Water

Vagabond51

We both drink quite a lot of water during the day. We are trying to decide if we should pack our individual Yeti thermos for ice water. They are bit bigger and heavier than we would prefer, but they work well. We know the water bottles in our fridge are available for us each morning. Would prefer not to pack more than I have to. This old back is not what it used to be.

Should extra water be packed as we leave the ship from water tables. Do buses usually have coolers for later in the day? Has anyone experienced not having water at the bus upon return? Will they tell us there is no water today and we shold stop and purchase? 

Appreciated any guidance here. The wife says thank you very much!

Edited by Vagabond51

Based on my limited experience with Viking excursions, their excursion buses did not offer water.  We've always brought bottled water from the ship, and had to buy more on longer (more than half day) excursions.

9 minutes ago, Selion said:

Based on my limited experience with Viking excursions, their excursion buses did not offer water.  We've always brought bottled water from the ship, and had to buy more on longer (more than half day) excursions.

Based on my experiences water is always available as you leave the ship and on the bus. They stick a bottle in your hand as you depart.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

In our 5 Viking Ocean cruises, there has been a bin of cold water wherever we exited the ship.  Sometimes there would be crew member encouraging guests to take a bottle other times it would be there for the taking.  You can take as many bottles as you like.  There are no coolers on the bus.  The same water bin was usually available when you returned to the ship.  We never had bottles of water in our room cooler unless we put them there. 

Water by the glass is available at the restaurant tables not in bottles.  Same in the pool area.  Hopefully Viking is discouraging the single use bottles by only providing them for excursions.  The room steward will put a caraf of water in your room twice a day.  We ask for two carafs and they are readily available.  At first we would refill the plastic bottles with the room caraf to cut down on plastic use but the small opening made it hard to do.  Last cruise we brought our own refillable wide mouth bottles.

• Like 3

Buses we have been on for excursions had water bottles—largely SE Asia where it was HOT. Also depends on the country if they are plastic conscious. It’s good to have your own refillable bottle just in case.

Water is always available at the gangway, except in India which has banned single use plastic bottles.  Viking gives out reusable bottles put in each stateroom.  Just one weirdness to report:  DH always brings a water tester (Amazon about $15).  The carafe water tested excellent, same for the tap water in the bathroom sink.  The only time water has been undrinkable was a sealed bottle from a supermarket in Vietnam.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

We both drink quite a lot of water during the day. We are trying to decide if we should pack our individual Yeti thermos for ice water. They are bit bigger and heavier than we would prefer, but they work well. We know the water bottles in our fridge are available for us each morning. Would prefer not to pack more than I have to. This old back is not what it used to be.

Should extra water be packed as we leave the ship from water tables. Do buses usually have coolers for later in the day? Has anyone experienced not having water at the bus upon return? Will they tell us there is no water today and we shold stop and purchase? 

Appreciated any guidance here. The wife says thank you very much!

I also drink lots of water and always travel with my 40 oz Avex (Coleman) insulated container. Before leaving the ship, I fill both our containers and grab an additional bottle(s) at the gangway.

Haven't experienced a bus with a cooler, but often find the buses do have additional bottles of water available. While our water containers are heavy, I find them worth the effort, especially when carried in a backpack.

With the exception of Petra, I have never experienced running out of water on a tour.