Need advise on excursions - Norwegian Fjords

Hello,

we are going to Norwegian Fjords in July, our first time there. We are on Silversea Dawn.

There are some excursions that are included in our price and some that we can buy in addition. We can also book independent tours, we are fine with it.

Though I read some thread here, I have some specific questions on some of the ports.

Our itinerary:

22-Jul    Sat    Copenhagen                        7:00 PM
23-Jul    Sunday    Sea        
24-Jul    Monday    Flam            7:30 AM    5:30 PM
25-Jul    Tuesday    Alesund      9:00 AM    6:00 PM
26-Jul    Wed         Throndheim    8:00 AM    5:00 PM
27-Jul    Thursday    Geiranger    8:00 AM    6:00 PM
28-Jul    Friday    Nordfjordeid    8:00 AM    6:00 PM
29-Jul    Sat    Bergen    7:00 AM    

1. Flam - does it make sense to take one of the included excursions such as Flam Railway or Voss Gondola or Naeroyfjord Cruise& Gudvangen or go with the Selected tours (payable) such as this one that includes Flåm and Bergen Railways. Myrdal, Voss, Tvindefossen Waterfall, Nærøy Valley, Stalheimskleivene, Gudvangen, Mountains, Rivers, Valleys, Waterfalls.

I think latter one sounds the best, but would like to hear from people who have first hands experience. We could probably book it with independent tour operator to decrease the cost.

2. Alesund. I was thinking to take the Land of Trolls but it says it takes 3 hours to get there. Is that so? the tour is 8 hours. If we spend 6 of them on the road - is it worth it?

I read about renting a car and doing this tour on our own, however, I want my husband to relax and enjoy it so this option is not for us. 

3. Throndheim - we signed up for the tour' By boat and on foot':  Cruise past Mulkholm Island, Your cruise ship seen from the sea, Colorful wharfs at Nidaros River, Old City bridge, Kristiansten Fortress, Nidaros Cathedral, Market Square, Bakklandet, Bicycle elevator. 

Is it a good one?

4.  Geiranger - we signed up for ' Panoramic Mt Dalsnibba and Eagle Road'.

5. Nordfjordeid - we signed up for 'Specacular Loen Gondola' which includes Nordfjordeid, Nordfjord, Loen Gondola, Hornidal Lake.

Ask to people who have first hand experience - appreciate your feedback. What was your best experiences in those ports?

A nice route.  
1. in Flåm, the most obvious and popular is the railway - be aware that the number of tickets is limited and that the train sells out.

2.  Land and Trolls is a fantastic trip, although it is long.  Gives a good insight into the Norwegian nature.  
3. Have no experience with this trip.  

4. Yes, viewpoints are a must in Geiranger.  

5. The Loen Skylift is a good choice.  

It is important that you are up early (at sunrise 4:30) to enjoy the scenic sailings to Flåm, Geiranger and Nordfjordeid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alesund. I was thinking to take the Land of Trolls but it says it takes 3 hours to get there

That is a looong drive.  The other port it is offered from is Aldasnes, which is much closer but unfortunately not on your itinerary.  And it isn't clear if that 3 hour drive each way is to the top of the road and the viewing point where you would have the opportunity to get off the bus, or if that is only to the start of the road.  If only to the start, that would be an even longer drive. And as you would hope for a good weather day ( which you would not know until the day itself)  it is a bit of a gamble.

There are past threads and replies which you could bring up using the SEARCH facility under your username and you could read these to help you decide.

There are also images and descriptions of the Troll Road to be found online if you look.

Should you decide against the shorex, Alesund itself is a lovely port call ( and a favourite of many cruise pax)  as the town has quite a bit to offer and it is very easy to DIY there with no need for any shorex.  Again, many past threads and replies to be found using the SEARCH tool.  This example is worth reading.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2826391-alesund-norway/#comment-62526938

As is this one

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2860877-alesund-in-7-hours-help/#comment-63424351

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

On my trip to Norway, my three favorite ports were Flam, Geiranger and Olden.  In Olden, we visited the Loen skylift, so it looks like you have a great itinerary, since you also have Alesund, which I haven't visited but is much beloved on these forums.  

In Flam, the absolute highlight is the railroad, so book that first for whichever journey you want.

You may have additional time before or after the railroad, in which case you should feel free to either visit the Stegastein viewing platform  or see if there are any tours that Fjord Safari has that you would enjoy.   In Flam, we had a lovely afternoon visiting a goat farm, exploring the beautiful town of Undredal (the inspiration for the movie Frozen), and then eating local cheeses (including brown caramel goat cheese) and a delicious lunch that was organized by Flam Guide Service ( http://www.fjordsafari.com ). Fjord Safari's booth is located about a minute away from the Flam railway platform, so you will have no problem finding your tour. You can combine this tour with a hike and boat ride along the fjords if your group is all physically fit. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable excursion, which I would highly recommend. We traveled in May, before the goats move to their summer farms so this excursion had to be individually arranged. Flam Guide service stayed in contact with us and gave us updates as they worked to book this reservation, and they also helpfully provided car seats for our children. Our tour guide was highly knowledgable and helpful and this tour was one of the highlights of our cruise, but they have more adventurous tours to consider if you aren't traveling with small children.

In Geiranger, you have chosen the correct tour (although it like much of Norway is highly weather dependent in terms of how much you will be able to appreciate the magnificent view)   After your tour, please note that at the end of the tour, we decided to stop for lunch in Geiranger. We were a little scared to stop at Braserie Posten, since it is in a tourist trap location right near the cruise ship terminal, but the yelp reviews were positive and the food was excellent. There is seating with a beautiful view of the harbor in the back of the restaurant. We went through two bowls of fish soup, since the kids were so happy eating all of it. It is a very short walk from this restaurant to the dock, so this is a nice way to conclude your day in Geiranger. 

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1