viewing point to see the city and ocean. But that is not my question, my DW tends to get car sick when riding up winding mountain roads. Would this be what we would expect if we book a tour that would take you up the mountains? She is fine if it is sort of a straight climb, but we have done several tours in the Carribean and she always gets car sick on some of those roads. We have done the Road to Hana in Maui and the same thing. How are the roads in Madeira?

Cheers

Len

Maderia is very mountainous and the roads wind, twist and turn.  You are better off exploring town which is lovely and perhaps going up to the botanical gardens which is only a short distance.  

• Like 1

Even "normal" streets in Madeiran towns  are extremely steep. although much of Funchal centre itself  is flat and an easy walk from the docking area.

If staying in town, you could take the cable car up to Monte  and toboggan part way down.  It is pretty up there with views and a botanical garden. Buses go up and down too and the distance is short.

In town itself, there is a market, Blandy's wine lodge to visit for tastings (Madeiran wine is high quality)and a pleasant walk along the promenade or around the shopping area.  It is an attractive town to visit and would be a good option for a port day.

Depoends on your plans for the day.  If taking the chairlift or bus up to Monte for the views, gardens and toboggan run, then exploring the centre of town including the market and promenade with a meal or snack somewhere along the way, (not forgetting Blandy's wine lodge and Rua Santa Maria mentioned above), you may not need it, or even have time for  it.. 

It is a personal choice, but reading online HOHO reviews could help you decide.

Edited by edinburgher

Is the Rua Santa Maria (with the painted doors) an easy walk, or is it uphill from the port?

Sorry, but we didn't do that so cannot answer the question.  Would online reviews give an indication should nobody here be able to reply?

On 3/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

Hi Len, if you take a tour that does multiple stops she should be okay but take Dramamine or equivalent. Try to sit up front if possible. I have terrible motion sickness and am afraid of heights but it was totally worth it and I did not get sick. Road to Hana just about did me in and this was so much better. Just don't look out the windows when bus is by the edge.

2 hours ago, lisabdh1 said:

Hi Len, if you take a tour that does multiple stops she should be okay but take Dramamine or equivalent. Try to sit up front if possible. I have terrible motion sickness and am afraid of heights but it was totally worth it and I did not get sick. Road to Hana just about did me in and this was so much better. Just don't look out the windows when bus is by the edge.

Thanks for the advice. 

When a person wants to try and overcome it, there is hope, my DW just believes she will get sick and she usually does. We will probably opt for something a bit more level.

Cheers

Len

3 hours ago, lisabdh1 said:

Good advice