Muse Cruise Japan questions...... Anyone on board now or about to sail?

les37b

OK, this time in 3 weeks, we should be half way onto Japan for our Osaka cruise. Normally, there wouldn't be too much to be fact finding for outside of things to see, but not this time!

Firstly we know to board, we have to have a covid test result from within 48 hours (there are differences for Antigen and PCR - but this is just acknowledging its the case.)

To date, we still haven't been sent any info by SS and for the Dawn last month, we were told SS no longer issues cruise tickets. I did get an email "welcoming me on board" but was quite generic. On the Roll call it seems they are being sent to US guests. Thanks to CC and a thread in January it wont be a surprise when arriving in port, but going on reports, it has been for some who've arrived without.

Anyway, we know its going to happen and we know they'll also take a temperature check.

On that other site, apparently this temperature check is daily and all staff are wearing masks in Japanese waters. 

Anyone able to verify that?

On the Dawn last month, it was quite close to being back to normal. But on the Moon last year when they did temperature checks daily, all activities were also accompanied with close contact notes. (ie who you sat with at meals, triv etc.) Obviously having been there done that, this can and will have a negative impact. After having to isolate, I chose to no longer mix without some distance or attend Triv. 

I have no idea if that has come back for the Muse in Japan, but hoping anyone onboard now or the next sailing could comment. With the things Ive heard and the fears  for cruising by Japan, I do wonder if that will be the case. I hope it isn't.

Also, the cruise starts from Osaka. There are 2 possible start places that I can see. One is the Tempozan cruise centre which is the nearest to the hotel we are staying, the other is Kobe Osaka - which as the name suggests is actually in Kobe. Now understandably, it sounds pretty obvious that the cruise will start from Tempozan. My doubts come from Cruisemapper and the Osaka cruise port info, which appears to confirm it starts from Kobe Osaka.

Ordinarily I'd not be too concerned as the transfers are included. However, we've kind of decided that on the morning of the cruise, we will catch a return Bullet train to Kyoto for a very brief visit and make our own way to the ship...... ie it would be good to know beforehand which it'll be so we can calculate routes etc.

My gut feeling is that it will be Tempozan.

Last question - arriving in Japan and the Visit Japan QR codes. What Ive seen online, once youve made your declarations, you simply use the auto gates which are very quick. Then passport control. Again, on the Roll Call, someone has posted something theyve seen from another guest saying they had to queue for 2 hours with their QR codes, which doesn't sound right. We fly to Haneda. Not sure if that info was for Narita, but suspect it will be similar. All the YT videos Ive seen suggest if you have your QR codes, then its a simple process. 

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

Last question - arriving in Japan and the Visit Japan QR codes. What Ive seen online, once youve made your declarations, you simply use the auto gates which are very quick. Then passport control. Again, on the Roll Call, someone has posted something theyve seen from another guest saying they had to queue for 2 hours with their QR codes, which doesn't sound right. We fly to Haneda. Not sure if that info was for Narita, but suspect it will be similar. All the YT videos Ive seen suggest if you have your QR codes, then its a simple process. 

Acquaintances who flew to Haneda last week reported that “getting through customs was a zoo with very long lines and a lot of confusion as people are supposed to have downloaded their entry forms and filled them out online, but a lot of people hadn’t.  It took us an hour to get through.”

• Like 1

Just now, Stumblefoot said:

Acquaintances who flew to Haneda last week reported that “getting through customs was a zoo with very long lines and a lot of confusion as people are supposed to have downloaded their entry forms and filled them out online, but a lot of people hadn’t.  It took us an hour to get through.”

Ok, so sounds like I'd suggested and the issue was arrivals unprepared. I've done all the necessary and printed out the QRs credit card style sealed in plastic. Ive also got the Jpegs on my phone as well as immigration things all printed for easy access.

Hoping its not a Zoo if organised - and holding up the QRs will make it nice and easy. I think our connection in a different terminal and 10 minute bus ride, might be a bit tight for our 1h50m connection, though luckily the service is frequent so hopefully not a problem.

Les, we have--if our flt from LAX is on time--about 1hr45min to get from terminal 3 to term. 1 at Haneda for our flt to Itami-Osaka. If we miss it the other option on JAL is to KIX-Osaka airport which is way the heck out of town, hopefully the airline will be able to contact SS to pick us up there.

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

Les, we have--if our flt from LAX is on time--about 1hr45min to get from terminal 3 to term. 1 at Haneda for our flt to Itami-Osaka. If we miss it the other option on JAL is to KIX-Osaka airport which is way the heck out of town, hopefully the airline will be able to contact SS to pick us up there.

There is one flight per hour on JAL from Haneda to Itami - that's the reason I'm not phased by the high risk of missing the booked connection. This would be dealt with by JAL not SS. Not a chance they would be involved. But obviously the transfer will however be arranged by SS for your allocated flight. Not sure how that would pan out. If they are not at the airport to meet and greet, I will just take public transport with my bags to the hotel and not bother with SS if they are nowhere to be seen. Its approx 1h10m and a bit of an adventure. if it wasn't for the luggage, I'd probably prefer that to the coach they have probably laid on! Its a similar time for Kix too and there is a one train line to within a few minutes walk of the Imperial.

Obviously if you are delayed and you are able to get in touch with SS prior to leaving Haneda, there is a possibility they will act, but im certain its not something they monitor. It's probably something to ask prior to leaving "what if". I doubt they have a plan B, but they should be able to advise and maybe sort in the short space something else. However - note the time difference.... its improbable! 

Just prior to Covid our BA flight was eventually cancelled after waiting gate side at Fort Lauderdale for 6 or more hours. BA abandoned us at the airport, though did put us up for the night. They expected everyone to make their way to Miami at their own expense and agree to a change of ticket. (That would mean getting out of the 1200 Euro compensation owing.) To top it, they wanted to downgrade us to Economy as flights were pretty full. We eventually got a flight home from FLL after being on the phone most of the night and morning with BA who were extremely unhelpful. Luckily the agent we booked with I managed to speak to and they could see there were spare seats on the flight we caught home - but had to argue the case. SS didn't want to know.

Edited by les37b

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

we're due there 5/3 and I haven't seen anything about an entry form that needs to be filled out to enter.

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

There is a fast express train from KIX any way. And it always runs to time. Not a minute earlier or a minute later but right on time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Did SS give prior notice to do that? Because I never heard of it till now?

I never got anything from SS for this or to date, advice we will be tested on embarkation.

this is the visit japan website. Create an account and provide the information requested. Vaccination uploads, passport and flight details, customs declarations and where you are saying. Nothing too taxing, though it wasn’t obvious (to me) the hotel info and prefecture for example. Once done it takes a day or so to get your confirmation through and your QR codes to use on the auto gates.

https://www.vjw.digital.go.jp/main/#/vjwplo001

8 minutes ago, les37b said:

I never got anything from SS for this or to date, advice we will be tested on embarkation.

this is the visit japan website. Create an account and provide the information requested. Vaccination uploads, passport and flight details, customs declarations and where you are saying. Nothing too taxing, though it wasn’t obvious (to me) the hotel info and prefecture for example. Once done it takes a day or so to get your confirmation through and your QR codes to use on the auto gates.

https://www.vjw.digital.go.jp/main/#/vjwplo001

what is the postal code etc?

If you are staying at the Imperial hotel Osaka:    1  8 50 Tenmabashi, Kita Ward Osaka 530-0042 Japan

I used 81668811111 as a phone--good luck. Somewhere, might have been Japan info on the Asia category had another number, I'll see if I can find it.

9 hours ago, silkismom said:

Couldn't find it, possible ask Les37b, I think he had the address.

just did a screen grab of my actual input which was accepted.

image.thumb.png.fce878da6d80d8f7e388e80b28360d1b.png

As mentioned earlier, this was the only part in the process I struggled with.

• Thanks 1

Les,

I received my ticket for the April 26 Osaka to Seward and it is, indeed, Tempozan.

YOUR PRE-CRUISE INFORMATION The ship will be located at Tempozan Passenger Terminal pier. Guests will be permitted to embark the vessel from approximately 2:00- 4:00PM. 

45 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

my TA said today that the Japan visa is no longer required but will double check with SS.

Correct.  But, you should still pre-register for airport immigration, customs, and vaccination review.  Otherwise, your wait will be even worse that what I shared above.

Just to clarify some of the points above:

You do need to download the Visit Japan App, complete the registration and fill in all the Info required. The hotel adress can be a challenge sometimes as the App only accepts what is in its system and that may be different from the info on the hotel Website. But frankly, you can provide any hotels adress, no one checks if you do stay at the Imperial ..

You can do all this well in advance of your arrival to get this right and your uploaded vacination Info approved.

Once your App Mark changes from Red to green, or rather BLUE, and you can access your QR Code, make screen shots of both the blue OK and the QR code! Haneda does have free WiFi, but it takes time to get into it and you want to be able to show your App being blue and not Red as soon as you get off the plane so you are not taken 'aside' and have to fumble for it (and there will be many asking to see it).

There are no Auto gates. You line up at the Non-Japanese immigration counters, the person checks your QR Code, stamps your passport, gets your fingerprints, then waves you through.

The blue App and the QR make all this faster. If you don't have them you are taken aside and I don't want to know what happens then...

The lines do vary. Early November they were quite long at Haneda and despite cutting in with the excuse of a 90min connection we missed the flight. This time, March 9, there was no one in front of us. It really depends on what other flights arrive at about the same time as you arrive. A few planes from China and Vietnam ahead of you will make a huge difference.

Of note, even if you do have the 2nd QR code for Customs, there are stations next to the baggage belt where the machine reads your QR code and you have to scan your passport. Then the same procedure with the customs officer at the exit....🙄 The filled in yellow customs form paper is faster, but not all airlines have them on board as you are supposed to use the App.

As of mid March it is 'up to the individual' where to wears masks and only 'suggested' for crowded places incl crowded public transport.

In reality, "all" Japanese keep wearing them, even while walking on the streets. Any staff definitely has them on. Hotels may insist you disinfect your hands when entering the restaurant. Buffets provide plastic gloves. You can get on buses, trains, planes without masks, and people will not frown on you. But taxi drivers clearly do not like it if you don't wear a mask! So, do bring a few, and any mask will do!

And like everywhere else, staff is short in many places. But otherwise it is normal and enjoyable right now.

20230331_135856.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, silkismom said:

We sail next week and still do not have a stateroom assignment, we have been GTY since booking waaay back in Mar 2020. Is that usual??

Im also Vista GTY. Mine was allocated in Jan 2022… and pleased with the balcony allocation, though wished we were port side vice Starboard.  

3 hours ago, MJN1 said:

Just to clarify some of the points above:

Thank you for your helpful reply.

You mention the need to connect to WiFi to access the Visit Japan website. I’ve already done the necessary and got my pre approved QR codes. 

I’ve tried to simplify things (no need to connect that way!) and have printed out just the QRs onto double credit card sized docs (back to back), which I’m hoping should be fine.Hopefully I’ve done the helpful thing here… or will they insist on the harder way and show the same QR connected via the website on my phone? My way should definitely be quicker, but only if allowed?

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

my TA said today that the Japan visa is no longer required but will double check with SS.

Agree, it’s always best to double check especially as different nationalities will have different requirements. That said I’m fairly certain for this cruise, you don’t need a Visa (I definitely don’t), but the important part is the visit Japan QRs.