Pre and Post Cruise Hotels? (Jewel - Japan/Singapore Oct 2023)

FarBeyondMe

Hello!

The two of us are doing two back to back cruises on the Jewel in Oct ‘23. Embarking on the first cruise in Tokyo, Japan and then Disembarking at the end of the 2nd cruise in Singapore Oct 2023. We purchased this onboard through the CruiseNext desk. We told her to add a 2 day stay before and after. She added a 2 day deviation at the beginning, but said at the time it wouldn’t let her add the deviation at the end (probably because it was so far out - we booked these in Aug of ‘22, more than a year before the cruise). She instructed me to call into NCL later as the cruise got closer and add those days on. She made it sound like NCL would actually book the hotels for these deviations as well.

I called once in January, and they almost sounded confused. Ultimately, they said it was still too early to add anything on and to call back when the cruise is within 6 months of embarking.

I’ve never booked deviations with NCL (done this with Viking, Seabourn, and Holland with no issues), so I’m just not familiar with it and I’m really nervous. Should I be? NCL WILL be the one booking my hotel, right? Or are they only doing a deviation and I have to book my own hotel and make my own transfer arrangements? Is there any way or circumstance in which NCL WOULDN’T do an add-on deviation (asking because of the agents inability to add on at the end in Singapore)? 

This is our ONE BIG trip to the region, so I want to get it right! I definitely want as many days before and after the cruise so we can soak in the sights and adjust from long flights. Just a little nervous about this deviation business because Viking and other cruises seemed to have it down more seamlessly (confirmation that YES they book your hotels and transfers etc without you having to think about it when you do add-on deviations). I’m just not getting that level of confidence from NCL.

Any thoughts or input?

Edited by FarBeyondMe
Spelling

When you select your deviation with NCL (by calling them), you'll be able to tell them you would like the NCL hotel. They will then happily book you a hotel as the rates for the hotels are outrageous. If I were doing what you're doing, I'd probably just go along with NCL's hotels too. Just be prepared for sticker shock. 

Once you've talked with an agent who can help (call back several times until you get a good one), be sure they email you a confirmation showing you have a deviation and hotel. If you don't have this, then don't plan on having a deviation/hotel. Their system is slow so the email may not come to you immediately, but if you don't have it by the next day, you should reach out again. 

I have never requested a deviation/hotel by chatting with an agent, but you might be able to use the chat feature, instead of calling if you're not a fan of phone calls. 

I know you stated a two day deviation on either side, but if you're staying in a NCL arranged hotel, you may be able to have a three day deviation. Ask them about that (if you're interested). 

43 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

When you select your deviation with NCL (by calling them), you'll be able to tell them you would like the NCL hotel. They will then happily book you a hotel as the rates for the hotels are outrageous. If I were doing what you're doing, I'd probably just go along with NCL's hotels too. Just be prepared for sticker shock. 

Once you've talked with an agent who can help (call back several times until you get a good one), be sure they email you a confirmation showing you have a deviation and hotel. If you don't have this, then don't plan on having a deviation/hotel. Their system is slow so the email may not come to you immediately, but if you don't have it by the next day, you should reach out again. 

I have never requested a deviation/hotel by chatting with an agent, but you might be able to use the chat feature, instead of calling if you're not a fan of phone calls. 

I know you stated a two day deviation on either side, but if you're staying in a NCL arranged hotel, you may be able to have a three day deviation. Ask them about that (if you're interested). 

Thank you so much for the prompt feedback! I’ve just been nervous because they couldn’t book it when I asked previously, and I’ve never done deviations with NCL before. 

I was pretty sure the price tag would be inflated, but on this trip I thought it would probably be worth it to not have to worry too much. 

And thanks for the tip on possibly getting 3 days! I’ll ask when I call in again. I was told to wait until I got to the 6-month-prior mark to check, so hopefully that will be available then. 

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Looks like NCL doesn't have designated hotels in Asia.

Cruise Packages and Hotel | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

I just had a look in NCL.com and saw that there is a "Tokyo Cruisetour" for your sailing that gets you to arrive in Tokyo a few days prior, have 2 full days, hotel for 3 nights, and transfers, etc.

Your cruise, right?:

image.png.e699d5f370146ee2c080d46b38baa15e.png

CruiseTour:

image.png.e2d7f072b8e6b0d238fd928340300244.png

image.png.f883b292598911aadc2fa40b46fb69ae.png

Can you check with NCL to see how easy it is for you to switch your booking to the Cruisetour one, and pay the difference?

As for Singapore at end of your cruise .... we were there in Singapore for 5 days pre-cruise in Nov 2018 and stayed at Courtyard Singapore Novena. It's a fantastic hotel - the ever best Courtyard hotel we have even stayed in all around the world. It's not in Singapore proper but in the north and is situated right above a mall AND a Metro station! It is half the price of the city centre hotels but the metro was so handy for us to travel around Singapore. Highlights of the hotel include an infinity pool overlooking the city, sunset happy hours by the pool, night swims in pool - beautiful! The restaurant in hotel is excellent, and there are some restaurants in the mall below the hotel.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Looks like NCL doesn't have designated hotels in Asia.

Cruise Packages and Hotel | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

I just had a look in NCL.com and saw that there is a "Tokyo Cruisetour" for your sailing that gets you to arrive in Tokyo a few days prior, have 2 full days, hotel for 3 nights, and transfers, etc.

Your cruise, right?:

image.png.e699d5f370146ee2c080d46b38baa15e.png

CruiseTour:

image.png.e2d7f072b8e6b0d238fd928340300244.png

image.png.f883b292598911aadc2fa40b46fb69ae.png

Can you check with NCL to see how easy it is for you to switch your booking to the Cruisetour one, and pay the difference?

As for Singapore at end of your cruise .... we were there in Singapore for 5 days pre-cruise in Nov 2018 and stayed at Courtyard Singapore Novena. It's a fantastic hotel - the ever best Courtyard hotel we have even stayed in all around the world. It's not in Singapore proper but in the north and is situated right above a mall AND a Metro station! It is half the price of the city centre hotels but the metro was so handy for us to travel around Singapore. Highlights of the hotel include an infinity pool overlooking the city, sunset happy hours by the pool, night swims in pool - beautiful! The restaurant in hotel is excellent, and there are some restaurants in the mall below the hotel.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you for the information and welcome!!! I’m so grateful to finally join this board. Such a wealth of information and friendly assistance. 🙂

Uh oh! Maybe that’s why they seemed confused the last time I called. I wish the NCL agent on the ship would have told me that. 

So, you’re correct that the first image is our cruise. We booked two people (with air/discounts) for roughly $5000 total. I noticed that Tokyo Cruise Tour this morning, but whoa man! At $5000 per person, the price difference seems incredibly high. That would imply about $2500 per person to add on four days… If I assume we actually got 4 days of excursions (which, I’m not sure of because they don’t show an exact itinerary on that) at an average of  $175 each (which is assuming a high avg) and maybe the hotel is $300 a night - it just seems like that’s not coming close to $5000 is cost/value.

Still, I had hoped to just get the hotel in advance and bum around for a few days on our own before the cruise started (and same at the end). 

On your Singapore pre-cruise - did you all book the hotel yourselves? Did you do a “CruiseTour” or just book stuff on your own? Thank you thank you thank you for that info and the suggestions, too!!! Taking notes! 🙂

Remember that hotels booked by NCL are Per Person and not Per Room as they are when you book for yourself,.

We tend to book for ourselves with one of two chains to get the benefit of their Loyalty schemes, just like using NCL to get the benefits of Latitude Rewards.

Travel in both Tokyo/Yokohama and Singapore is simple on their "undergrounds" so get a hotel you want and use the underground to get round.

25 minutes ago, FarBeyondMe said:

Thank you for the information and welcome!!! I’m so grateful to finally join this board. Such a wealth of information and friendly assistance. 🙂

Uh oh! Maybe that’s why they seemed confused the last time I called. I wish the NCL agent on the ship would have told me that. 

So, you’re correct that the first image is our cruise. We booked two people (with air/discounts) for roughly $5000 total. I noticed that Tokyo Cruise Tour this morning, but whoa man! At $5000 per person, the price difference seems incredibly high. That would imply about $2500 per person to add on four days… If I assume we actually got 4 days of excursions (which, I’m not sure of because they don’t show an exact itinerary on that) at an average of  $175 each (which is assuming a high avg) and maybe the hotel is $300 a night - it just seems like that’s not coming close to $5000 is cost/value.

Still, I had hoped to just get the hotel in advance and bum around for a few days on our own before the cruise started (and same at the end). 

On your Singapore pre-cruise - did you all book the hotel yourselves? Did you do a “CruiseTour” or just book stuff on your own? Thank you thank you thank you for that info and the suggestions, too!!! Taking notes! 🙂

I just checked hotel prices and can absolutely see how the price would be so high now! 🤦‍♀️ That cruise tour isn’t looking too bad now! Lol!

13 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Remember that hotels booked by NCL are Per Person and not Per Room as they are when you book for yourself,.

We tend to book for ourselves with one of two chains to get the benefit of their Loyalty schemes, just like using NCL to get the benefits of Latitude Rewards.

Travel in both Tokyo/Yokohama and Singapore is simple on their "undergrounds" so get a hotel you want and use the underground to get round.

Great tips! I’ve heard the underground system was very easy in Japan, but I wasn’t sure about Singapore yet. I’ve been distracted with building our house, but it’s time to start researching and planning!

@FarBeyondMe

If you are happy with travelling on the underground then look for a hotel out of the centre.   They are cheaper and the savings there will well cover any travelling costs and your meals while sight seeing.

In Tokyo/Yokohama think about a Pasmo card especially if you are there for 3 days or more.   But at the airport, easy to use and you don't have to get individual tickets.   Then get it refunded at your last station.

We used Best Western Yokohama at Tsurumi; very nice and close to many train lines; easy to get to both Tokyo and Yokohama.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:11 PM, FarBeyondMe said:

We always book own flights and hotels. And we do not use NCL transfers. We always fly into the port city 3 days before cruise. Our preferred hotel chain is Bonvoy, so that is how I found Courtyard Singapore Novena. The metro below the hotel (the lobby is on 22nd floor - hotel is 22nd floor and up, the infinity pool is rooftop) has very clean trains and will take you anywhere. We used it quite a bit.

Enjoy your researching and planning - these are part of the fun travelling.