Advice on best use of FAS+ and Platinum dining on Joy

Number34

Have just booked an 11 night cruise in The Haven on the Joy for November. With FAS+ and my Platinum status I reckon that gives us 6 nights dining in speciality restaurants. I don’t see any point in paying for more speciality meals as The Haven is pretty good. I have read Keith Jenners guide to booking speciality meals but it is rather old now so I would welcome some up to date advice on the best way to maximise the FAS+ and Platinum benefits. Of the restaurants on Joy that I have visited on other ships my favourites in order are Le Bistro, Cagneys, Teppanyaki and lastly La Cucina. That leaves two choices to be made and I am very tempted by the Q BBQ one as it is not something that is easy to try here in the UK!

I didn’t think that I recommended any restaurants in particular in my guide, which is probably an indication as to how long it is since I’ve read it. I think I’ve been saying for over a year now that I need to do an update. 🙂

Anyway, we are on the Joy next year with the same 6 meals as you and I think that we will be doing Cagneys, Ocean Blue, La Cucina, Q, Teppanyaki and Food Republic (maybe a couple of times sharing). My wife isn’t really fussed about either Le Bistro or Ocean Blue so I get to choose one of them each cruise (when there is an Ocean Blue), so that may change.

There are only 7 speciality restaurants on the Joy (maybe 8 if American Diner is included, but I wouldn’t use a credit there anyway), so really it is just a case of deciding on one to miss.

Keith & Lisa thanks for your replies, Food Republic looks interesting.

I do notice that Platinum meals are 3 courses whereas SPD are 4, are there any benefits to be had when choosing which one to use? For example Platinum or SPD in Le Bistro?

My upcoming July Joy cruise is the first where I had to make decisions between Platinum and SDP meals. My main calculation was to use the SDP meals at the places where we would want to eat more (as it’s 4 courses vs. 3 with a Platinum meal). So, we’ll be using SDP meals at Cagney’s and La Cucina (if there was a Moderno there’s no way we’d be doing La Cucina, as we’re Italian American New Yorkers so it’s kind of a joke 🙊 lol, but it’s not terrible and the little man loves pizza so 🤷🏻‍♀️). We’re using a Platinum at Q, and then we’ll either use the other 2 Platinum coupons (we’ll have 4 total as we have 2 cabins) for 2 Food Republic meals or for one FR and one American Diner (probably a waste for most people but little man will get a kick out of the car booths). Here’s my take on one thing, though. My opinion, worthless as it is, is to use a Platinum meal for Teppanyaki if you plan to go since that’s a price fixed complete meal. I wouldn’t use a SDP meal that would get me 4 courses elsewhere at a price fixed place where a Platinum voucher would work. 

The one I would skip would be Q, not because it's necessarily bad but just way too much food, followed closely by LaCucina (only had a good meal there once and that was on the Jade). We do enjoy Food Republic and sometimes pay out of pocket for lunch.  I have also gone to Q and just gotten an app and dessert (plus the Spicy Peach Margarita...a favorite) and paid out of pocket there...no need to waste a free meal. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Slightly off topic but related to number of courses. Is Le Bistro the only restaurant that offers a cheese course? I’m wondering if there is a cheese trolley in some of the others, perhaps The Haven?

I cruised Joy in March. We went to five specialty restaurants:

1. American Diner - lunch on embarkation day is included for Haven guests

2. La Cucina

3. Q

4. Teppanyaki

5. Food Republic - we went for lunch. Glad we did as the eight included items for two would not have been enough for dinner. 

If you are curious about our experience, and want photos of the food, check out my live (not really live) here, starting with page 14: 

Food Republic and Ocean Blue are our favorites on the Joy.

One plus about the Joy is that Le Bistro has outdoor seating on the Waterfront. It's lovely in the evenings if you're in port late. On some of the other Breakaway/Plus type ships, Le Bistro is tucked away inside; we like the outdoor option better.

For the others:

• Cagney's is always solid.
  • La Cucina is good, but can be hit-or-miss.
  • Teppenyaki is fun the first time but kind of meh the more you see it.
  • Q wasn't bad but didn't blow me away—less than memorable.

For our upcoming cruise on the Joy, we declined the Free at Sea Dining Package, since we have Latitudes vouchers + a Le Bistro cert from our TA. 3 specialties on a 7 day cruise is more than enough; we like the MDR and you don't feel like you need to be rolled out of there.

Like several others here, we have a total of 4 specialty dinners - 2 Platinum & 2 FAS. I want to make some reservations now. What order should I use so I don't have to pay in advance? Since only Teppanyaki has a fixed cover charge, should that one be first to make a reservation?

1 minute ago, tempus137 said:

Like several others here, we have a total of 4 specialty dinners - 2 Platinum & 2 FAS. I want to make some reservations now. What order should I use so I don't have to pay in advance? Since only Teppanyaki has a fixed cover charge, should that one be first to make a reservation?

Correct. Teppanyaki is the only one you need to worry about making first. The others will show up as a la carte, but you won't need to pay for them. You'll make payment/specialty dining credit arrangements when you're onboard.