Currency Question

ma & mo

My husband and I are traveling on HAL for the first time in April going through the Panama Canal on the Volendam. We are looking for advise as to the ratio of cash v. travelers checks v. ATMS/credit cards. As we are visiting 9 ports and 6 countries with different currencies what does the majority of tourists do?

Like the rest, US dollars. I have never had to use local currency in the Caribbean or Mexico. I always bring a pack ($100) of dollar bills they are the universal money. One thing to be aware of is the use of credit cards. After a recent trip somebody in Mexico used the numbers off my credit card to charge $900 worth of jewelry. Fortunatley my credit union was on the ball and called me immediatley and they stopped the payment. I wouldnt use a credit card on shore anymore. ATM's are all right if you can find one. Or you can always get a cash advance on the ship, and also cash travelers checks at the front desk.

The cash advance wil cost you 3%. On my recent 62 day Pacific trip the ship did have foreign exchange for the country we were in port at. Again they did not loose any money in the exchange!

I don't recommend using your credit card for shopping, due to the extremely high incidence of credit card theft in the region. We take a few hundred dollars in cash, and free travelers checks from AAA, which can be cashed on board. Some local merchants will accept traveler's checks, but you may receive your change in local currency. It is best to take quite a few small denomination bills for local shopping along with your cash. We do take a credit card for medical emergency use only.

Archived