Question on changing cruisers

My brother is taking a cruise in July and had planned on taking two of his kids.  The final payment date is tomorrow.  One of the kids had something to come up and isn't gonna be able to make the trip.  As nearly as he found out that information, his other kid that wasn't going originally decided they wanted to go.  He called me and asked if I knew how this would all work out.  I told him I think I can recall in the past one of my kids decided not to go and I received onboard credit for their cruise fare, but things could have changed since then.  Does anyone know how this would handled?  I know you can't just change names, but does the cruise fare of the person not going go into onboard credit, a cruise voucher, or is it lost forever?

Also, the kid that isn't going was bringing two friends with them that also decided not to go and those two had their own cabin.  Both cabins are booked under my brother's name.  No one will be using that cabin now.  What happens to that cruise fare?  I know, this is all a mess.  He's gonna call Carnival today, but I was just wanting to know what the options might be on this.

Edited by ineed-a-vacation
Added more info

So, he really just needs to change the names on the reservation?  That is easily done as long as the primary person on the reservation is going, depending on the rules of the fare type under which he made the reservation.  Most will have a $50 charge to do this, but he has to do it before final payment date in most circumstances.

Edited by Schoifmom

I agree, needs to call Carnival asap and ask but IIRC as long as he is before final payment he can cancel the empty cabin and just lose any non-refundable deposits.  We were able to have named changed last year without paying fee when son and gf broke up, replaced her with his friend. Can't hurt to ask....

Edited by south-carolinagirl
Typo