Cruise port/ airport in LA

rcandkc

From recent experience(s):

Port of Los Angeles, Long Beach, [or, San Pedro--take your pick] CA. Pier 46--at the very, very end of the Quay.   Nearest airport is LAX.  About a 45-minute (depending on day of week as to traffic) 20 mile drive almost due-South from LAX to the extensive Port area. One just keeps driving and driving through the Port complex until running out of land.  You then arrive at Pier 46.  

Do a Google.  

Last time there--October, 2022 when boarding Mariner:  Pier 46 appeared to be a "work-in-progess".  Restrooms were exterior "Honey Pot" types.  Go any further South, and you are really at-sea.  A very rudimentary facility.  Perhaps it has been improved in the interim--or Regent has been assigned a different Pier.  We passed several other berthed cruise ships (and a WWII battleship) at the Port while on the circuitous route to Pier 46.  

GOARMY!

If you have Orange County (John Wayne) airport available as an option, it is not a bad option.  The distance may be further, but the reality of NOT being at LAX is a pleasure.  Long Beach Airport is close and small, but Orange County Airport is a joy compared to the other two.  

• Like 1

TS:

To aid your Google search:  

Insert 3011 Miner Street, Los Angeles, CA 90731.  The picture says it all about being (almost) out-to-sea when at Pier 46.  Whole complex is also referred to as Los Angeles World Cruise Center.  

See, also:  Mariner Roll Call, Page 2.  Topic:  Mariner October 3, 2022.  Particularly Posts 146 and 148.  

GOARMY!

17 hours ago, BettyDol said:

If you have Orange County (John Wayne) airport available as an option, it is not a bad option.  The distance may be further, but the reality of NOT being at LAX is a pleasure.  Long Beach Airport is close and small, but Orange County Airport is a joy compared to the other two.  

I "second" John Wayne.  We are going out of LA in Jan. and we are flying into John Wayne. MUCH easier than the mess at LAX.  And the shuttle to Long Beach isn't much more than LAX to Long Beach, and the flight is much cheaper. 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:25 AM, papaflamingo said:

I "second" John Wayne.  We are going out of LA in Jan. and we are flying into John Wayne. MUCH easier than the mess at LAX.  And the shuttle to Long Beach isn't much more than LAX to Long Beach, and the flight is much cheaper. 

Well, we don’t have a nonstop John Wayne choice that I saw…so lax.  Booked today for January. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I now feel like an idiot.  I couldn’t find any flights to John Wayne.  I didn’t realize AA calling it Santa Ana …sna.  There are plenty.  I’m usually smarter than this 😳.

Don't feel like an idiot.  I'm a retired airline pilot and have been into SNA many times.  I could have easily put SNA in my comments and you would have gone right to it.  Would have made it much easier for you to find. 😎

• Like 1