Looking for info about Norwegian Sky

mugtech

Looking at some cruises by Sky out of Baltimore this year and in Asia in 2025.  Never read any reviews, for years I ignored her because she was running 3 and 4 day booze cruises out of Florida.  Any info about the ship, the layout, the crew, how it compares to Jewel class ships would be appreciated.

Went on her in September.   One odd thing was the access to our balcony.  Wall had a round port hole and a regular glass door to access the balcony.  No problem just different

• Thanks 1

We just returned from a 9-day cruise on the Sky. It is a smaller ship than any we had previously sailed. We had an Oceanview room on the 9th deck. Small room but perfect for 2 of us. Would definitely not want 4 of us in there. The staff was superb. the buffet area is tight so often there were long lines. We only used it for lunch and often just grabbed something from the great outdoors. Spent lots of time there. The pool area was very crowded on the one sea day. There is no O' Sheehan which we missed.  They instead have The Local which was lovely and had great drinks but food was only served there after 6 pm. The Atrium is also small compared to most ships. The two main dining rooms were excellent. We mostly ate in the Crossings. The dress code was casual and shorts were allowed in all venues except Le Bistro and the Crossings. We ate in Cagneys, Le Bistro, and La Cucina. Excellent meals and service in all. The Let Us Rock You show in the theater was great. The same group put on an American Idol-style show on a different night which was also excellent. We didn't really care for the comedian on board. We spent many after-dinner evenings in the Bliss Lounge where there was always something going on. Jeffy and James were the best cruise directors we've ever had on any ship. Overall we liked the ship for this particular itinerary and came home with great memories. I would not take book it with small children or even teens as there didn't seem much to do for them. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Belchro22,

I'm on the Sky in late May and am looking forward to sailing on a smaller ship.  It's a bit more like the earlier years in the 90's when I first sailed. There were always jokes about the size of the cabin and especially the bathroom!

I sailed on the Joy in September, (loved my balcony cabin), t the ship itself was just too big with too many attractions that didn't interest me at all.  I'm sure younger folks would disagree but that's the reason there are many different choices in ships.

Again thanks,

happytotravel

I find the Sky/Sun ships and the Jewel class ships to be very similar.  All have observations lounges and the Great Outdoors bar/bufffet.  We just got off the Sky in Feb and had a similar experience to that other poster.  Rock show in the theatre was great.  We watched it twice.  I thought the comedian (Flip?) was better than average.  I didn't like the musicians as much as on other ships.  That said, it has recently been reported that Alexa is going to soon be on the Sky.  I would sail the Sky just to listen to Alexa again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I find the Sky/Sun ships and the Jewel class ships to be very similar.  All have observations lounges and the Great Outdoors bar/bufffet.  We just got off the Sky in Feb and had a similar experience to that other poster.  Rock show in the theatre was great.  We watched it twice.  I thought the comedian (Flip?) was better than average.  I didn't like the musicians as much as on other ships.  That said, it has recently been reported that Alexa is going to soon be on the Sky.  I would sail the Sky just to listen to Alexa again.

Are reservations necessary or available to the shows and comedian or are they all first come, first served?

52 minutes ago, Jonestown said:

Are reservations necessary or available to the shows and comedian or are they all first come, first served?

Everything was first come first served on my January sailing.  They open the doors about 30 minutes before the shows.

Pro tip: if you are in some other show just before a theater show, leave five minutes early.  I think we were in something in the Bliss Lounge and when it ended, there was a literal stampede to the theatre.  To the best of my knowledge, no cruisers were injured. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Jonestown said:

I'm thinking on such a small ship (2,000) there would be no reservations available.