Vancouver food

Gregrat

Flying into Vancouver a couple of days early before our cruise.

We enjoy casual layed back places to eat with sandwiches and good appetizers, pub atmosphere etc.

Need some local recommendations.

Thanks!

Here are a couple of ideas to build on:

One of my favourite sandwich shops is Meat & Bread.  They have a couple of outlets in downtown Vancouver but they are generally only open for lunch and not all locations are open on the weekends.  They don't have a big menu with a few sandwiches and a couple of sides that rotate.  However, they're known for their porchetta sandwich which is always on the menu.

Stanley Park Brewpub is a casual pub with solid food and great mix of beers.  The only issue is it's kind of in an awkward location on the edge of Stanley Park near English Bay but is fine if you are in the area for a walk.  

Cactus Club is kind of a safe but generic choice.  They're a big casual chain but have great locations in downtown Vancouver at English Bay and at Jack Poole Plaza by the Olympic Cauldron/Convention Centre west.  I think their food is solid but kind of pricey for what it is.  (You can also kind of lump in a few other chains like Earls, JoeysBrowns Socialhouse and kind of Tap & Barrel that are similar and scattered around downtown but don't have as great of locations.  A few have decent happy hours though.)

+1 on all Milhouses suggestions from me, except maybe Stanley Park Brewpub (personally I find the beers at mediocre - if you are from Original Brummieland in England @Gregrat you're more likely to share my opinion on that front I wager, whereas if it's the Alabama one you'll likely find their beers more to your taste). Yaletown Brewing can sometimes feel very pubby - depends on the other patrons what the vibe is, it gets very Fratboy on the weekends but weekday early evenings can be good - this used to be our local when we first moved here as there were a few great staff to chat with when it wasn't too busy and I particularly enjoyed the then-brewmasters weekly cask ale special.

Very few bars downtown have any kind of real 'pub vibe' except some dive joints and Expat bars - so if the important thing is to linger enjoying the craic, in the core I'd add Moose's Down Under to the list (it's both literally down under, in a basement, as well as figuratively due to being an Aussie bar!) and if you don't mind getting a little out of the core into Chinatown the Irish Heather is definitely less 'Fake Oirish' than any Mahoney's 'pub' and The London is English enough that I, as a Scotsman, actually dislike it! 😉

Further up Main St, The Narrow is the vibe-iest little almost-all-locals dive bar you'll find without going anywhere scary (dank and dark, sticky floor - but also with a wee patio out back) and the Cascade Room is fairly pubby in a Wetherspoonsy sort of way, with a passable Sunday Roast.

With a caveat: since it's now under new management the Alibi Room may no longer have the same atmosphere/as good a kitchen, I honestly can't say as we haven't been, but back in TheBeforeTimes it had very solid food options and the best beer selection in Western Canada so was my go-to recco for anyone who wants to sample lots of local beers without having to tour multiple breweries.

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, martincath said:

+1 on all Milhouses suggestions from me, except maybe Stanley Park Brewpub (personally I find the beers at mediocre - if you are from Original Brummieland in England @Gregrat you're more likely to share my opinion on that front I wager, whereas if it's the Alabama one you'll likely find their beers more to your taste). Yaletown Brewing can sometimes feel very pubby - depends on the other patrons what the vibe is, it gets very Fratboy on the weekends but weekday early evenings can be good - this used to be our local when we first moved here as there were a few great staff to chat with when it wasn't too busy and I particularly enjoyed the then-brewmasters weekly cask ale special.

Very few bars downtown have any kind of real 'pub vibe' except some dive joints and Expat bars - so if the important thing is to linger enjoying the craic, in the core I'd add Moose's Down Under to the list (it's both literally down under, in a basement, as well as figuratively due to being an Aussie bar!) and if you don't mind getting a little out of the core into Chinatown the Irish Heather is definitely less 'Fake Oirish' than any Mahoney's 'pub' and The London is English enough that I, as a Scotsman, actually dislike it! 😉

Further up Main St, The Narrow is the vibe-iest little almost-all-locals dive bar you'll find without going anywhere scary (dank and dark, sticky floor - but also with a wee patio out back) and the Cascade Room is fairly pubby in a Wetherspoonsy sort of way, with a passable Sunday Roast.

With a caveat: since it's now under new management the Alibi Room may no longer have the same atmosphere/as good a kitchen, I honestly can't say as we haven't been, but back in TheBeforeTimes it had very solid food options and the best beer selection in Western Canada so was my go-to recco for anyone who wants to sample lots of local beers without having to tour multiple breweries.

We don't drink at all so have no idea about these or any other "drinkeries" but your descriptions make me want to visit the places you've suggested just to see the drama of it all. I'm a ten pound pom from way back lol

20 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

We don't drink at all so have no idea about these or any other "drinkeries" but your descriptions make me want to visit the places you've suggested just to see the drama of it all. I'm a ten pound pom from way back lol

Being sober in the pub is some of the finest people-watching you can ever do! As well as years tending bar, I've also done the Designated Driver thing on many occasions for friends and family, always entertaining 😉

• Haha 1

I think it would be a shame to go to Vancouver and not have Chinese/dim sum while there. The two best areas in North America for Chinese food and dim sum are Vancouver/Richmond and LA's San Gabriel Valley.

If that appeals, I will have some suggestions.

Other than that, let me pitch Orange County's very own Chronic Tacos on the Waterfront in BC (next to A&W, also very worthwhile).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, martincath said:

Being sober in the pub is some of the finest people-watching you can ever do! As well as years tending bar, I've also done the Designated Driver thing on many occasions for friends and family, always entertaining 😉

Agree 100% 😁🤪😵‍💫

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

think it would be a shame to go to Vancouver and not have Chinese/dim sum while there. The two best areas in North America for Chinese food and dim sum are Vancouver/Richmond and LA's San Gabriel Valley.

We will be in Vancouver in a few weeks, so I would take your Dim Sum recommendations.  Thank you my friend!

• Like 1

If interesting beer is the focus, I'd probably suggest the craft breweries in east Vancouver but I'm not sure if it's worth it for a tourist since the area can feel sketchy.  And most don't have great kitchens/food options though some team up with some good food trucks.  

I have to give Chronic Tacos another go.  First time we ate there, we really enjoyed it.  For some reason, during a couple of subsequent vists, we only thought it was meh and they closed the location we went to for redevelopment so we haven't been back to a new location.

If you have a car, Western Lake on Victoria is our go to but the queue on the weekends is ridiculous unless you make resos.  It's a neighbourhood joint so not fancy, hectic, but reasonably priced.  Closer to downtown, Jade Dynasty in Chinatown is a reasonable option.  I was pleasantly surprised when I went there with a few friends to give it try.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We will be in Vancouver in a few weeks, so I would take your Dim Sum recommendations.  Thank you my friend!

Here are the ones I like the best, but there are another half dozen, just as good;

Western Lake, Neptune Palace, Dinesty Dumpling House, Jade Dynasty and Kam Wai Dim Sum (takeout to enjoy in my room, overlooking the harbor).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@scottca075, Thank you my friend!

We are taking Amtrak up, so will arrive around lunchtime.  Staying at the Pan Pacific before getting on the ship the next morning.  Knowing those parameters, any of your favorite places move to the top of you list?

Jade, Dinesty and Kirin are all walking distance and while Victoria Chinese isn't my favorite, it is close (inside the Royal Centre) it does have a nice Hong Kong dim sum vibe.

• Thanks 2

Throwing in a few more random Vancouver food suggestions, albeit outside of the original parameters:

Tacofino (multiple locations but Gastown is the best) for the fish tacos and margaritas.

Mello in Chinatown for amazing donuts.

Pourhouse in Gastown for the most amazing burger and speakeasy-style cocktails.

Jam Cafe for brunch if you don't mind the lineup and squeezed-close-together tables. Get the pulled pork pancakes or the bennys. Warning: all portions are HUGE.

Nuba (locations in Gastown and Yaletown) has the best Lebanese food in town. Order the Najib's Special cauliflower!

Steamworks in Gastown is practically port-adjacent and is pub-like? There's beer.

Mahoney's isn't perhaps my favourite food, but it's publike, close to the port, and on a sunny day is a great spot to watch other cruise ships depart.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 11:51 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would take your Dim Sum recommendations.

Some additional places to research along nearby Broadway just outside of downtown...

• Dynasty on Broadway that serves Cantonese Dim Sum instead of Dinesty's XLB's.
  • Regal Mansion across from city hall
  • the new Seaport City that opened above Whole Paycheck (former Milestone) has been an incredible hit on quality to everyone I have taken there.

Reservations STRONGLY recommended for their popularity.

Tip... if you visit these places in the evening... they even offer Live King Crab dinners Vancouver style if there's a group of 6 or 8 of you.  Amazing to see your dinner running across the table. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBZEm92-0Hw&t=772s 

Edited by xlxo
  • Thanks 1

Ramen Danbo - worth the wait (there is almost always a wait), I am not a huge Ramen fan in the sense where I crave it and I now crave that Ramen

Go Ask Luigi -  small handmade pasta in East Gastown - reservations highly recommended but they leave spots open for walk ins

Miku -  Right by Pacific Place - pricey, but the Pressed Sushi rolls are fantastic

Miko - A small, local sushi joint that feels like you're in Japn

Yasma -  delicious Lebonese food that's right by Stanley Park. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:26 AM, scottca075 said:

I think it would be a shame to go to Vancouver and not have Chinese/dim sum while there. The two best areas in North America for Chinese food and dim sum are Vancouver/Richmond and LA's San Gabriel Valley.

Other than that, let me pitch Orange County's very own Chronic Tacos on the Waterfront in BC (next to A&W, also very worthwhile).

I'm very familiar with San Gabriel Valley dim sum and how delicious it is, so this is very promising for our own upcoming Vancouver trip!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:50 PM, scottca075 said:

Here are the ones I like the best, but there are another half dozen, just as good;

Western Lake, Neptune Palace, Dinesty Dumpling House, Jade Dynasty and Kam Wai Dim Sum (takeout to enjoy in my room, overlooking the harbor).

Are any of these within walking distance of the Pan Pacific?

4 minutes ago, Gregrat said:

Dinesty Dumpling House, Jade Dynasty and Kam Wai Dim Sum all are and while Victoria Chinese Restaurant in the Royal Centre isn't my favorite, it is good and 850 meters (give or take) from the Pan Pacific.

2 hours ago, Gregrat said:

While personally I agree with Scott, I think we should check in about how far YOU think is walking distance Greg! Jade is the next-closest at just a hair under a mile on foot from the PP into Chinatown; Kam Wai and Dinesty are both a little over a mile, the latter toward Stanley Park though so a little flatter. There's a bit of a downhill slope toward Chinatown which means that walking back with a full tum from Jade or Kam Wai is a lot more work than walking to them while hungry! 😉

2 minutes ago, martincath said:

While personally I agree with Scott, I think we should check in about how far YOU think is walking distance Greg! Jade is the next-closest at just a hair under a mile on foot from the PP into Chinatown; Kam Wai and Dinesty are both a little over a mile, the latter toward Stanley Park though so a little flatter. There's a bit of a downhill slope toward Chinatown which means that walking back with a full tum from Jade or Kam Wai is a lot more work than walking to them while hungry! 😉

These are all well within Lee Ann and my walking parameters.

‘Looking forward to the food AND the walk!

Thank you for the recommendations in Vancouver.

Not to hijack this thread, but..

Any ideas near Pan Pacific for a nice upscale meal? Its a b-day celebration but dont want to spend 100. Ea. We have mobility issues so not too far a walk.

B-day persons faves are Italian and Steak.

Edited by Left_Coast
Spellink

A couple of steak options:

I think an obvious option is Chop Steakhouse which is located across from the Pan Pacific along the side of the Convention Centre West building.  I have not eaten there yet but it's on my list.  Chop is a chain and this location opened about half a year ago.  Apparently it has a very nice room.  

I'm not sure if I'd call Cactus Club upscale but I think it's a reasonable option located on the other side of the Convention Centre West building in Jack Poole Plaza.  It also has a nice room with great views.  My friend kept pestering me to order a steak at Cactus Club and I was pleasantly surprised by it when I did (not at this locaton though).  They're not a steakhouse though so they don't have a wide variety of cuts but serve Certified Angus Beef.

At the edge of where you probably would want to walk (~15mins), there's the Keg, Hy's Steakhouse, (and Gotham Steakhouse).  The Keg is a relatively cheaper steakhouse chain (but still nice) with a variety of AAA grade cuts and typical steakhouse fare/sides/appies.  I find this location's dining room really dark if that's an issue.  Hy's is a smaller steakhouse chain that's a step up from the Keg and serves prime grade beef.  It's probably going to push your $100pp target.  (Gotham is a part of the Hy's group but operates under it's own banner.  It's a la carte and serves prime grade beef but is likely going to be above your $100pp target).