We Had Dinner With the Diva! (Scarlet Lady)

CruisingWalter

We just discovered that we had dinner with the Diva two nights ago. Of course we didn't know it at the time. We had dinner with three younger folks at Gunbae where they seat you randomly with other guests. We had an amazing conversation all through dinner and we knew he was an entertainer. Even though I follow Carlos' instagram account, and have seen him without the makeup, it didn't click. Of course he never revealed who he really was.

Tonight we recognized Carlos' voice immediately during her cabaret show. She was so gracious when we came up for the photo thanking us for a lovely evening at dinner. This is our second cruise with Carlos and she is one of the most lovely human beings I have had the pleasure of breaking bread with. This could very well be one of the most cool things that has ever happened in our nearly 20 years of cruising. 🙂

carlos.jpg

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 18

• CruisingWalter changed the title to We Had Dinner With the Diva! (Scarlet Lady)
Just now, cantgetin said:

Was your cruise full?  I'm curious about crew eating in guest restaurants, which has been restricted on most full or near full cruises.

According to the bartenders we were around 1800. If the cruise is near capacity they won't have the space to allow crew to eat in the restaurants. But this cruise was similar to ours in July. We saw crew enjoying meals throughout the ship. Carlos was not wearing a name badge, but then she never does. The Diva has her own rules. 🙂 I'm actually really glad we didn't connect the dots during dinner. It was just one of those 'cruise moments' where all 5 of us fell into a conversation like we've known each other for years. We really enjoyed the meal with all three of them. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info,  Yes, I have heard that the "alternative crew rules" start at 2000 Sailors, but can't verify that.  Glad you had a great time.  And yes, I do realize that there is a difference between entertainers and regular crew.  

15 minutes ago, Teleduck said:

Very cool!

How was the BBQ?

Gumbae is GREAT.  The first time they offer to bring you an assortment of the most popular items (you can get more of anything you want.  On repeat visits we knew what we wanted and ordered only those items.  We've had great and not so great seating groups...nothing bad, but 2 of us were seated with a group of non-English speakers. One member of the group acted as a translator for the server, the others never spoke a word.  We exchanged smiles and made it work.  The marinated beef is amazing!

First, it was nice to meet you and your wife in person on this cruise! We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise, and we loved this crew! I actually rank this crew a close 2nd to our first group on the three cruises we've done with VV. It's our second time seeing Carlos perform. I would have liked a change of Diva, however, he's SO GOOD! During the Bingo with the Diva, we happened to sit next to the Diva's cousin (so I know his real name 😉 ) and saw him around the ship without his makeup and he's a cutie! I am jealous you got to do a dinner with him. I am not sure what I would have said if I was in your shoes at Gunbae (btw - we LOVE that marinated beef the best!). I asked a few crew about the # of guests and some said 1800 and more of them said 1700 so I am guessing it's somewhere in the middle but from the feel of the crowds, I am thinking it was less than 1800. We can't wait to go back again!

• Like 1

Walter - this is so very cool. We were on the same sailing of SL.We didn't have the pleasure of dining with Carlos but definitely enjoyed the entertainment at bingo. we were sitting right next to the winner of the second game. So close but yet so far! Thanks for posting the estimated number of passengers. We meant to ask one of the bartenders but forgot. I regret not reaching out to say hello to you in person while on this sailing. Thanks again for your YouTube videos that helped us to plan and prepare. 

Edited by look2thec
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 9:19 PM, look2thec said:

I regret not reaching out to say hello to you in person while on this sailing. Thanks again for your YouTube videos that helped us to plan and prepare. 

Next time! Thanks so much for the kind words and I'm so happy the videos are helpful. We'll be on Valiant Lady for Thanksgiving on November 18th. At least that's our next planned sailing. We might just have to sneak back on Scarlet between now and then. 🙂 

On 4/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, babalooo said:

First, it was nice to meet you and your wife in person on this cruise! We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise, and we loved this crew!

It was so awesome to meet you as well!!! That was an awesome cruise, and yes, Carlos looks amazing as his 'alter ego.' You know I follow Carlos on Instagram and I still didn't recognize him at dinner. But like I said, I think that made it even better and more natural. 🙂